Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:27 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times

Advertisements

I would think Maryland's medium income is so high because of the vicinity of DC for one thing and Baltimore. Along with Jersey and its Vicinities to NYC and Phili. Which are all great for buisiness.

Because both those states are very small and its population is so high almost all the people are close to any of the cities and have no problem commuting for the money.

As for CT, it being so small and having a decent amount of population the state is filled with many industrial parts of the state where many people can find jobs and upgrade there positions. Also its near all the great colleges in the country which causes Families to become rich and flourish there children with the riches and soon to become part of the family business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Upstate NY is a lot cheaper compared to downstate NY. That's what makes NY not as expensive as CT I think. Downstate is just as expensive, if not more expensive than CT. Long Island has the highest property taxes in the country. I'm currently looking for a house in Nassau County (about 10-15 miles outside city limits) and starter ranch capes' taxes are no lower than about $8000.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:38 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateo View Post
People commute into D.C. from as far away as West Virginia and the Shenandoah national park region.

The vast majority of "Southern Maryland" (which I lived in for the first 18 years of my life) commutes out of the county for work. Charles county is absolutely unsustainable without commuters. Last I checked 40% of the county's working population commutes outside of the county for employment purposes.

Furthermore, those that don't commute out of the far flung regions of Maryland into D.C. are dependant upon those that do for survival. Either they are mooching off of their spouse who makes more money in D.C. or they are providing services at a relatively low wage for those that work in D.C. (child care, real estate, retail, etc.).

Prove me wrong.
ok, many southern Marylanders do. Are you telling me 60% is meaningless? please. you can not tell me people of Frostburg and west do. Barly any cumberlanders do either. And not many people of the eastern Shore do. Beleive it or not, there are such things as people who do NOT commute to DC everyday. Me and my spouce do not for example. Sorry, but you are wrong. West Virginia as in Harpers Ferry and a few panhandle counties? Yes. Morgantown, Charleston, etc? uh no. Dependant? please. just becasue your parents commuted and you live in a county that mostly commutes, doesnt mean that all of Maryland does. Very ignorant post actually. You think people in Oakland depend on Washington? you think the majority of somerset county, Worcester, wicomico, garrett etc depend on DC? No they simply don't. you should really get to know Maryland better. Of course i will say, [Mid] Maryland owes its wealth to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.