U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,208,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShrek View Post
In a correct world, we wouldn't but this is what we have. You can't hold up your life because race relations and diversity is not what people want. You have to move on. You can't force people to like other people. See, it's very easy to get past this once you try ...and I'm black fyi.
cool and i'm south asian. see we're having a civil conversation right?

but, yeah i agree with your point. we can't change people. they have the
right to feel comfortable in their state, town, neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 AM

419 posts, read 1,162,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I hate lack of Diversity...I can live in it... but I prefer to be able to ask people about their country's heritage, or their Ancestor's heritage.
I went to Walmart today...and I saw everything Imaginable.
I saw Muslims , I saw East-Southeast Asians (mostly Vietnamese and Korean...I know because my area has truck loads of Koreans and I hear the languages which I can automatically tell when they speak), I saw African Americans as Well as Africans. I spoke to one, she was from Cameroon, I saw an Indian father scolding her young daughter who was throwing a fit, I saw Hispanics pondering what type of tool to buy, I pretty sure I encountered both Arab and Middle Asian Muslims.
There were TONS of each sub group, and It just gave me a warm feeling that many people can come to this country and get along as one common people.
I was speaking to one of my Pakistani friends, and he said everyone in Pakistan hates the Indians. But not here, they get along great here
White people are the minority...but this area IS NOT trashy, I would actually deem it upper Class.
But Then I also went to Home Depot, and was expecting a slightly more White population...but it was basically the same.
It made me happy in a weird way, but I guess I'm just a big part of the mix. No one here really discriminates, and If they do I don't notice being a minority myself.

If you are a minority, in an area dominated by minorities... then... how are you a minority? You said you area has a truckload of Koreans and list yourself as Asian and latin american (which also is a sizable group in Dallas)

So, perhaps your comfortable because your in a diverse area, where you are the not the minority? Which is true people don't mind diversity as long as they are the top of the chain. And once again this doesn't apply to everyone... it just stuck out to me when I read your post....

Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That is the way to be. It should be up to the individual to be of good character. Perhaps then as human beings we can all live in peace and race or ethnicity won't matter.

This is ideal, but won't happen when you have a government that makes laws which forces things like race to stick out and be a factor.

It also won't happen if you diversify too much. Cultures clash. People enjoy different cultures yes? They they need to also not integrate with them to much, if everything was all integrated and a perfect happy system cultures would mix, blur, and become bland... and the fear some people have of everything becoming homogeneous would happen.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
lack of diversity breeds ignorance. there is no excuse for that

So those extremely liberal European countries that so many people praise on these forums.... are just ignorant eh? The successful and happy countries that have raised some of the brightest minds today and in history are ignorant?

Which surprisingly I agree with, but for different reasons. Try to find someone that isn't ignorant and i'll give you a cookie. We all have our ignorant ways including you... whats your excuse?

Old 09-25-2008, 11:38 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,776 times
I think diversity will be embraced much more once the stigma (whether true in most cases or not) of minority neighborhoods being crime ridden is lost.

As mentioned before, people tend to feel more comfortable with their same race.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:11 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,208,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
So those extremely liberal European countries that so many people praise on these forums.... are just ignorant eh? The successful and happy countries that have raised some of the brightest minds today and in history are ignorant?

Which surprisingly I agree with, but for different reasons. Try to find someone that isn't ignorant and i'll give you a cookie. We all have our ignorant ways including you... whats your excuse?

oh, i've got no excuse. i'm as ignorant as the best of them

Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,614,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I understand your point, but what if you don't care about different backgrounds and cultures. I for one don't and am quite happy that way.
Well sure, if that's your prerogative than I don't think anyone can say that you're wrong for it. And who's to say you can't live where you live and not be knowledgeable?

But, what I and others think is that it's good and enriching to know about all kinds of people and be exposed to new things. To each his own, I guess.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:58 PM

48,082 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
This is ideal, but won't happen when you have a government that makes laws which forces things like race to stick out and be a factor.

It also won't happen if you diversify too much. Cultures clash. People enjoy different cultures yes? They they need to also not integrate with them to much, if everything was all integrated and a perfect happy system cultures would mix, blur, and become bland... and the fear some people have of everything becoming homogeneous would happen.
The government has always made race a factor. For many years minorities didn't even have certain rights that should be guaranteed to everyone no matter what race or ethnicity you are. The only difference now is that there is affirmative action, which in some cases doesn't always work.

What do you mean exactly with the last paragraph?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 PM

48,082 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShrek View Post
Live where you want around who you want. Just because we share the same country does not mean we have to like each other. Do your own thing in your own part of the Country and others will do their own thing. Exclusive worlds based on race has ALWAYS been part of American life and it will ALWAYS be part of American life. I think some folks are starting to realize that we will NEVER get along and that MLK's dream is a pipe dream. Once you make peace with that, you'll be fine.
Perhaps, but should it be? Why should it be a part of American life? Why should you be denied something because of your race? I don't see MLK's dream as a pipe dream. It isn't happening because alot of people don't want it to happen. I see part of the Civil Rights struggle as a right to be able to do anything, travel anywhere, and live anywhere you want no matter what race you are. I sound like a dreamer, but what I am is someone who looks at things from what they could be, what they are, and what I think they should be. If I want to go to some small town and spend the night for some peace and quiet, that should be my prerogative. If you want to do your thing, that should be your prerogative.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,982,819 times
Lack of Diversity works for me, as long as there are Hispanics and Whites..
Not Racist, just showing my opinion.. or mmmm something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or