U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:24 PM

338 posts, read 477,698 times

Advertisements

How come the American coins/˘ents doesn't show the number on them instead of their nicknames or names. People outside of the U.S. or people who's not used to it doesn't know them. This happened to many people who came to stores, want's to pay with coins but doesn't understand them. Canadian Coins, Euro Coins etc. has number on them but not the American Coins. How would people know what ''Dime, Nickel, Penny, Quarter etc. means? They should put number on the coins!
Even if they put small "One Cent" or "Five Cents" very small doesn't help. Why not put 1, 5, 10, 25 instead of their nicknames or ''One cent, Quarter'' etc?!

I myself is used and know the coins, but many other people, such as tourist doesn't know them, even my mom doesn't know them because she can't speak english. All other currency's has number on it except USA. USA is always different from other countries on everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,348,530 times
They do say the amount. "One Cent" "Five Cents" "Quarter Dollar" "Half Dollar" "One Dollar".

Is it really that difficult?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 PM

338 posts, read 477,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
They do say the amount. "One Cent" "Five Cents" "Quarter Dollar" "Half Dollar" "One Dollar".

Yes for people who don't live in America or can't read.
Why not just put numbers, it's much easier so everybody could understand.
How would they know what "Dime" and "Quarter" means? OK, if they want don't want to put number, they could say "Ten cents" and "Twenty Five Cents"

Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 AM

2,914 posts, read 4,256,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
How would they know what "Dime" and "Quarter" means? OK, if they want don't want to put number, they could say "Ten cents" and "Twenty Five Cents"
If these fictitious people don't live in America, who cares? If Americans go where these fictitious people do live, why can't they stamp their money in common everyday English, you know, the language the majority recognizes? And for those who can't read, there is always symbolism, you know the kind: size, material makeup, graphics, etc.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:57 AM

11,182 posts, read 22,403,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post

Yeah, for people in other countries it's more difficult than it needs to be. Outside Europe a majority of people on earth speak no English.

I know in Argentina, Iceland, Norway, mainland Europe, UK, Sweden, Poland and Switzerland I just took it for granted because all their money said right on it

of whatever the local currency is.

Obviusly people who live here don't even think twice about it, they've been use to memorizing what coins mean what amounts since they were born.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,194,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
The only one that doesn't give the amount is the dime. The quarter says "quarter dollar" which is 1/4 of 100 cents = 25 cents. If you can't do the math, then you probably can't make change anyway. Plus you are supposedly are standing up for those who can't read as well, then suggest spelling out the amounts on coins. Well thought out I might say .

Yet another thread of how we are wrong and the rest of the world is right. Don't like it... move to one of the easy Countries. What is so hard about thinking once in a while. Jeeze, do other Countries wipe for you when you use the restroom also? Why do people expect everything to be equalized down to the lowest mental level, and everything be spoon fed to them. If you are smart enough to get dressed in the morning it will not be hard to figure out what a few coins mean, if not you shouldn't be handling money without supervision anyway.

Last edited by Bydand; 09-21-2008 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-21-2008, 10:16 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,194,892 times
Why do I get the distinct feeling this is the same person NorthNJ was. Funny how NorthNJ stopped posting the same time Mattias started, both are from NJ, both post here bitching about metric -vs- US measurements, and both also post frequently about Sweden. Same lame arguments, and same childish complaints.

Isn't there something in the TOS about having multiple accounts?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:32 PM

681 posts, read 2,773,640 times
I think he has a pretty good point. The government has put so much thought into re-designing the paper money over the last ten years or so, but hasn't done much to the coinage at all.

As the state quarter program (and the Lewis and Clark nickels) have shown, there are a lot of cool things you can do with the back of a coin. I don't see any reason not to redesign the coins to have a more modern, international look--and a more recognizable way of showing what they're worth. I also wouldn't mind kicking the penny to the curb, but that's for another time.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:36 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,515,066 times
It's American money and the coins have been working just fine for many years now, no need to go and change the whole design just so a few people can better see what a coin is worth.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:45 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,178,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Why do I get the distinct feeling this is the same person NorthNJ was. Funny how NorthNJ stopped posting the same time Mattias started, both are from NJ, both post here bitching about metric -vs- US measurements, and both also post frequently about Sweden. Same lame arguments, and same childish complaints.

Isn't there something in the TOS about having multiple accounts?
There seems to be a lot of that type of activity going on here lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.