Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:11 PM

78 posts, read 437,112 times

Advertisements

We absolutely adore everything about Boston--the architecture, the people, activities, the downtown area, etc. Is there a warmer city, anywhere in the US, that can compare to it and not be as expensive? If we could afford it, we'd be living there now. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help us out.

We are a young family of four. Our children are both under four, and we are bored in Virginia. We've been here for 3 years and just can't take it anymore. We've looked into Denver and Albuquerque, but just know very little about them. Are these places that may suit what we are looking for?

PLEASE HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM

395 posts, read 523,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusmom View Post
We absolutely adore everything about Boston--the architecture, the people, activities, the downtown area, etc. Is there a warmer city, anywhere in the US, that can compare to it and not be as expensive? If we could afford it, we'd be living there now. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help us out.

We are a young family of four. Our children are both under four, and we are bored in Virginia. We've been here for 3 years and just can't take it anymore. We've looked into Denver and Albuquerque, but just know very little about them. Are these places that may suit what we are looking for?

PLEASE HELP!
Richmond, Virginia is right nice.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Well, UKUSMom says they live in Virginia now, but one question is, what part of VA? Until I read that you lived in VA now, I too was thinking of Richmond? Not exactly the same as Boston, being smaller, with a Southern flare rather than New England reservedness, and not right on the coast, but similar in having history, classic architecture, museums, etc., and being located on a river.

Other possibilities, depending on what features of Boston you want: 1) Philadelphia: similar metro populations; history; old architecture; old-city feel; Northeastern; on a river; winter temperatures only a bit milder than Boston's, but shorter winters and not quite as snowy. 2) Charleston and Savannah: coastal setting (general coastal region in Savannah's case); classic architecture.

This one is tough. The cities that seem to me most like Boston, except with milder winters, are Seattle and San Francisco, but they don't fit the "less expensive" criterion so well. What features of Boston are you looking for, and how mild a climate are you seeking? The aswers to these questions may help people focus on the best possibilities.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,433 times
San Francisco

its more dense,more diverse,bigger(metro area as well),more beautiful scenery,better climate,better economy.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:46 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
San Francisco would be a good option.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:12 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Denver. It is stereotypically Western where Boston is Eastern, but both are good cities. Check out Portland. Progressive, vibrant city. Warmer, more grey. Cheaper than San Francisco or Seattle, but with most of the amenities of the two. Why Albuquerque, though?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Until I read that you lived in VA now, I too was thinking of Richmond?
Funny - I thought the same thing.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:44 AM

Default Thanks.

A friend told us that we should consider Albuquerque because it is "unique." Can someone tell me a bit more about Denver? I know very little about it so any news would be new news. I really appreciate all your help. How is Denver's setup? Transportation? Social climate? Much to do?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 AM

We currently live in Harrisonburg, VA. We have made some wonderful friends but it's so conservative and religious. It has been a bit much for us and very little to do. We are used to a much denser city. We do not want a HUGE city, but a lot more going on.

What are we looking for? We loved the layout of Boston. It's bustling but not overly crowded. As far as climate, we cannot tolerate the temperatures that Boston reaches. We've been in Boston many times to experience it. I'm not looking for a place that has no winters, but must be a lot less crippling cold weather. I feel that looking west is our option, as I am not happy with cities I have been to in the south, being that an undertone of sexism and racism still exists. (This may be different in parts of the south I have not been to.)

I hope you are able to help. I'm afraid San Fran is much too expensive for us. Should Denver be a consideration? What about somewhere in Pennsylvania?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
I think the Philly area would be a good choice. Its stil cold in the winter though, but not as cold as Boston. Richmond or Charlotte are also good choices, but not really like Boston.

I love Denver, but its nothing like Boston or the east coast, and that's why I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.