U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 10:18 PM

56 posts, read 141,570 times

Advertisements

They're pretty rare in Oklahoma. In some places you can find cellars, with an outside entrance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 10:24 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,196,811 times
They are very common here. Almost every house has one.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 PM

708 posts, read 2,411,068 times
A lot of the houses here that are built on hills have them. Other than that, no.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,175,799 times
Chicago is a basement city, as are our suburbs. Wayne's World and "The 70's Show" are great portrayals of teens hanging out in the basement. Having always had them, I could not imagine having a house without them. You can leave them unfinished and use them for storage, tools, workbench, etc. or finish them and have more livable area. I know people that have elaborate basements with 2nd kitchens, full baths, etc. Those with outside access are very desirable. Some people convert them into inlaw apartments or rent them to their grown children, etc.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,890,466 times
In this area neither attics nor basements are common at all in newer homes, though basements are pretty standard fare in the older Craftsman and Victorian homes.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 3,246,892 times
This has been discussed before but no real answers that I can remember came of it, basements are commonplace close to st louis, you never see basements nor garages in the south, kinda weird but thereís gotta be a reason why, close to sea level low areas I can see, maybe itís the soil as another states, tuindecisive says not many in Oklahoma if I was living in tornado alley I sure would want one, heck some kinda hole to hide in anyway.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,780,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Nearly every house in NJ has one, I'm sure.
majority - i've lived in 2 that didn't, and my IL's don't have one. those post WWII-levitt type homes are a toss up - some are on slabs. however, i would agree that 99% of the homes in your area do.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,440,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
This has been discussed before but no real answers that I can remember came of it, basements are commonplace close to st louis, you never see basements nor garages in the south, kinda weird but thereís gotta be a reason why, close to sea level low areas I can see, maybe itís the soil as another states, tuindecisive says not many in Oklahoma if I was living in tornado alley I sure would want one, heck some kinda hole to hide in anyway.
I don't know if has anything to do with sea level or elevation so much, because they aren't common in Charlotte which is much more hilly than Chicago where they are found. I heard it had to do with the frost line or something along those lines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was told that the frost line isn't as deep in the sunbelt as it is up north or in the midwest and they have to dig the foundation deeper to keep the pipes from bursting?

Old 09-23-2008, 06:33 AM

11,893 posts, read 32,933,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
basements are not big anywhere in the South except maybe the older Southern cities like Richmond or Charleston (big maybe though on that one. Don't know for sure). It's usually the attic, which is not big in the North either. I know in DC, it's basements in most homes. But in Houston, it's mostly attics.
Huh? Maybe in the Deep South where the water table is really high. But here in the Upper South just about everyone I know has a basement. Even when I lived in Atlanta I saw a lot of basements.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,267,187 times
I'm pretty sure I don't live in a "metro" area, but pretty much all of houses around here in Maine have basements. In fact, it's kinda weird when someone doesn't have a basement, like maybe they were cutting corners and just couldn't afford one-lol.

And in the weird file, I know a lot of people with mobile and modular homes that have full basements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or