U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:49 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,622,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
can you explain the Chicago and Paris comparison?

Atlanta is certainly not the Capital of the South. no one outside of Georgia cares about what's going on in Atlanta. the same way no one in any other part of the south cares about Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, or Miami. That would all be different if Atlanta was the size of New York City or Los Angeles.
Again, more hate of Atlanta coming from a Houstonian. Seriously, what's up with the need to put down Atlanta. It is the transportation and commerce hub of the Southeast whether you like it or not. Just like Houston is the main port on the Gulf Coast.

BTW, I would rename Albuquerque to Wheel of Fortune--just to give Truth or Consequences, NM a little company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:30 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
....no its not. Ive never heard that before.
So many cities out there that compare themselves to Paris. Chicago is just one of those dreamers.
time to wake up.

It's not a dreamer thing they just came up with 10 years ago to look cool though.

It dates back from after the fire that burnt down Chicago. The architect in charge of rebuilding Chicago drew up this huge master plan for the city. He wanted to build "Paris On The Prairie". This was mostly in the form of a "necklace" of large tree lined, extremely wide boulevards that extended out in a semi-circle around the heart of the city. There were dozens of parks and squares around the boulevards that were suppose to replecate the huge boulevards that had been built in Paris around that time - and were hugely popular the world over.

They did build the boulevards and parks, but unfortunately today many of them go through rather rough areas, and people outside Chicago don't seem to know they exist.

boulevardhist

This is a bad picture cause it's winter and you can't spot the trees as quickly. If you look towards the bottom though you can see the block-wide tree lined blvd coming through into the lower park. The blvd then comes out the top of that park, turnes right and goes over until it turns at a right angle and comes up right through the center of the upper park. From there it's easier to spot how it snakes it's way north of that park and up and then finally over to the right towards Lake Michigan.

That's where the Paris thing came from. I doubt hardly anyone in Chicago today knows that nickname, it was mostly from this time period with all this massive construction.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 AM

304 posts, read 829,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ but you have to write it in Spanish
ehh..just another midwestern racist showing his true colors...

is Spanish some sort of forbidden language? Anyone that speaks Spanish is evil? You are very strange....

I find this alot with chicago people on here...they have a weird infatuation with hating hispanics or anyone else that speaks Spanish

Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,925,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
New York City = Grande Ville (Big City)
Atlanta = HotnSticky
Chicago = Ventosotown (Windy City)
Miami = Palmera/Palma/Palmier (Palm Tree)
San Francisco = Carretilla (Trolley) or Colina (Hill)
New Oreans = Paroisse (Parish)
Boston = Nordostakzent (Northeast Accent)
Denver = Schneeberg (Snow Mountain)
Phoenix = Aireseco (Dry Air)
Tampa Bay = Bahia Paraiso (Paradise Bay)
Las Vegas = Pecadostad (Sin City)
Houston = Raumcitta (Space City)
I know they're lame.
They were good actually. You had New York's other name backwards (noun 1st then adj for Romance languages).
Some for Atlanta: Sud Capitale (the truth) or Citta Periferico Suburban City (for all you ATL haters).
Phoenix is Deserto Caldo Hot Desert
From an Atl point of view Houston would be Il Antagonista The Opponent.
Anchorage would be Fa Freddo It's Cold.

Last edited by David Alleyne; 09-24-2008 at 11:12 AM..

Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,444,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post

is Spanish some sort of forbidden language? Anyone that speaks Spanish is evil? You are very strange....

I find this alot with chicago people on here...they have a weird infatuation with hating hispanics or anyone else that speaks Spanish
And youre also a generalizing, stereotyping, rude, obnoxious individual who is quick to point out others' faults, while strangely ignoring your own. The day they ban you cant come fast enough.

Mods? Hello?!?!?!

Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Quote:

Jeez...are you kidding? Have you ever read a single one of your posts about anything on earth that doesn't have to do with LA, San Fran or California at large????

I made an off the cuff generalization about southern California specifically because everything you say about anywhere non-California or West Coast is a tired and old stereotype. No meat or bones, just random stereotypes as to why they're "lesser places" or "lesser people" than the true champions of the world living in SC.

So now I'm suddenly a racist monster, along of course with all the other racist monsters here in Chicago? Cause, you know, we all just hate hispanics. I guess I'll have to tell my boyfriend he's out of the picture now - oops!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,709,718 times
Quote:

Nosotros detestamos Los Hispanos? No, tu detestas nosotros, si?

Yo hablo Espanol. Y Tu?

(Translation)
We hate the Hispanics? No, you hate us, yes?

I speak Spanish. And You?

Last edited by Raphael07; 09-26-2008 at 08:45 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,881,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Nosotros detestamos el Hispanos? No, tu detestas nosotros, si?

Yo hablo Espanol. Y Tu?

(Translation)

It may take awhile for the Broken down buggy known as los angeles to respond here. He needs to consult with a spanish dictionary first!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:17 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,709,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
It may take awhile for the Broken down buggy known as los angeles to respond here. He needs to consult with a spanish dictionary first!
True.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,716,813 times
I think we should Numerically number our cities.
New York City = City # 1
Los Angeles = City # 2
Atlanta = City # 3
Detroit = City # 4
San Diego = City # 5
Chicago = City # 6
Miami = City # 7
Seattle = City # 8
San Francisco = City # 9
St. Louis = City # 10
Milwaukee = City # 11
Cleveland = City # 12
New Orleans = City # 13
Boston = City # 14
Denver = City # 15
Phoenix = City # 16
Salt Lake City = City # 17
St. Paul = City # 18
Minneapolis = City # 19
San Antonio = City # 20
Tampa Bay = City # 21
Portland = City # 22
Las Vegas = City # 23
Houston = City # 24
Dallas = City # 25
Pittsburgh = City # 26
Philadelphia = City # 27
Washington D.C. = City # 28
Charlotte = City # 29
Orlando = City # 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Nosotros detestamos el Hispanos? No, tu detestas nosotros, si?

Yo hablo Espanol. Y Tu?

(Translation)

ya conosco que no odias los hispanos...LOS HISPANOS...el Hispanos es incorrecto. Con todo respecto.
Pero si hay mucho sangre perdido por la gente que no saben nada de lo que pasa en mexico, aunque sea que creen que si.
Un pais sin error es un pais que no existe, y por lo de mas este pais si habla ingles... y yo tambien cero que se debe de notar que muchos de los hispanos no quieren apprender ingles.
Pero este pais se formo en el piensamiento en que todos son iguales y se tiene que notar tambien que ingles no fue el idioma indigena aqui, ni espanol.

Last edited by CMDallas; 09-26-2008 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or