U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 PM
 
835 posts, read 1,510,399 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
That made no sense at all.
You don't like people coming to your area and complaining and neither do we.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2008, 12:07 AM
 
668 posts, read 1,441,654 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
You don't like people coming to your area and complaining and neither do we.
since when do northerners complain about the south? I've never even heard
a northerner bring up anything about the south just to make conversation or complain. I hear southerners do it all the time though, like "yankee this..." or "yankee that..." always b**chin and moanin about something stupid that no northerner would ever care to give a second thought to. We really just don't care, as far as were concerned, it's still all the USA, obviously southerners though have a different perspective. Do you really think people in Chicago or NYC or Detroit care about the southern lifestyle or how u all do things?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 02:27 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
22,339 posts, read 17,198,696 times
Reputation: 31531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
What a brilliant response! If only more people on this board could be like that.
Now see, I watch TV, read books, magazines and newspapers and I think of the urban North as a filthy crime ridden place full of loudmouth hypocrites, sissy men (and no, I don't mean gay men) and people who generally think their poop doesn't stink so I guess it depends on your perspective as to what you think is normal (meaning everyone who isn't like you is beneath you), what you are spoon fed by your teachers/professors and the national media (observe where they predominantly work and whose perspective you are getting) and what you prefer to pay attention to when you see stereotypes (meaning which ones make you feel better). You may see the Beverly Hillbillies...I see Archie Bunker, Bill Maher and George Costanza.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 4,447,265 times
Reputation: 747
LOL what's wrong with Bill Maher? Is it that he's smart?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 14,565,844 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
since when do northerners complain about the south? I've never even heard
a northerner bring up anything about the south just to make conversation or complain. I hear southerners do it all the time though, like "yankee this..." or "yankee that..." always b**chin and moanin about something stupid that no northerner would ever care to give a second thought to. We really just don't care, as far as were concerned, it's still all the USA, obviously southerners though have a different perspective. Do you really think people in Chicago or NYC or Detroit care about the southern lifestyle or how u all do things?
Shall I give you some links to posts about that very thing? http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...ml#post6021629


http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...ml#post6017030

louisville Relocation
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
 
668 posts, read 1,441,654 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
OK, that was stupid, first off that insult was directed towards Kentuckians only, not the whole south. Just cause someone insults people from Wisconsin (like a Chicagoan such as myself) does not mean they're insulting the whole midwest then does it? And how do you know the person insulting Kentucky was not from Mississippi or Alabama? Also, nowhere in those posts did someone bring up the "north" vs. "south" arguement, the examples you gave were wayyyy off topic from what we were talking about. And on top of all that, I thought most "real southerners" did not consider Kentucky apart of the so-called "south".

So just face it, all you guys do is complain about the north and you know it just as well as I do. Why don't you guys just move on? I don't see any northerners running around yelling "yeah, union pride! woooo!" Last time I checked, it was 2008, not 1864. You all need to just grow a pair already.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 AM
 
1,435 posts, read 2,641,715 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
They are saying that there are rednecks in every state. Not all Southerners are rednecks. I'm a Southerner but I'm not a redneck. Nothing wrong with being one, IMO. I'm just not
That's true that rednecks are not limited to just the South, they can be found all over the United States. I have met some rednecks in Arizona and Nevada and I don't think anybody would consider Nevada and Arizona to be part of the South.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 14,565,844 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
OK, that was stupid, first off that insult was directed towards Kentuckians only, not the whole south. Just cause someone insults people from Wisconsin (like a Chicagoan such as myself) does not mean they're insulting the whole midwest then does it? And how do you know the person insulting Kentucky was not from Mississippi or Alabama? Also, nowhere in those posts did someone bring up the "north" vs. "south" arguement, the examples you gave were wayyyy off topic from what we were talking about. And on top of all that, I thought most "real southerners" did not consider Kentucky apart of the so-called "south".

So just face it, all you guys do is complain about the north and you know it just as well as I do. Why don't you guys just move on? I don't see any northerners running around yelling "yeah, union pride! woooo!" Last time I checked, it was 2008, not 1864. You all need to just grow a pair already.
The person writing that was from Chicago first of all. Second of all you asked for examples and I gave you them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
1,601 posts, read 934,294 times
Reputation: 1190
There are negative stereotypes about every region of the country. That's all they are - stereotypes. Most of the time you can look past them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 AM
 
415 posts, read 441,932 times
Reputation: 110
What about southern hospitality, musical traditions, and cuisine? Plenty of good stereotypes are still out there!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top