U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Huh? Maybe in the Deep South where the water table is really high. But here in the Upper South just about everyone I know has a basement. Even when I lived in Atlanta I saw a lot of basements.
The older houses, absolutely...it's less common in newer developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,557,265 times
You wound find many if any in Florida. We are too close to sealevel. Probably the same reason for Houston.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,255,479 times
Oh ya, New Englanders love their basements!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,444,268 times
Most homes here have basements. I couldnt live without one!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM

304 posts, read 829,305 times
basements are gross and stinky...

even when people "re-do" them, they make houses look dated and cold

Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 AM

5,116 posts, read 4,630,490 times
Here in Metro Detroit it varies.

All home construction up to the 1960's seems to almost always have a basement. Usually converted into some sort of "rec room", finished in some sort of dark plywood panelling or knotty pine.

From the 1960's thru the 1970's, ranches, tri-levels, and double-wides didn't have basements, colonials and bungalows did have them.

From 1980's to present time, the McMansions all had finished basements with drywall walls and carpeted floors. Great place to stow the yuppie larvae.

I used to hear about houses for sale down south that were advertised as having Michigan basements. Anyone else ever hear about this term? Anyone know what makes them "Michigan" basements?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
basements are gross and stinky...

even when people "re-do" them, they make houses look dated and cold

gross and stinky?? Maybe the specific basements you've been in. Ours growing up was where we spent most of our time. It was an awesomely decked out living space. It had a walk out back door and a deck with a pool out in the yard.

I always use to hang out in basements at my friends house, many times they were the snug "living" areas of the house. A few friends had unfinished basements, and they were just used as storage. I think basements are a great asset. Why do you immediately hate everything that isn't directly involved in your personal life? Very closed minded.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I don't know if has anything to do with sea level or elevation so much, because they aren't common in Charlotte which is much more hilly than Chicago where they are found. I heard it had to do with the frost line or something along those lines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was told that the frost line isn't as deep in the sunbelt as it is up north or in the midwest and they have to dig the foundation deeper to keep the pipes from bursting?

Right, up north where the fost line is 3-4 feet deep, you run all your pipes and utilities into the house below that line.

If you're going to dig 4 feet down anyway and install all your utilities in that area, might as well go down a few feet more and make an entire second level on your house.

I think they're the best areas to be an individual. Most houses come with the basement unfinished, or maybe with all the fixtures there to make them into whatever you want, but the $$$$ hasn't been spent to fully complete them. Then the homeowner can take control and either leave them as massive storage areas, complete a few rooms, put in an extra bedroom, playroom, or as is often the case they slowly build out the entire basement to be fully functional like the upper floors. My parents put in an extra shower, a shop for my dad to play with his tools, 3 large storage rooms, a fireplace and a large bar with a sink my dad built, and then sectioned off a room with a hot tub. They threw in 4 couches into the large main areas, and had 2 TV's, a stereo, dart board, etc. etc. That was our pimped out party room and where we put the largest TV. In the winter we could go fire up the fireplace, and sit back and watch TV all snug in the basement. I loved it. We'd roast marshmallows and cook hot dogs in the fireplace when I was a little kid. IT took almost 10 years to finally complete it all (we didn't have a lot of money, so it was a work in progress my dad built out himself), but when it was done it was a very original area. Our basement was the hang out place for all my friends as well as all my parents friends.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,911,780 times
Basements are common around these parts.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,444,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
gross and stinky?? Maybe the specific basements you've been in. Ours growing up was where we spent most of our time. It was an awesomely decked out living space. It had a walk out back door and a deck with a pool out in the yard.

I always use to hang out in basements at my friends house, many times they were the snug "living" areas of the house. A few friends had unfinished basements, and they were just used as storage. I think basements are a great asset. Why do you immediately hate everything that isn't directly involved in your personal life? Very closed minded.
That guy hates everything that isnt California (apparently including basements that arent found in California), get used to his ridiculous comments, he should be banned any day now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or