U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:42 PM

643 posts, read 1,228,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
One of my favorite mags. to read is Coastal Living. It looks absolutely beautiful. I am sure it does coast a pretty penny but you only live once.

Does anyone on CD live on a coast (Eastern,southern).

Where and is it expensive?
I live on the mississippi coast in a city called biloxi. very cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,726,806 times
I live about 15 miles inland of the coast, which includes Avila, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay etc etc and I absolutely LOVE it. Me and the hubby have thrown around moving inland but we go to the beach a couple of times a week and it definitely wouldn't work for us. Sure, it's more expensive but it's definitely worth it.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:04 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,466,902 times
I'm 8 blocks from the sand and can see the ocean down my street and I LOVE IT! I dunno maybe its b/c I'm an Aquarius or something but I am just drawn to the ocean and water. It's pricey but not that unreasonable, 2 bedroom apartments go for around $1250-1800, I pay $1400 for a 2/1. It's high but cheaper than some urban cities. I even saw an 1 br oceanfront condo listed for $350K recently, which ain't that bad for being right on the beach.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,082,173 times
Ive spent time living on both the Northern/Southern california coast..nothing compares I love it more than anything..now I live downtown in a city with only a a short 7 minute walk to the beach and its still incredible.
I also have family who lives on the coast in the north east and its very nice there aswell.
Very expensive,very worth it.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,266,294 times
Grew up on an island...didn't go to the beach a whole lot, but I loved how I had my choices about where to go fishing. I also lived a 5 minute drive from a private beach, so it was always nice standing on the hills overlooking the Long Island sound. I also used to take my telescope there with my dad since it was the only place we could get away from the street lights that were everywhere.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:08 PM

8,061 posts, read 16,104,972 times
I've grown up on the coast. Right now I'm splitting time between Southeastern MA (New Bedford area) and Portland, ME. Portland (and Maine in general) is VERY affordable when it comes to coastal living. Our apartment in Portland has ocean views and is in a nice area and runs us $795/mo (includes heat, hot water and electric). We had an ocean front apartment just outside of town last year for $700/mo w/ all utilities included... 2 bedroom. The people here complain about the prices, but it feels cheap to me... I don't know of too many coastal communities (with this type of scenery) that are that cheap.

MA is a different story. It's no Metro NYC or Bay Area, but it's very pricey along the coast. My parents bought their house on the bay in Southeastern Mass. in the late '80s before the boom for about $250,000... it's risen in value significantly since then. There are still some hidden sweet spots in Mass, but nothing as cheap as Maine.

For what it's worth, I won't trade living on the coast for anything. I'll always make sure I'm near the ocean.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,539,390 times
Tande and others I think the OP means right on the coast-meaning water next to you. Coastal Living is about waterfront living on the Coast.

Anyway yes I live 55 ft from water on the Gulf Coast near Rockport Tex. The negatives are everything rusts in the salty air. Also more expensive.

The positives are huge- the view - the sound - the air quality from ocean breezes- the cooling effect of the ocean in summer and warming effect in winter. Being on the water attracts some interesting people to a town so its not so incestuous as many little towns are. Sea Birds and Dolphins are also a plus as is boating ( I don't fish so no to that -but I eat em).

Old 02-07-2009, 09:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,370,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Thanks for the 2cents.......

To answer your question, it's a personal choice, that's all. No harm in that is it?
Sure, you can live anywhere you want to; that's your choice. I'm just saying that the rest of us should not have to bail you out when you do not buy housing that will withstand local weather conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.