U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:03 PM

419 posts, read 1,162,791 times

Advertisements

I read through City Data and see people saying "Which is city is diverse? I wish this city was more diverse, there is not a much diversity."

Then you also see the people of minority groups saying "Hey, where can I move that has more people like me???"

Studies show the happiest countries in the world are the ones with the least diversity.

Quote:

"Immigration can contribute to lower average levels of happiness in a number of of ways. For example, it makes a population larger and therefore makes each person less important and less influential to the whole. Also, with ethnic diversity comes less trust and less commonly held values. A population that is more diverse in values about how a society should be organized is one where far fewer are likely to be satisfied about the rules and about what governments do and require."

"Adrian White, an analytic social psychologist at the University’s School of Psychology, analysed data published by UNESCO, the CIA, the New Economics Foundation, the WHO, the Veenhoven Database, the Latinbarometer, the Afrobarometer, and the UNHDR, to create a global projection of subjective well-being: the first world map of happiness.

He found small affluent homogeneous countries make for greater happiness."

Curious what others think of this? Perhaps the topic has been brought up before. Much of what i've seen on City Data seems to support this, many of the people saying they want more diverse areas seem to be

1. White people saying they live around to many white people (perhaps society has them believing this is bad?)

2. Other races saying they live around to many white people and wanting more diversity, through really want they mean is they want to be around more people like themselves.

I've seen this from my own travels in Europe. This is not to say people don't want other ethnicities around, but I think they definitely like to stay 90% majority in many cases.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:08 PM

708 posts, read 2,410,141 times
Austin is not by any means diverse, but I'm pretty sure I'm more happy here than I was living in the boring 90% hispanic city I lived in before moving here. Of course, that's not to say diversity is for everyone, but there are certainly people who'd much rather enjoy living somewhere diverse than somewhere homogeneous, including myself.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:10 PM

32,346 posts, read 55,148,798 times
I've seen several threads here asking which place has the most white people and others asking where there is little diversity.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I've seen several threads here asking which place has the most white people and others asking where there is little diversity.
I said most, not all (in reference to types of threads on this subject).... and that just further supports what studies have shown.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
I said most, not all (in reference to types of threads on this subject).... and that just further supports what studies have shown.
That people should have the right to live where they want and around whom they want?

There's nothing wrong with that is there?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Austin is not by any means diverse, but I'm pretty sure I'm more happy here than I was living in the boring 90% hispanic city I lived in before moving here. Of course, that's not to say diversity is for everyone, but there are certainly people who'd much rather enjoy living somewhere diverse than somewhere homogeneous, including myself.
Austin is 65% anglo... 30% Latino (which many Latinos look and are classified as white also, some of course can be other races as well, the major difference being where they are from usually in regards to born in the US, or migrated to the US).

Basically are you Hispanic? Do you Identify with Hispanics more?

Example. I have a friend of mine who is asian, who grew up in Taiwan, moved here when she was 14 and when she graduated moved to SF to be around more asians, she feels more comfortable there. However I have another friend who is also asian, she was adopted and raised by a white family. She is more comfortable around white people as thats how she was raised and what she identifies with.

Of course i'm not saying this is everyone or all people.... just saying that studies show different people tend to not be so happy when they mix to much.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
That people should have the right to live where they want and around whom they want?

There's nothing wrong with that is there?
I never said there is... but do you think perhaps there is a possibility that there is so much emphasis on diversity in the US as people are trying to be political correct and not offend anyone?

If it goes against the natural order of how human nature works... it could be having a negative effect?

I don't know.... read about the study, considered what i've read on here and seen in my own life, and wanted to see others thoughts. You seem to be getting defensive about me posing the question? I never said people shouldn't have the right to live where they want... so why bring that up?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
I never said there is... but do you think perhaps there is a possibility that there is so much emphasis on diversity in the US as people are trying to be political correct and not offend anyone?
No, I think people value the contributions that people of other cultures bring to the table and that's why they like diversity, of course there are pretenders but why would someone who doesnt have to be in that environment stay there if they really dont like diversity and would be much better off with their own kind?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:51 PM

337 posts, read 1,386,240 times
It's a natural human trait to want to live around your own kind. No need to feel guilty for that.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
No, I think people value the contributions that people of other cultures bring to the table and that's why they like diversity, of course there are pretenders but why would someone who doesnt have to be in that environment stay there if they really dont like diversity and would be much better off with their own kind?
Maybe they don't have a choice? I'm not saying it's everyone... but studies clearly show the majority of people are happiest when they are with people like themselves.

What I am saying however is that I think we can all agree, the US promotes diversity whether it is through school, affirmative action, jobs who make employees attend diversity training, etc.... if studies show that people are happiest when there is no diversity, perhaps the focus should be more on equality(which there is a lot of focus on as well in many aspects) and not so much on diversity? Why focus on something that goes against human nature?

Once again i'm not saying a society can't be diverse, i'm saying perhaps if it happens let it happen, but not to focus on it and try to force it to become that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or