U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 03:35 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,998,894 times

Advertisements

Would you stay in your location if you found affordable housing?

Its a sad, but true fact due to the house bubble, most people are priced out in states like FL, CA, NJ, HI, WA, OR and several other states. I would stay in FL if I found affordable housing for around $50k, possibly even $75k. I have not seen affordable housing in south FL but in central and north FL there are "handyman" specials for under $99k and occasionally under $50k. Not mobile homes but real CBS houses. Of course they will be small, like 2/1 and 800-1200 square feet without a car garage. Big enough for one person. Share your story.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 04:40 AM

669 posts, read 2,947,142 times
I seem to rememeber a thread by this very title one time...somebody made it...i don't think it was you, I'm just saying someone made a thread with this title.

I thought you hated Florida's heat regardless of home prices? I wouldn't stay here even if the homes were free - this is just not my type of place. BTW, I'm in PA near Philly. I just find the area to be sprawling and dull. Nothing to do. Everyone stays inside for 5 months of winter. It's not exciting. There's nothing here.

I don't think people move because of lack of affordable housing. True, they might move because they want a house somewhere else but I don't think people use "lack of housing" as a way to drive a move.

Also, lots of people don't want "handyman's specials". Heck, you can find pretty cheap "specials" in almost any state. The catch being that they're specials. Online pictures don't tell you the whole story, such as even if it's in a ghetto. Yes, you can have nice houses in a ghetto. It's not as though the developer built them for ghetto people. They built nice houses, but they're sold cheap, thus attracting a lower class of life.

Last edited by bmurphy; 02-09-2007 at 04:48 AM..

Old 02-09-2007, 04:50 AM

Central and north FL are much cooler than south FL. The summers are gonna suck anywhere in the southern states. Spring/fall is more tolerable in central/north FL, instead of 85 degrees itll be like 75 degrees and theres no real winter, sure it can get down to 30s and 40s but no ice/frost/snow. Ill just visit the northeast in the winter for a week to have fun in the snow then head back down.

You want to relocate to FL so if I can find something in FL for $100k or even $50k, this is to your benefit and to anyone else that wants to relocate or stay in FL. Those who left FL because they were priced out can move back in(if they still want to) Let me tell you dont expect a nice house for $50k in central and north FL, your gonna need a "handyman" special with 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom. Still its just as big as an apartment and with a little work to fix the house up, the mortgage on a $50k house is far, far less than the $1200/month rent for a 2 bedroom apartment. I know you want to rent, I hope you dont rent more than a year cause its MUCH cheaper to own. Sure if you dont care about saving money and like making the landlord rich, hey thats your money.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:57 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,463,909 times
No, it isn't about all about the housing prices for me. It is about better job prospects, geography, and community. Housing costs factor in, but they aren't everything all other things considered.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Central and north FL are much cooler than south FL. The summers are gonna suck anywhere in the southern states. Spring/fall is more tolerable in central/north FL, instead of 85 degrees itll be like 75 degrees and theres no real winter, sure it can get down to 30s and 40s but no ice/frost/snow. Ill just visit the northeast in the winter for a week to have fun in the snow then head back down.

You want to relocate to FL so if I can find something in FL for $100k or even $50k, this is to your benefit and to anyone else that wants to relocate or stay in FL. Those who left FL because they were priced out can move back in(if they still want to) Let me tell you dont expect a nice house for $50k in central and north FL, your gonna need a "handyman" special with 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom. Still its just as big as an apartment and with a little work to fix the house up, the mortgage on a $50k house is far, far less than the $1200/month rent for a 2 bedroom apartment. I know you want to rent, I hope you dont rent more than a year cause its MUCH cheaper to own. Sure if you dont care about saving money and like making the landlord rich, hey thats your money.
Don't get too happy. Central FL may be a few degrees better, and they get a little more "winter", but it's certainly not some huge difference.

You talk to people like they're idiots, sometimes. We know you can get handyman's special houses cheap. It's just most people don't WANT them.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Don't get too happy. Central FL may be a few degrees better, and they get a little more "winter", but it's certainly not some huge difference.

You talk to people like they're idiots, sometimes. We know you can get handyman's special houses cheap. It's just most people don't WANT them.

Any difference is better. Ill take the central FL weather over the south FL. In fact ill take central FL weather over weather in states like Minnesota, North Dakota or Montana, ew -30 below zero? No thanks. At least the "winters" in central FL arent so hot that I need a/c and not so cold that I need heat. In south FL I need a/c most of the time in "winter" and 24/7 other seasons so central FL "saves" me a/c.

I also dont want a handyman special unless its half price because of the cost and time for repairs have to be worth the discount

Old 02-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Any difference is better. Ill take the central FL weather over the south FL. In fact ill take central FL weather over weather in states like Minnesota, North Dakota or Montana, ew -30 below zero? No thanks. At least the "winters" in central FL arent so hot that I need a/c and not so cold that I need heat. In south FL I need a/c most of the time in "winter" and 24/7 other seasons so central FL "saves" me a/c.

I also dont want a handyman special unless its half price because of the cost and time for repairs have to be worth the discount

I seriously hope you're kidding. Yes, it will be a LITTLE, LITTLE cooler in Central FL but that really won't affect your AC needs.

Winter still exists in FL. Stop putting it in quotes. Just cause there's no snow doesn't mean there's no winter. Difference.

Although -- it's funny how now that you found affordable housing in FL, you're not complaining anymore -- "summers suck everywhere" etc. Where was that attitude before.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,675,349 times
Honestly, even if I did come across an affordable house here in NJ, I still think we'd leave. The taxes are way high, and it is just too crowded for our tastes. There is also a very strong "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude that we dislike, and we are hopeful that when we move, it will be slightly less so. We are moving primarily for financial reasons, but also looking for a slightly different way of life; a town and area that is a little slower paced, with a higher emphasis on family and community values.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:12 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,732,674 times
It's afforable where I am, for me at least.... but, I'm getting out of here. I'm trying to go somewhere with more opportunity. There just isn't any where I am.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 PM

63 posts, read 318,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I don't think people move because of lack of affordable housing. True, they might move because they want a house somewhere else but I don't think people use "lack of housing" as a way to drive a move.
You've got no idea what you are talking about when you say this. If you haven't heard, over the last 3 years many people have become priced out of their areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or