U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,747,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Im really tired of this "redneck" stuff. Why do people care? IMO, the word is highly offensive. The same as the "n" word for blacks.
uhhhh.. most... no wait... ALL..... "rednecks" I know, and there's a lot of them, don't mind at all being called that. In fact, they welcome it, and seem to be quite proud of being called that.

As for which state has the fewest in rural areas.. like someone else said, if it really matters to you that much, find a tourist town (every state has at least one), or a college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,747,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
You are why I HATE the northeastern states. I'm raised in Kentucky but have spent most my life in the caribbean, west coast and now alaska.

I will never set foot up there.
Be careful not to stereotype... I've seen some very friendly, unpretentious, yes, even redneck-type of people in northern New England.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 PM

10,893 posts, read 9,883,571 times
Hmm, maybe, BUT....... a country boy will survive!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,349,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
College towns. Resort towns. And other towns, but predominately the first two.
I live in a rural "resort town" and I can tell you that the only people that aren't rednecks are the ones that aren't from here. But, not everyone considers being a redneck a bad thing. y'know

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,937,480 times
Quote:
Charlottesville, VA
Ashland, VA
Athens, GA
Asheville, NC
Oxford,Miss
Natchez, Miss
Lexington, VA
Johnson City, TN
Stone Mountain, GA
Decatur, AL
DECATUR ALABAMA?
You're kidding, right?
Only because our Latinos are beginning to outnumber our rednecks.

Then again, "redneck" is being used like it's a BAD thing...

Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 PM

10,893 posts, read 9,883,571 times
Perhaps they meant Huntsville, AL?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM

32,342 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Actually, Utah.

Well, not the small towns where theres a million children and 1 man, but normal towns. Utahns arent redneck because the LDS Church has a very high percentage of metrosexuals-men are usually very clean cut and very clean cut.

Also,
I dont think any state has as many white men that are US Born but have lived abroad all over the world such as the ex-missionairies. For this reason its easy to find white people in small towns all over Utah that speak Portuguese, Tagalog, Finnish etc.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 PM

835 posts, read 2,083,723 times
Quote:
Im really tired of this "redneck" stuff. Why do people care? IMO, the word is highly offensive. The same as the "n" word for blacks.
Eh...I wouldn't go that far. I doubt Jeff Foxworthy would be able to make as much money as he does if it was an N-word equivalent or meant you are racist(which a few but not most think that in my part of the state because of a KKK store that has "redneck" in the name).

What I don't like is being called a redneck when you aren't one. If you wanna wear the term redneck as a badge of honor then more power to you. But people are quick to label all Southerners as rednecks which just isn't true.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,668,795 times
Rural folks here in the Midwest (Nebraska) are not really the hick/redneck type- farmers around here, for example, are for the most part clean cut folks who seem very down to earth and educated- and live in homes that are the same as everyone else's suburban homes- none of the "shacks" you hear about in the redneck southern rural areas.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,684,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Rural folks here in the Midwest (Nebraska) are not really the hick/redneck type- farmers around here, for example, are for the most part clean cut folks who seem very down to earth and educated- and live in homes that are the same as everyone else's suburban homes- none of the "shacks" you hear about in the redneck southern rural areas.
Shacks you "hear" about. Yes, there are scuzzy looking houses and trailers-everywhere. But shacks are few in number compared to in the past. Most farmers I know are educated with agriculture degrees; live in nice modern homes and use modern farming methods and equipment. However most rural people don't have a spread, just a small home and sometimes no more than an acre. They don't generally farm either, most work at other jobs in "town" or a larger city. Some people I know have a cattle ranch with 300 head of cattle (hes there every weekend working; brother lives on it and takes care during the week); my friend is an estimator at a body shop during the week. So farming is a part time avocation for many.

The image of someone chopping cotton with a tote sack in their hand is a thing of the past. Cotton has been machine picked for years and corn and soybeans as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or