U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,924,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
ehh you can say that about a lot of southners too. especially the ones who think the south won the civil war
That's funny, you actually met a person who thought that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 02:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You can't blame Northerners or foreigners for their impressions of the South - they do it here, too. When you say, "West Coast", what do we think of here FIRST? "Hippies that are politically correct, eat granola all day, surf, and say Dude a lot". Now, we KNOW that's not true about most folks there, but we still think it. Think "New York", and most Southerns immediately think "Rude" - but that's far from true. So, it goes on - the only way to get rid of the stereotypes is to TRAVEL.

You make a good point. There are a lot of stereotypes on this message board.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 16,075,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Because Northerners have a superiority complex.

edit: a lot of Northerners, but not all
This is true in both halves of the nation. There are a lot of misconceptions of the South up here, but there are plenty of misconceptions about the North down there as well (I've seen plenty on both end).

The end result is that these two regions are DIFFERENT. They have been since the beginning on this country ("industrial North, agricultural South," anyone?). The North is more densely populated and is, at least idealistically, more urban and progressive. The South is more sparsely populated and a little more conservative and less urban (read: even the bigger metro areas in the South tend to be a little less dense and spread out). While there are some exceptions and pockets of conservative up North (I'm in Maine, I've seen 'em) and pockets of liberal/ progressive types down South (I've been to Asheville), that's the way it's split for the most part.

Difference is going to breed stereotypes and generalizations... it always does. The fact of the matter is that the liberals form the North don't understand the conservatives from the South (though they may think they do) and vice versa. For this reason there will always be some reputations, stereotypes and general animosity towards each region from the other. I think the South gets as bad a rap as the North on this forum, I just think if you're on one side, you automatically "feel" that the other is attacking you.

In terms of cities and urbanity, I'd say that the South's negative reputation today may come as a result of suburban sprawl. From World War II through probably the 90s it was considered the American dream to have your own yard, house and a car to get to and from work. Suburbia was not only acceptable, it was the norm; and aside from a few outliers, many Southern cities boomed and were built in an auto-centric suburban way. While suburbia and sprawl exists in the North, those cities had expanded in a different way prior to the auto-era to the point where auto-centric growth was less pronounced during that car-centric era (1945-1995ish) than it was in the South. The cities up North were historically more dense and less auto-centric and continue to be so.

In these times of being aware of limited fuel resources, pollution and global warming, suburbia has developed a negative perception. Many people are split on it. Some still want that yard, fence and single family home, but many feel that it's a dangerous route to go. The South, having a more suburban, single-family base, is now under scrutiny from those who choose to live a more urban lifestyle in the North. I don't think anyone from the North can deny that this is true. The slight differences in points of view (liberal/ conservative) add fuel to the flame. what made the South so popular during those boom years after WWII has made it a target for scrutiny from those born after the baby-boomers (baby-boomers still flock South even today). Whether that's right or wrong is up for debate. I personally have Southern Family and love them to death. I enjoy the South and enjoy spending time there.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 PM

142 posts, read 314,337 times
Default Blame the Media, Hollywood & Politicians

Many of these perceptions have been highly influenced by the media and Hollywood - as many have noted - the perception of the South that Hollywood portrays in often times unflattering. Why ? Who knows, maybe it all started with the TV show "Green Acres".

The violence that occured during the civil rights movement of the 50' and 60's also has created a negative perception that may still linger into the 21st century when southern politicians such as Trent Lott need to apologize for making offensive racist remarks.

CNN.com - Lott apologizes for Thurmond comment - Dec. 10, 2002 (http://tinyurl.com/37dp7e - broken link)

Old 01-24-2009, 03:32 PM

208 posts, read 540,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
Many of these perceptions have been highly influenced by the media and Hollywood - as many have noted - the perception of the South that Hollywood portrays in often times unflattering. Why ? Who knows, maybe it all started with the TV show "Green Acres".

The violence that occured during the civil rights movement of the 50' and 60's also has created a negative perception that may still linger into the 21st century when southern politicians such as Trent Lott need to apologize for making offensive racist remarks.

CNN.com - Lott apologizes for Thurmond comment - Dec. 10, 2002 (http://tinyurl.com/37dp7e - broken link)
It's too bad the southern cities are recognized more than their northern counterparts in regards to the civil rights movement.

Many northern cities, such as Boston, Detroit, and Chicago, experienced racial tensions too, but usually Birmingham, Memphis, Atlanta automatically comes to mind when referencing racial problems.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:05 PM

142 posts, read 314,337 times
No denying that racial tensions occured in northern cities and yes,there were race riots across many northern cities, however, these events are not the same milestone events that contributed to the civil rights movement.

The milestone events in the civil rights movement occured in the south - Little Rock, Selma, Mississippi, Birmingham among others and this is why the south is associated with the civil rights movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
It's too bad the southern cities are recognized more than their northern counterparts in regards to the civil rights movement.

Many northern cities, such as Boston, Detroit, and Chicago, experienced racial tensions too, but usually Birmingham, Memphis, Atlanta automatically comes to mind when referencing racial problems.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:05 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,591,965 times
I've never known the South to have good stereotypes in my lifetime. Not among people outside the South anyway.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:02 AM

5,420 posts, read 2,745,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
In terms of cities and urbanity, I'd say that the South's negative reputation today may come as a result of suburban sprawl. From World War II through probably the 90s it was considered the American dream to have your own yard, house and a car to get to and from work. Suburbia was not only acceptable, it was the norm; and aside from a few outliers, many Southern cities boomed and were built in an auto-centric suburban way. While suburbia and sprawl exists in the North, those cities had expanded in a different way prior to the auto-era to the point where auto-centric growth was less pronounced during that car-centric era (1945-1995ish) than it was in the South. The cities up North were historically more dense and less auto-centric and continue to be so.
Then why is this negative reputation not also placed on Los Angeles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or