U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,579,463 times

Advertisements

Well, this quickly turned into yet another "bash the south" thread.

If people would get their head out of their hind quarters and quit thinking in stereotypes they would see that people are people everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:49 PM

835 posts, read 2,087,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
since when do northerners complain about the south? I've never even heard
a northerner bring up anything about the south just to make conversation or complain. I hear southerners do it all the time though, like "yankee this..." or "yankee that..." always b**chin and moanin about something stupid that no northerner would ever care to give a second thought to. We really just don't care, as far as were concerned, it's still all the USA, obviously southerners though have a different perspective. Do you really think people in Chicago or NYC or Detroit care about the southern lifestyle or how u all do things?
In a way, you have answered your own question. Southerners do care about the way we live so we don't want a bunch of people coming down here and complaining about it, trying to change it, etc. Why would a Yankee complain about about the South up there when they are not in it?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:57 PM

835 posts, read 2,087,855 times
Quote:
So just face it, all you guys do is complain about the north and you know it just as well as I do. Why don't you guys just move on? I don't see any northerners running around yelling "yeah, union pride! woooo!" Last time I checked, it was 2008, not 1864. You all need to just grow a pair already.
You finished?

Okay good. You could be proud to be from the North. The South sticks out the most from the rest of the United States. We are the least homogenized of any region. We have a certain pride here that might look odd from somewhere else.

We all need to grow a pair already? Sounds funny telling that to a region that has always had a masculine culture.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,185,732 times
^He has probably never been outside the Midwest.

Obviously, some people in Detroit, Chicago and New York care about things down here because as soon as they move here, all they do is complain and say things like "well, in Chicago we did it this way...."

There are ignorant, uninformed and provincial people in every corner of the country. You guys just seem to have more than your fair share.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:45 PM

668 posts, read 2,090,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^He has probably never been outside the Midwest.

Obviously, some people in Detroit, Chicago and New York care about things down here because as soon as they move here, all they do is complain and say things like "well, in Chicago we did it this way...."

There are ignorant, uninformed and provincial people in every corner of the country. You guys just seem to have more than your fair share.
My aunt lives in New Orleans and have friends in Atlanta. I'm pretty familiar with the south. You know how many times I've been called "Yankee" when visiting down there? When I see people from the south up here they're never called "confederate" or whatever the hell you'd call a southerner- see we wouldn't even know how to insult you guys if we wanted to. And you demonstrated my point precisely- how do we "have more than our fair share"? See, what the hell does that mean? We don't have anything more than what you guys have, last time I checked, it was all America. Another southerner just complainin for no reason about nothing. And there is no such thing as "northern pride", we don't even have our own flag, you morons just perceive it that way for the sake of arguing and runnin off your southern pride bull****.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,984,632 times
Quote:
My aunt lives in New Orleans and have friends in Atlanta. I'm pretty familiar with the south. You know how many times I've been called "Yankee" when visiting down there? When I see people from the south up here they're never called "confederate" or whatever the hell you'd call a southerner- see we wouldn't even know how to insult you guys if we wanted to. And you demonstrated my point precisely- how do we "have more than our fair share"? See, what the hell does that mean? We don't have anything more than what you guys have, last time I checked, it was all America. Another southerner just complainin for no reason about nothing. And there is no such thing as "northern pride", we don't even have our own flag, you morons just perceive it that way for the sake of arguing and runnin off your southern pride bull****.
Hmmm, how about the fact that alot of people consider Southerners either ignorant rednecks or flaming racists? I have actually had a teacher of all people move down here and say she honestly didn't think we wore shoes. Lovely.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,188,383 times
I have to take exception to the statement that there are no positive Southern stereotypes. If that is true, it's certainly not keeping myriads of people from other regions from moving here.
When I lived in NY, people would from time to time confide to me that they envied me my Southern heritage and carried very romantic notions of living there. Of course, they would always be careful to keep other NY'ers out of earshot when they did so...too un-PC to carry around ideas like that.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 AM

20,885 posts, read 36,075,484 times
The new south generally has much more in-migration and subsequent job growth compared with the old south. The new south economies grew especially fast in the 1990s, but now most areas are really suffering as a result of this economic downturn.
I almost took a job last year outside of Nashville, TN. That area is really expanding and sprawling even compared to 10 years ago.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:54 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,984,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I have to take exception to the statement that there are no positive Southern stereotypes. If that is true, it's certainly not keeping myriads of people from other regions from moving here.
When I lived in NY, people would from time to time confide to me that they envied me my Southern heritage and carried very romantic notions of living there. Of course, they would always be careful to keep other NY'ers out of earshot when they did so...too un-PC to carry around ideas like that.
That is true too.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,185,732 times
Quote:
Well, this Southern moron is actually from Cleveland. I live here by choice, jocko - as do millions of other people from elsewhere. Better luck next time.

Also, a lot of times the term "Yankee" is a form of endearment here, or they are just pulling your leg in good fun. Trust me, if people meant to insult you here it would be much more direct (regardless of what you may have heard).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or