U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM

485 posts, read 1,660,340 times

Advertisements

When I travel cross country I get a kick out of how redneck and hick looking most people are in about every small town in America. I see alot of tattoos, beer bellies, bad skin, red neck hats and people that look like Larry the Cable Guy.

Maybe I missed the place or state where small town and rural people are a bit more sophisticated and look more like folks from a middle class suburban area. Where is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,145,269 times
I think you missed a lot of places. Although you will see what you expect to see anyplace, so I suspect that you personally will find nothing but hicks and rednecks anyplace that isn't "home."

Old 09-22-2008, 01:41 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,542,413 times
I think this is just another thread created in insult those who live in rural areas.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,725,649 times
Didn't you guys know that anyone who doesn't live in a hyper-urban area is a buck-toothed, tabaccy-spittin, in-bred hillbilly who cain't figger out how to speak and dress right?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 PM

17,605 posts, read 8,827,681 times
Guess we all just live in "flyover" country.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,785,882 times
College towns. Resort towns. And other towns, but predominately the first two.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,778,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
When I travel cross country I get a kick out of how redneck and hick looking most people are in about every small town in America. I see alot of tattoos, beer bellies, bad skin, red neck hats and people that look like Larry the Cable Guy.

Maybe I missed the place or state where small town and rural people are a bit more sophisticated and look more like folks from a middle class suburban area. Where is it?
There are many places like this ALL over the country. I would say its more of a town by town thing. But MANY small country towns have a "sophisticated" feel. Any place that has a college or a tourist draw, art colony, etc. is certainly going to have this. Often these places may have a certain natural feature draw to it to. In the midwest many places like Door County, WI, many other Wisconsin tourist towns, West Michigan beach towns, Galena, IL, Brown County, IN. These are a handful places.

There are lots of places like this in the south I'm sure but less familiar with them.

Also New England and California have a lot of "sophistication" in the rural areas too.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:56 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,361,018 times
New Hampshire and Vermont come to mind.

Even where I'm from in Iowa the rural factor is a far cry from making everyone redneck or hillbilly. I think Iowa actually has a very educated and "aware" rural population compared to how its sterotype makes the state out to be...

It's towards the top of the list of Americas most educated states, has fairly low levels of crime and outward poverty, and the first in the nation Primary is something that throws Iowans into politics and prompts them to keep up to date on current events, politicians and issues affecting the country at large.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:55 PM

395 posts, read 399,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post

Im really tired of this "redneck" stuff. Why do people care? IMO, the word is highly offensive. The same as the "n" word for blacks.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:57 PM

623 posts, read 1,023,296 times
i agree, this thread is just about as redneck as the people the poster describes in the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or