Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 PM

835 posts, read 2,304,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
That made no sense at all.
You don't like people coming to your area and complaining and neither do we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 12:07 AM

668 posts, read 2,357,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
You don't like people coming to your area and complaining and neither do we.
since when do northerners complain about the south? I've never even heard
a northerner bring up anything about the south just to make conversation or complain. I hear southerners do it all the time though, like "yankee this..." or "yankee that..." always b**chin and moanin about something stupid that no northerner would ever care to give a second thought to. We really just don't care, as far as were concerned, it's still all the USA, obviously southerners though have a different perspective. Do you really think people in Chicago or NYC or Detroit care about the southern lifestyle or how u all do things?

Old 11-10-2008, 02:27 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
What a brilliant response! If only more people on this board could be like that.
Now see, I watch TV, read books, magazines and newspapers and I think of the urban North as a filthy crime ridden place full of loudmouth hypocrites, sissy men (and no, I don't mean gay men) and people who generally think their poop doesn't stink so I guess it depends on your perspective as to what you think is normal (meaning everyone who isn't like you is beneath you), what you are spoon fed by your teachers/professors and the national media (observe where they predominantly work and whose perspective you are getting) and what you prefer to pay attention to when you see stereotypes (meaning which ones make you feel better). You may see the Beverly Hillbillies...I see Archie Bunker, Bill Maher and George Costanza.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,651 times
LOL what's wrong with Bill Maher? Is it that he's smart?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
since when do northerners complain about the south? I've never even heard
a northerner bring up anything about the south just to make conversation or complain. I hear southerners do it all the time though, like "yankee this..." or "yankee that..." always b**chin and moanin about something stupid that no northerner would ever care to give a second thought to. We really just don't care, as far as were concerned, it's still all the USA, obviously southerners though have a different perspective. Do you really think people in Chicago or NYC or Detroit care about the southern lifestyle or how u all do things?
Shall I give you some links to posts about that very thing? http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...ml#post6021629

http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...ml#post6017030

louisville Relocation

Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
OK, that was stupid, first off that insult was directed towards Kentuckians only, not the whole south. Just cause someone insults people from Wisconsin (like a Chicagoan such as myself) does not mean they're insulting the whole midwest then does it? And how do you know the person insulting Kentucky was not from Mississippi or Alabama? Also, nowhere in those posts did someone bring up the "north" vs. "south" arguement, the examples you gave were wayyyy off topic from what we were talking about. And on top of all that, I thought most "real southerners" did not consider Kentucky apart of the so-called "south".

So just face it, all you guys do is complain about the north and you know it just as well as I do. Why don't you guys just move on? I don't see any northerners running around yelling "yeah, union pride! woooo!" Last time I checked, it was 2008, not 1864. You all need to just grow a pair already.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,966,872 times
Quote:
They are saying that there are rednecks in every state. Not all Southerners are rednecks. I'm a Southerner but I'm not a redneck. Nothing wrong with being one, IMO. I'm just not
That's true that rednecks are not limited to just the South, they can be found all over the United States. I have met some rednecks in Arizona and Nevada and I don't think anybody would consider Nevada and Arizona to be part of the South.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
OK, that was stupid, first off that insult was directed towards Kentuckians only, not the whole south. Just cause someone insults people from Wisconsin (like a Chicagoan such as myself) does not mean they're insulting the whole midwest then does it? And how do you know the person insulting Kentucky was not from Mississippi or Alabama? Also, nowhere in those posts did someone bring up the "north" vs. "south" arguement, the examples you gave were wayyyy off topic from what we were talking about. And on top of all that, I thought most "real southerners" did not consider Kentucky apart of the so-called "south".

So just face it, all you guys do is complain about the north and you know it just as well as I do. Why don't you guys just move on? I don't see any northerners running around yelling "yeah, union pride! woooo!" Last time I checked, it was 2008, not 1864. You all need to just grow a pair already.
The person writing that was from Chicago first of all. Second of all you asked for examples and I gave you them.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,071,796 times
There are negative stereotypes about every region of the country. That's all they are - stereotypes. Most of the time you can look past them.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 AM

416 posts, read 712,536 times
What about southern hospitality, musical traditions, and cuisine? Plenty of good stereotypes are still out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.