U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2008, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Alvarado, TX
2,914 posts, read 4,253,538 times
Reputation: 794

Advertisements

I could also make a suggestion for all you nay-sayers who think Southerners are just wrong: Pick up a book by James C. Cobb, or Willie Morris, or any of the other modern-day Southern writers who can give a more personal idea to Southerness. Faulkner was great in his day, but I can't read him, too much gloom for me, and I'm a Southerner, and damned proud of it. I won't, however, attempt to impress my feelings and/or beliefs on anyone else. If all anyone can do is cry, whine, and moan about the South, well, evidently, you don't need to be down South, stay where you are. Pffffffffft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
If all anyone can do is cry, whine, and moan about the South, well, evidently, you don't need to be down South, stay where you are. Pffffffffft
My sentiments exactly, DP! I often wonder why so many yankees put so much energy in running down a part of the country they have the choice of never visiting nor occupying, anyway.

It must truly be a yankee thang..and one I confess I will never understand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,309,443 times
Reputation: 1490
Agree w/ other posters that the South, in general was never rich in positive stereotypes, I afraid. I can't think of anything other than fictional characters in books that were very positive Southerners. Since the Civil War many Americans view the South as a place for angry bigots. We know it has changed but still has the highest number of uneducated people in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,953,132 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I could also make a suggestion for all you nay-sayers who think Southerners are just wrong: Pick up a book by James C. Cobb, or Willie Morris, or any of the other modern-day Southern writers who can give a more personal idea to Southerness. Faulkner was great in his day, but I can't read him, too much gloom for me, and I'm a Southerner, and damned proud of it. I won't, however, attempt to impress my feelings and/or beliefs on anyone else. If all anyone can do is cry, whine, and moan about the South, well, evidently, you don't need to be down South, stay where you are. Pffffffffft
Yet another good post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 5,208,735 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I often wonder why so many yankees put so much energy in running down a part of the country they have the choice of never visiting nor occupying, anyway.

It must truly be a yankee thang..and one I confess I will never understand...
They just have too much extra energy anyway...probably too many Starbucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 PM
 
Location: East Peoria, IL
51 posts, read 126,839 times
Reputation: 82
Default My take on why the South is ridiculed

Here's my take. The 60's happened. Everything that was looked down on before became prized, and vice-versa. Before then, you had women jokes ("Now let's take my wife. Please."), ethnic jokes (and no, I won't go there), and so forth.


A saying I came up with: "What one generation abhors, the next generation prizes". My parents' generation (I'm 60 years old) prized: segregation; religious bigotry; racism; cigarettes; Republican values; suburbia, and so forth. So guess what the next generation (mine) did!

I hate to say it, but every era needs its scapegoat. In the late 60s, it was Polish jokes. Now it's blonde jokes. Once it was jokes against women (e.g., women drivers), now it's "Dumb White Males".

Bigotry hasn't gone away or really improved. Once it was socially acceptable (and with no apologies) to decry Blacks, other religions, homosexuals, and so forth. Now it's socially acceptable (and with no apologies) to decry poor Whites, men, heterosexuals ("breeders"). Hurt is hurt, just ask any targeted group.

The South is another example. Before the 1960s, The South was, as you say, portrayed in a very good light: iced tea; a simpler life; Southern hospitality; an escape from winter. Since then, the mainstream view has become: well, you know what it's become. It's everywhere.

I love the South! If it weren't for job and circumstances, I'd move there in a heartbeat.



Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Stereotypes are often based on one side of what people see, in many cases what people want to see. Most Southern literature was written by Southerners and most Southerners wanted to portray their region as an idyllic place where people are nice, friendly, and polite and everyone lives in mansions lines with oak trees and Spanish moss. That is what alot of people wanted to portray. Basically, most Southern writers wanted to portray the Antebellum way of life that they missed.
What happened is that many people began to see another side to the South, an ugly side. Part of it has to do with the news during the 1950's. After Emmitt Till's murder, the Montgomery bus boycott, the bombing of a church in Birmingham, and other events, the idyllic portrayal of the South basically contrasted with reality and reality was grim. What people saw was racism and oppresion, not that it wasn't occuring elsewhere. People outside of the South began to see the South as an oppresive place through the television screen, mostly the news. With television news, images of Appalachia as a poor, relatively backwards place would come. What I see is regionalism. Many Southern writers want to portray their regoin with a sense of pride while many people from outside of the South see the South differently.
That is why the South gets portrayed as a bad place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 AM
 
668 posts, read 2,085,897 times
Reputation: 233
people look down on the south now cause all southerners do when they come up north is "oh well, in the south, we do things like this..." or "in the south, it is better because of this...", when really no northerner could care less. Everybody up here has moved on with life and is on to bigger and better things while the south is stuck in the civil war era. It always seems like the south is always thinking about the north and how we do things, while the north has moved on with its life. It's annoying when a southerner comes to Chicago for instance and talks crap about the way we do things in the north, when really north-south relations are the furthest thing from anybody's mind here and people are too busy with real life to care. It really annoys us, in like a nagging little brother type of way, and that would at least explain my small hostility towards the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2008, 01:12 PM
 
835 posts, read 2,084,232 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
people look down on the south now cause all southerners do when they come up north is "oh well, in the south, we do things like this..." or "in the south, it is better because of this...", when really no northerner could care less. Everybody up here has moved on with life and is on to bigger and better things while the south is stuck in the civil war era. It always seems like the south is always thinking about the north and how we do things, while the north has moved on with its life. It's annoying when a southerner comes to Chicago for instance and talks crap about the way we do things in the north, when really north-south relations are the furthest thing from anybody's mind here and people are too busy with real life to care. It really annoys us, in like a nagging little brother type of way, and that would at least explain my small hostility towards the south.
This looks like a post a Southerner would be making. We hate when people come here and complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
 
668 posts, read 2,085,897 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
This looks like a post a Southerner would be making. We hate when people come here and complain.
That made no sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,529,289 times
Reputation: 10490
I'd like to suggest a possible reason for the change in perception. It seems to me that the change began happening in the mid-1960s, when civil rights legislation began to be enacted. All of a sudden, those Southern traditions began to be seen as an attempt to hang on to the era of slavery...which was no longer acceptable to the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top