U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 PM

948 posts, read 3,414,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
THANK YOU!!!
Since when is wearing a Hollister shirts high fashion? And since when does the cast of "The Hills" wear Hollister shirts? They live in West Hollywood, they can do a little better than that. My prepubescent neighbor wears Hollister shirts and too much cologne...

Especially sense the cast of the Hills, at least some of them working in the fashion industry. They might use Hollister Shirt at at BBQ party or while doing laundry, not to promote the latest fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 PM
S65

92 posts, read 68,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
NY has a lot more than Sean John and DKNY..
Ralph, Tommy, Vera Wang, etc.
Yes; New York City has Marc Jacobs, Vera Wang, Ralph Lauren, Zac Posen, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Carolina Herrera, Dianne Von Furstenberg (considered New York), Badgley Mischka, Max Azira and Hervé Léger (which is now an American label) so to say New York only has Sean John and DKNY is a very moronic and uneducated statement.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,201,666 times
nobody in the northeast wears abercrombie or hollister except guidos

Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,138,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Oh come on. NY is fashion Capital of the USA. Not LA. Ask anybody in the fashion industry. And wearing California T shirts is hardly fashion.
well, the fashion industry isn't exactly pounded through the average american's skull every day. although, one can make the argument that it is but that is on a level not realized by many which would be the fact that nearly everyone in the media (what counts in the USA) is wearing some form of NYC fashion. however, the bottomline is all of the so-called fashion statements are broadcasted through L.A. which means nearly everything you see on t.v. or hear on the radio has a Los Angeles filter attached to it.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,138,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
so teenagers are who determine what the average american should wear?

it's sad if "the hills" is the #1 indicator of american style
bottomline is the youth rocks the nation. they are the glimpse of what tomorrow will be like.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,155,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
bottomline is the youth rocks the nation. they are the glimpse of what tomorrow will be like.
Not really. The youth would like to think that, but it isn't true; never has been, never will be. Thank God for that. If it were true, the hideous fashions that everybody would be wearing right now based on what we wore when I was in High School or College. Thank goodness today isn't what we as the youth of American envisioned back in the 70's and 80's. And I seriously doubt in 30 years you will be able to see a butt crack or boxers showing out of everybodies pants (unless you are a Plumber, then it is a job requirement to have a crack-back .)

Old 09-23-2008, 04:26 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,807,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
hopefully those youths will not be wearing hollister and abercrombie when they get into their 20s

Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 PM

812 posts, read 3,583,213 times
Abercrombie/Hollister makes clothing for youths of the middle class that shop at megamalls and want something a little pricey and aspirational, but can't go to the designers, and even Abercrombie identifies this in their marketing targets, but we're talking about average folks here in this discussion, and average people aren't going to pay top dollar for clothes, especially on their high school aged kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
hopefully those youths will not be wearing hollister and abercrombie when they get into their 20s
You must mean later 20s, because the desired target demographic for Abercrombie is actually college-aged kids, so we're talking early 20s right there. The phenomenon of it being worn by high schoolers is largely due to aspiration from a marketing standpoint.

By the time one graduates, I think that Abercrombie wants you to stop wearing that too, because they have actually created a new brand, Ruehl No. 925, for the "graduate" look (the same stuff with a dog instead of a moose on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Oh come on. NY is fashion Capital of the USA. Not LA. Ask anybody in the fashion industry. And wearing California T shirts is hardly fashion.
This topic isn't really about fashion, nor do I think that this topic is contending that CA t-shirts are fashion, either. The title says "dominate American Clothing" not "dominate American fashion," therefore this is coming from more of a populist standpoint of what you see in the streets day in and day out. I don't see Vera Wang on the average woman, but I see lots of slogan T-shirts, many with some saying about California and this is what is being discussed here, not true haute couture. "Fashion" is quite irrelevant to this question, really.

Last edited by tande1n5; 09-23-2008 at 06:13 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,243,311 times
I don't know exactly these posters are seeing these shirts, but the only time I ever saw girls and guys wearing Abercrombie and Hollister was when I was in 8th grade. Nowadays in my senior year I see girls wear such brands as Guess, 7 for all Mankind, Diesel, American Apparel, Urban Outfitters, etc.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:41 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,807,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
I don't know exactly these posters are seeing these shirts, but the only time I ever saw girls and guys wearing Abercrombie and Hollister was when I was in 8th grade. Nowadays in my senior year I see girls wear such brands as Guess, 7 for all Mankind, Diesel, American Apparel, Urban Outfitters, etc.
the only people in their 20s that wear abercrombie are frat boys. the rest are in high school. wearing abercrombie and hollister when your not in your teens makes you look very immature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or