U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
3,047 posts, read 8,136,535 times
Reputation: 1373

Advertisements

My God, the South is a wonderful place but I hope bitter northerners keep giving it a black eye in their mind's eye and I hope they tell all of their yankee friends how the South sucks. I'm moving from Chicago to the South to get away from all the people who are just as cold as the weather (31 degrees today).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2008, 04:47 PM
 
208 posts, read 540,278 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^He has probably never been outside the Midwest.

Obviously, some people in Detroit, Chicago and New York care about things down here because as soon as they move here, all they do is complain and say things like "well, in Chicago we did it this way...."

There are ignorant, uninformed and provincial people in every corner of the country. You guys just seem to have more than your fair share.
LOL... I remember when I lived in Florida, alot of the northern transplants openly complained about every thing and compared it back to wherever they were from. They do that in Tennessee as well, but it's not as bad. Also Florida seems to attract alot of the ruder transplants for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:00 PM
 
1,965 posts, read 5,785,882 times
Reputation: 1273
I don't agree with the premise of the original post. A lot of people view the South as being like Charleston or Savannah- full of history and beauty, when in reality very little of the South is anything like Charleston or Savannah. People who visit the South on business will often have reactions based on where they are visiting. If they visit Atlanta or Houston, they may come away thinking of strip malls and cheap housing. If they visit Charleston, they may think "how charming". If they visit certain parts of Mississippi or Alabama, it might scare them a bit. People who haven't visited are likely to have varied views on what the south is like.
A lot of "Southerners" also highly identify themselves as "Southern" and seem to believe there is some sort of North/South rivalry, when in fact no such thing exists to "Northerners" (i.e. everyone not from the south).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 06:45 PM
 
668 posts, read 2,084,960 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
A lot of "Southerners" also highly identify themselves as "Southern" and seem to believe there is some sort of North/South rivalry, when in fact no such thing exists to "Northerners" (i.e. everyone not from the south).
THANK YOU! I've been trying to illustrate this the whole time but no seems to get the picture. Like I said, this isn't 1865 people.

repped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 06:49 PM
 
668 posts, read 2,084,960 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Hmmm, how about the fact that alot of people consider Southerners either ignorant rednecks or flaming racists? I have actually had a teacher of all people move down here and say she honestly didn't think we wore shoes. Lovely.
That's not true. Never have I met somebody here in Chicago who has made any of those accusations. Matter of fact, never have I met anybody here (or anywhere in the north) who has ever talked about the south... ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
 
3,628 posts, read 9,209,907 times
Reputation: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
That's not true. Never have I met somebody here in Chicago who has made any of those accusations. Matter of fact, never have I met anybody here (or anywhere in the north) who has ever talked about the south... ever.
yeah, we don't really think of it.

(well, I do, because sadly my family is still down there, and i like to make fun of the town I used to live in. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Reputation: 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I don't agree with the premise of the original post. A lot of people view the South as being like Charleston or Savannah- full of history and beauty, when in reality very little of the South is anything like Charleston or Savannah. People who visit the South on business will often have reactions based on where they are visiting. If they visit Atlanta or Houston, they may come away thinking of strip malls and cheap housing. If they visit Charleston, they may think "how charming". If they visit certain parts of Mississippi or Alabama, it might scare them a bit. People who haven't visited are likely to have varied views on what the south is like.
A lot of "Southerners" also highly identify themselves as "Southern" and seem to believe there is some sort of North/South rivalry, when in fact no such thing exists to "Northerners" (i.e. everyone not from the south).
*sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 11:27 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I don't agree with the premise of the original post. A lot of people view the South as being like Charleston or Savannah- full of history and beauty, when in reality very little of the South is anything like Charleston or Savannah. People who visit the South on business will often have reactions based on where they are visiting. If they visit Atlanta or Houston, they may come away thinking of strip malls and cheap housing. If they visit Charleston, they may think "how charming". If they visit certain parts of Mississippi or Alabama, it might scare them a bit. People who haven't visited are likely to have varied views on what the south is like.
A lot of "Southerners" also highly identify themselves as "Southern" and seem to believe there is some sort of North/South rivalry, when in fact no such thing exists to "Northerners" (i.e. everyone not from the south).
Is it possible to fit any more outdated stereotypes and misconceptions into 10-12 sentences? What is even "scarier" than Mississippi or Alabama is that there are actually people who believe some of this silliness...and they are under the impression that, while the rest of the country grew and advanced through technology, education, smart growth/development, etc. - the South was somehow isolated with no communication from the outside world. We're all just cookie-cutter subdivisions, chain and fast-food restaurants, dial-up internet connections (if at all) and 10th grade educations (if we're lucky)...fanning ourselves in rocking chairs in the front porch sipping a Mint Julep after a long hot day of working in the fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,873,308 times
Reputation: 23217
I'm a Tar Heel born.
I'm a Tar Heel bred.
And when I die,
I'll be a Tar Heel dead.

Think whatever you want and say what you want. If there is a better place to live--GO FOR IT!

We were in Sunday School class discussing all the new people moving in and talking about the different cultures and how easy or hard it was to deal with the new attitudes we were noticing when one little girl said, "I kinda like the idea that there are so many people you can pick and choose who you want to talk to."

So when you come to the good ole South, you might want to remember that we talk to nice people and ignore the rest. It doesn't take you long to figure out on which list you belong, or maybe don't belong. It's an individual thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 AM
 
1,435 posts, read 3,578,272 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Is it possible to fit any more outdated stereotypes and misconceptions into 10-12 sentences? What is even "scarier" than Mississippi or Alabama is that there are actually people who believe some of this silliness...and they are under the impression that, while the rest of the country grew and advanced through technology, education, smart growth/development, etc. - the South was somehow isolated with no communication from the outside world. We're all just cookie-cutter subdivisions, chain and fast-food restaurants, dial-up internet connections (if at all) and 10th grade educations (if we're lucky)...fanning ourselves in rocking chairs in the front porch sipping a Mint Julep after a long hot day of working in the fields.
Many ignorant leftwing liberal Northerners think most Southerners are like the people you see in movies like "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "Mississippi Burning", and "Deliverance".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top