U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:34 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,466,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
If you can rename some cities in the U.S., what would you name them? I'll start it off with these:

New York City = New London
Los Angeles = New New York or New York West, or New Mexico City
Atlanta = Nanpoukyo (Japanese for "Southern Capital")
Detroit = Bidonville (French for "shanty town")
San Diego = Los Angelesito (Little Los Angeles), Tijuana North, or Ciudad Caro (Expensive City)
Chicago = Nouveau Paris (New Paris)
Miami = New Havana
Seattle = Shin Tokyo (New Tokyo)
San Francisco = New Shanghai

so you would rename them all after other cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 11:44 PM

6,867 posts, read 12,823,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
so you would rename them all after other cities?
i'm still trying to figure out how Chicago is the new Paris lol

Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 AM

3,683 posts, read 8,853,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
can you explain the Chicago and Paris comparison?

Atlanta is certainly not the Capital of the South. no one outside of Georgia cares about what's going on in Atlanta. the same way no one in any other part of the south cares about Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, or Miami. That would all be different if Atlanta was the size of New York City or Los Angeles.
Chicago and Paris are sister cities for one thing. They also have a few similarities with the infrastructure of elevated trains and some of the architecture (not talking about skyscrapers of course), and they both have a river in the middle of the city. Besides, they don't have to be exactly alike, I mean does New York really look like the old York, or New Orleans like Orleans (besides being French)?

For Atlanta, the name I should have given it is Turnerville. I just didn't think of it until later. Another name could be Nuevo Los Angeles. I would also call it Femme Belles or Chicas Bonitas. The reason why I give cities foreign names is so their meanings won't be as obvious and generic sounding.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,399,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
I see you're a GTA fan......awesome game.
Agreed.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,051,441 times
Souix Falls, IA

renamed to:

Sioux Regainsfootingandraisesbackupalittlebitbutthensome bodypushesthembackdownagain.itwasprobablysiouxcity yeahihatethem, IA

lol

Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 AM

304 posts, read 829,428 times
L.A = Greatest Place On earth

Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 AM

2,156 posts, read 2,668,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Chicago and Paris are sister cities for one thing. They also have a few similarities with the infrastructure of elevated trains and some of the architecture (not talking about skyscrapers of course), and they both have a river in the middle of the city. Besides, they don't have to be exactly alike, I mean does New York really look like the old York, or New Orleans like Orleans (besides being French)?

For Atlanta, the name I should have given it is Turnerville. I just didn't think of it until later. Another name could be Nuevo Los Angeles. I would also call it Femme Belles or Chicas Bonitas. The reason why I give cities foreign names is so their meanings won't be as obvious and generic sounding.
I think the Chicago - Paris comparison is apt. Chicago is also called Paris of the Prairie.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,063,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
Souix Falls, IA

renamed to:

Sioux Regainsfootingandraisesbackupalittlebitbutthensome bodypushesthembackdownagain.itwasprobablysiouxcity yeahihatethem, IA

lol
"Souix Falls, IA" - Don't-know-how-to-spell-don't-know-what-state-it's-in City.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,063,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
L.A = Greatest Place On earth
L.A. = Sprawliest Place On earth

Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
^ but you have to write it in Spanish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or