Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,535 times

Advertisements

This is something I greatly fear. With the pine beetles, the fires, and global warming, how is it even possible for the forests to ever grow back?

Are we moving into a different climate here in the West? In 100 years, will the mountains be arid, like the mountains east of Los Angeles?

At best, will there only be pockets left of the forests here now?

It's VERY worrying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times
Where I live, whenever there is a fire only about half of the trees actually burn and die and the next year seedlings sprout right away. I think the U.S. has more forest now that it did 100 years ago.
Of coarse there is some global warming, that's what happens when we are coming out of an ice age !
Don't worry, tomorrow will be there for you !

Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
The fires are perfectly normal. The reason wildfires burn out of control now is because natural fires have been put out for so long allowing excessive buildup, it's the same way here in the southeastern pine forests. "Smokey Bear" wasn't such a good thing for America's forests. I do worry about introduced diseases and insects though, whether it be Sudden Oak Death in California or the Emerald Ash Borer in the midwest.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Yes, it is true the US has more forest than it use to in the past.

Chillax dude! We're not falling into hell in that sense. Just everything else...

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM

362 posts, read 1,855,378 times
I know exactly why the OP is worrying so much. If anyone takes a drive through the Rockies, it's impossible not to worry. Huge swaths of forest are brown from those stupid pine beetles. My friend has a house in a remote mountain range in southern Wyoming. The entire mountain behind him is now dead thanks to the beetle. They are holding their breath, because at any second the whole mountain could take flame. But I read that last winter killed a lot of the beetles off, and we're supposed to have another harsh winter, so hopefully that will keep their numbers down.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:14 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times
Those beetles come in cycles just like the grasshoppers. It's a good year for getting firewood !

Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,029,723 times
That's what happens when you don't have any water! stay away from the great lake states! we will not give you any of ours.

seriously though, the west is going to be in bad shape 20 years from now.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:20 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,152 times
The pine beetles are very hazardous but I don't worry about fires. Fires are a natural way for trees to reproduce. When a fire kills a tree it plants about 5X as many seeds in its place.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:22 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,054 times
Furthering my Point that The entire West is just Dry ugly Desert and Never any lush Green out here.... it's how it's always been out here... The so called forests i guess if they want to call it forests... there just ugly Pine trees...in the West that's just it...... All the west has are coniferous Trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think with the exception of the Immediate Pacific coastal Areas and Pacific Northwest... i don't think there is one naturally Grown Deciduous Tree in the ENTIRE WESTERN REGION!!!!!!!!

THIS IS WHY I CAN'T STAND THE WEST COAST!!!!!!! all the trees on the EAST COAST are mostly Deciduous Tree Forests!!!!!!

WAY MORE BEAUTIFUL SCENIC SCENERY ON THE EAST COAST!!!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
Furthering my Point that The entire West is just Dry ugly Desert and Never any lush Green out here.... it's how it's always been out here... The so called forests i guess if they want to call it forests... there just ugly Pine trees...in the West that's just it...... All the west has are coniferous Trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think with the exception of the Immediate Pacific coastal Areas and Pacific Northwest... i don't think there is one naturally Grown Deciduous Tree in the ENTIRE WESTERN REGION!!!!!!!!

THIS IS WHY I CAN'T STAND THE WEST COAST!!!!!!! all the trees on the EAST COAST are mostly Deciduous Tree Forests!!!!!!

WAY MORE BEAUTIFUL SCENIC SCENERY ON THE EAST COAST!!!!!
Leave then. But actually, in Southern Oregon the forests are naturally more deciduous than coniferous, with oaks, madrones, and manzanita, among other species.

I don't think we have to worry too much about deforestation from natural causes so much as from human causes. Especially in places like Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.