U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM

338 posts, read 476,788 times

Advertisements

Why need warmer climate?
Summers in Boston are warm enough, but winters are cold.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,726,416 times
Good suggestion with Baltimore, TD. Mattias, if I'm reading the OP's posts correctly, it's the cold winters that they want to avoid.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:47 PM

23,063 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Charleston SC is the closest city to Boston I know of in terms of history and architecture. But obviously it is substantially smaller so there are some big differences as well. But definitely warmer and still on the Atlantic.
My thought as well. Savannah, too...it has been portrayed in movies a few times as Boston, in fact.

Last edited by Iconographer; 09-23-2008 at 11:45 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,726,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My thought as well. Savannah, too...it has been portrayed in movies a few times as Boston, in fact.
Not doubting you, but I find this interesting. Both cities have old architecture, but different classic old architecture. Also, any scene in Savannah that was supposed to look like Boston would have to be carefully shot to avoid any appearance of live oaks and Spanish moss on the screen. Interesting stuff, and Savannah does seem like another possibility. Depends on what specifically the OP is looking for.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Not doubting you, but I find this interesting. Both cities have old architecture, but different classic old architecture. Also, any scene in Savannah that was supposed to look like Boston would have to be carefully shot to avoid any appearance of live oaks and Spanish moss on the screen. Interesting stuff, and Savannah does seem like another possibility. Depends on what specifically the OP is looking for.
They do have to do careful editing...it's mostly due to the similar housing stock. I know that there was a continuity error when they used Savannah's Mercer House as Matthew Broderick's Boston home in the movie Glory...you can see a palm tree in an exterior shot.
Savannah also subbed for Boston in the TV miniseries East of Eden. I know there were others, but they don't come to mind.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:28 AM

6,961 posts, read 14,091,290 times
Charleston, SC; Baltimore, MD; and Savannah, GA were the first that came to my mind.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 AM

I would add Annapolis, MD to the list as well.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 AM

4,908 posts, read 12,523,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusmom View Post
We currently live in Harrisonburg, VA. We have made some wonderful friends but it's so conservative and religious. It has been a bit much for us and very little to do. We are used to a much denser city. We do not want a HUGE city, but a lot more going on.

What are we looking for? We loved the layout of Boston. It's bustling but not overly crowded. As far as climate, we cannot tolerate the temperatures that Boston reaches. We've been in Boston many times to experience it. I'm not looking for a place that has no winters, but must be a lot less crippling cold weather. I feel that looking west is our option, as I am not happy with cities I have been to in the south, being that an undertone of sexism and racism still exists. (This may be different in parts of the south I have not been to.)

I hope you are able to help. I'm afraid San Fran is much too expensive for us. Should Denver be a consideration? What about somewhere in Pennsylvania?

Center City Philadlephia has everything downtown Boston does and arguably more. Its one of thee best livable urban neighborhoods in the country, it might be the best 100,000 person urban neighborhood in the usa.However given Philadlephias heavy industrial past and seeing how Philadlephia is 3x the size of Boston the problem is that a lot of surrounding hesitating grit comes with the Philly package which isnt such an issue in Boston.

The suburban areas of Philaldephia are pretty flawless. Chestnut Hill,The Main Line towns,West Chester,Doylestown,Media,Yardley,Newtown,Princeton NJ, Moorestown NJ and Haddonfield NJ are upscale planned small urban towns in the mode of downtown Philly/Boston but on a much much smaller scale. Very livable communities.Philly suburban counties- Montgomery County Pa was ranked as the 9th most livable county in the usa, its neighbor Chester County was ranked #10.

Va. isolation wont be a problem as Phila/NYC megalopolis is the second biggest on the planet at 29 M people.

I'd give the suburban Philly towns a look if you are serious about moving. Philly itself might be a bit overwhelming in many aspects but I keep trying to tell people that Center City is an absolute gem.

Good luck.

The southeast portion of Center City Philly

typical neatly kept rowhome in center city

stroll along Braod Street

Looking east from Univ Penn

West Chester- 25 miles west of Center City.45 minute commute

http://www.thcphotography.com/photos/gay_street_west_chester_pa_FULL.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-27-2008, 07:11 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,208,147 times
^^^ rainrock pleas don't compare Philly to Boston....

growing up in New England/NY, Philly is way cooler to me!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 PM

38 posts, read 141,980 times
Richmond is quiet but it has the history and architecture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or