Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:30 PM

395 posts, read 519,372 times

Advertisements

Do you think Northern and Southern churches are different? I realize there are different denominations of course and each has their own style.

But for me, I have been to church up North and where I live in Richmond, and I notice differences regardless of denomination ( I am Southern Baptist, BTW)

In the North- they have coffee and donuts (BEFORE) service. In the South after (usually)- and usually its cookies here or Krispy Kreme. Up North its Dunkin' Donuts.

In the North- after church, everyone just leaves and goes home. In the South, people linger, linger, linger! They can really talk the Pastors ear off about something.

Then we love to have church dinners after service- with lots of stuff like fried chicken, collard greens, mashed potatos, sweet tea, spoonbread, etc.

Also, more fervor with the prayers in the churches in my neck of the woods- be it Epsicopal, Baptist, or whatever. Just more talkin' to the Lord.

In Virginia, we dont have "high church" for the Anglicans or Episcopalians. Up North they do- and its really quite something. Almost like Mass at the Vatican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:36 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
My friend is from Michigan and moved to rural Arkansas for 9 months for a rotation at work. She found a church and on her first visit she was told to stand up in front of the congregation of hundreds and introduce herself and talk about her devotion and what religion means in her life.

She said she basically s*** her pants.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,790,985 times
Years and years ago when I was forced to attend church here out west, we'd have coffee and local donuts after mass at the Catholic church or have sort of a little potluck lunch at the Adventist church. Don't remember what we did at the Pentecostal church.

Of course most people here are non-church going, thank...goodness. And a good chunk of those non-church goers are atheist or agnostic.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:19 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,982,964 times
I go to a 3000+member United Methodist church. We don't have a "fellowship" after church and really not before. Most of the sunday schools have their own eats and there is coffee and water and pastries in the church parlor below the santuary. Most people do before the service but usually sunday school runs so late that members have just enough time to get to the service. Actually we have 2 traditional services and 1 contemporary.

I wish we had those old fashioned potluck suppers more often than we do, but it's hard to get 3000 members on the same page for those. Sometimes the attendence is rather pathetic.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:01 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,341,309 times
The architecture certainly is different, that's for sure. The Midwest and Northeast have large, towering, Gothic style churches that appear castle-like, MUCH bigger than Southern churches.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM

395 posts, read 519,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The architecture certainly is different, that's for sure. The Midwest and Northeast have large, towering, Gothic style churches that appear castle-like, MUCH bigger than Southern churches.
This is what many churches look like in Richmond:

Old 09-22-2008, 12:43 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,230,735 times
As a child in the 50's/60's I remember white wooden churches, no air conditioning, lots of ladies holding church fans (pictures of Jesus on cardboard attached to sticks) flapping furiously while muttering "Sweet baby Jesus". I was talking to some friends at work and they didn't know what church fans were. I recently went through my grandmother's photos and found a very fancy church fan that opens out. On the front it has a picture of Jesus with children and the quote from Mark "Suffer the little children to come unto me", and on the back it has "A & L Upholstering Company, Huntington, W.Va."

Old 09-22-2008, 12:46 AM

261 posts, read 620,088 times
My friend is from Michigan and moved to rural Arkansas for 9 months for a rotation at work. She found a church and on her first visit she was told to stand up in front of the congregation of hundreds and introduce herself and talk about her devotion and what religion means in her life.

She said she basically s*** her pants.
================================================== ===========

That was soooooooooooooo funny!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,787,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
That's probably because there's a stronger Catholic and Episcopalian influence in those regions of the country, which place more emphasis on architecture than most Protestant churches.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,113,469 times
As a Catholic from Minnesota, I have attended mass ( while visiting ) in Crossville TN, Talladega AL and Fort Payne Al.

I found it the same as back home .

The southerners were more friendly but I attributed that to the fact Catholicism is NOT the main religion in those southern places I visited and thus there is more of a "commraderie" of Catholics in the south compared to central MN where there is a Catholic Church in every tiny town every 5 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.