U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,999,565 times

Advertisements

What the BIA will be checking for is if you have a qualifying ancestor on the Dawes Rolls or one of the other official registers that were compiled during the many relocations. If your ancestors did not acquiesce to forcible relocation and more or less disappeared into white society, you're probably SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 05:51 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,790,768 times
YES...SOL for that direction I guess. My fahter-in-law was not raised on a reservation. Nor were his parents...

Pupmom...thanks for that info on those colleges...I'll keep that in mind. From your other posts...we live in the same development...Thanks again NEIGHBOR!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:13 PM

135 posts, read 365,623 times
Default advice

it takes more than having some native blood. you're family needs to belong to a tribe and cherokee is the most difficult to prove/be accepted. they have a deep rooted blood quantum debate that is ongoing. i don't blame them really; every soul that hears a family rumor of some past ancestor being cherokee has tried to join up.
find her family's -census records, check the dawes rolls, photographs, birth certificates, etc..
i do hope you want her to be recognized because of native pride and not just to get something free from the gov't.
good luck

Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 PM

Interesting....
Well she is who she is...and she is proud of herself and her heritage.
That said...I was inquiring to see if she could get a (free) scholarship, not by cheating and lying, but merely by being who she is. I don't plan on her joinging a tribe to get $1,000. a year for college if that is what your thinking!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM

135 posts, read 365,623 times
i didn't mean to imply that, or to offend. being native myself, you can't imagine how many times people have asked me how to go about getting money because their great-grandparents were native. there was never any interest in learning about the heritage itself. it's become very frustrating to me.
sorry if it sounded accusing. i really meant to point out the difficulties due to abuse by other people.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,716,813 times
Talk to your daughter(and doctor) about getting her blood tested.
Now this will be completely useless if your wife is of full European ancestry.
Because only the female passes this trait thingy, so all offspring recieve this from their mother and only their mother.
I forget why, my parents were doctors and got their blood tested. and mine as well.
My father is Chinese, and my mother Mexican...
so the results came with a map showing where I was from, it had an arrow that went down to Central America from Alaska that came from Asia, and from there from Africa.
My dad's came from Africa and went straight to China.
If you wife's has spent a few generations here it is quite possible she might be of Native American decent as well and you'd be able to show that by this blood test thing.
Anyways, if that is not an option. Find out what tribe(s) your father came from, and have a blood test of him...i don't know... there is more then one way to do it.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:33 PM

3,509 posts, read 7,321,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Talk to your daughter(and doctor) about getting her blood tested.
Now this will be completely useless if your wife is of full European ancestry.
Because only the female passes this trait thingy, so all offspring recieve this from their mother and only their mother.
I forget why, my parents were doctors and got their blood tested. and mine as well.
My father is Chinese, and my mother Mexican...
so the results came with a map showing where I was from, it had an arrow that went down to Central America from Alaska that came from Asia, and from there from Africa.
My dad's came from Africa and went straight to China.
If you wife's has spent a few generations here it is quite possible she might be of Native American decent as well and you'd be able to show that by this blood test thing.
Anyways, if that is not an option. Find out what tribe(s) your father came from, and have a blood test of him...i don't know... there is more then one way to do it.
Very interesting. How much does it cost to do this?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Very interesting. How much does it cost to do this?
I'm sure more than any scholarship!

Mountaingirl...I perfectly understand where you are coming from.
I'm sure in your position, it must be frustrating. My daughter has no one in our family to educate her on her heritage. This would be her paternal great grandfather, and he left the family when his children were small. Her paternal great grandmother is now deceased. Both were Indian.
I'm hoping she gets her scholarship by using her brains at this point!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:48 AM

4,135 posts, read 9,428,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
My daughter is one quarter American Indian and has heard she might be eligible for some scholarships for American Indians. Some require proof.
How do I prove that my father-in-law is an American Indian? He has never belonged to a tribe.
Anyone know?
If the tribal connection is to one of the Six Nations, the bloodline is matralineal ( through the mother). My cousin's daughter is married to a Seneca and neither of their children is considered Native American as their mother is Anglo. Lineage is traced in this tradition through the Clan Mother -- then again, the person needs know the clan.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,857,332 times
My wife is in the same boat: she is 1/2 Cherokee, but we can't prove it. Why not? Because....on her dad's birth certificate, instead of it saying "Cherokee", it says "white". He was not white, but 100% Cherokee Indian. Apparently, back in those days, in that part of the country (South Carolina), you were either white, or black....there was nothing else. (???)
Her dad is deceased now 10 years, so it's not like he can go back to his birth place and correct anything...besides, the birth certificate is what it is...an old (incorrect) record...

So now what do we do?

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or