U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 06:39 PM

669 posts, read 2,946,930 times

Advertisements

With all respect HBJohn, I don't think most people move because of lack of housing (assuming they have a home/are renting already). If they do, it's definetly not the majority. Again, I hear more about weather, cost of living (not ALL housing), etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 11:59 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,728,287 times
Default Yes and no...

I would probably stay on Long Island for a little while if I could find affordable housing, but unfortunately it is very hard for a first-time buyer to find it.

I like the proximity to New York City and the views of the ocean are quite nice, but there is less and less of a sense of community and people can be rude. And everything else is pricey (property taxes, gas, groceries, etc.).

NYSinger

Old 02-10-2007, 01:38 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,126,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
I would probably stay on Long Island for a little while if I could find affordable housing, but unfortunately it is very hard for a first-time buyer to find it.

I like the proximity to New York City and the views of the ocean are quite nice, but there is less and less of a sense of community and people can be rude. And everything else is pricey (property taxes, gas, groceries, etc.).

NYSinger
I feel the same about New Jersey. To me, the lack of affordable housing is more the last straw than anything else. In my opinion, there is lots else for me to be tired of, too. Maybe some time away will make me feel different.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I feel the same about New Jersey. To me, the lack of affordable housing is more the last straw than anything else. In my opinion, there is lots else for me to be tired of, too. Maybe some time away will make me feel different.
mb919, if you don't mind me asking, where would you want to move?

NYSinger

Old 02-11-2007, 11:38 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,126,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
mb919, if you don't mind me asking, where would you want to move?

NYSinger
I'm going to Tucson, Arizona. The University of Arizona has the program that I want to take, plus aside from 3 broiling hot months, the rest of the year is perfect weather-wise as far as I'm concerned. I hate humidity and cold. I can also rent something out there for much cheaper than I can here while I am in school deciding where to go next.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 AM

That's nice! Good luck on everything!

Old 02-12-2007, 04:01 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,776,556 times
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's afforable where I am, for me at least.... but, I'm getting out of here. I'm trying to go somewhere with more opportunity. There just isn't any where I am.
Same here,south carolina just is not for me.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:35 PM

489 posts, read 1,860,667 times
Wish we had been "priced out". I guess in some ways, we were, on some level, in that we had to purchase a condo (because it was cheaper) rather than a home. AND it was still more than we ever thought we'd pay but still less expensive than a lot of other properties at the time and even now. No, I definitely will not be staying in Ft. Misery. Hopefully, some snowbird or retiree will want our place; otherwise, no idea how we will afford this place and another one elsewhere.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,997,994 times
If you price it right, it will sell. The market hasnt bottomed out yet so you can still get something for it with a realistic price. If you can rent it out for at least break even, thats another option. I also am unhappy in south FL and wont be staying unless house prices drop to $50k which wont happen unless a bad hurricane hits. For $50k, Florida will be worth it, even those that hate FL will agree.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:35 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,500,877 times
I am in So Cali, and I would not stay where I am currently living, no matter what the cost of housing. Right now the 2+ hour to commute into LA is just stupid and not worth it.
I think an inexpensive house BTW would be anything under $350,000... man, I cannot even imagine a $75,000 home!! Lack of housing BTW is one reason we do not live closer to Los Angeles, but no matter where in LA you are the traffic is a NIGHTMARE!
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or