U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:03 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,628,687 times

Advertisements

"Not enough palm trees??" lol. You are aware that 70% of the U.S dosen't have a climate suitable for palms?? lol.

And you are NorthNJ, you start the same exact types of threads, you have the same complaint about the U.S not having the metric system, you're both from Sweden, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,203,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Regular trees = non palm trees
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Sweden is just awash with palm trees .

Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,035,582 times
Quote:
Well OK I shouldn't complain about the mass transit.
Regular trees vs. Palm trees
If you want palm trees why did you move to NJ?!?!
I'm surprised you didn't say "It's too cold."

Most of our coins have denominations, you just have to read them "quarter dollar', 'five cents', 'one cent',...not on the dime so I'll give you that one, but you only have to remember 1 out of 4, stop complaining.

Our bills are the wrong size and color? No, ours are just right.

We don't use European measurements...OK, I'll give you that one as long as you concede that US ISN'T EUROPE!!

We have enough holidays. Let me guess..."They aren't the same as Europeeeeeaaaaan holidays!!"

OK, here's what I hate about the US...we let in too many whiny Europeans!! Someone call the WAAAAHHHHmbulance!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:44 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,571,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The red [brake] lights used as signal lights are difficult to notice.
I feel you here...it's like the signal lights are getting smaller and smaller or something.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,637,755 times
Quote:
This is what I HATE with the U.S.:
  • They don't use the metric system GO METRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most important is to convert to metric, or I hate the country forever!!
  • They don't use 24-hour clock system, AM/PM is crap
  • Many cars has read rear turn signals light (IT SHOULD BE YELLOW!) Red is harder to see because it's same light as back lights. And I will only buy car with amber light.
  • Too many regular trees, forest (For example in Northeast, especially NJ)
  • Not using European sizes
  • The coins should be numeric, how does non-U.S. people know what Dime, Quarter, Penny, Nicel etc. mean? Put numbers on them!!
  • The dollar bills should be different color and/or size.
  • Too many overweight people (This doesn't really bother me, but everyone is considering USA with fat people)
  • They don't allow fireworks in some of the states (NJ for example)
  • There's no ''Second day of Christmas on Dec 26, and second day of Easter, which is day after easter)
  • Few holidays
  • BAD BAD public transportation
  • Too much work, stress, few holidays!
What don't you like in/with the United States?
Some of that stuff makes me laugh. Most of those things are not even on anyone's radar screen. I think we have serious enough problems to worry about than most of the items on that list. 24 hour time system, metric system and European sized tires are like, wtf!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:17 PM

11,186 posts, read 22,411,839 times
Quote:
This is what I HATE with the U.S.:
  • They don't use the metric system GO METRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most important is to convert to metric, or I hate the country forever!!
  • They don't use 24-hour clock system, AM/PM is crap
  • Many cars has read rear turn signals light (IT SHOULD BE YELLOW!) Red is harder to see because it's same light as back lights. And I will only buy car with amber light.
  • Too many regular trees, forest (For example in Northeast, especially NJ)
  • Not using European sizes
  • The coins should be numeric, how does non-U.S. people know what Dime, Quarter, Penny, Nicel etc. mean? Put numbers on them!!
  • The dollar bills should be different color and/or size.
  • Too many overweight people (This doesn't really bother me, but everyone is considering USA with fat people)
  • They don't allow fireworks in some of the states (NJ for example)
  • There's no ''Second day of Christmas on Dec 26, and second day of Easter, which is day after easter)
  • Few holidays
  • BAD BAD public transportation
  • Too much work, stress, few holidays!
What don't you like in/with the United States?

If all these things really bother you, why are you here? From the sounds of it you should look into the possibility of moving to Europe somewhere. Look for a job to sponsor you.

Life's too short to focus on why you don't like where you are. If you don't like it - change it.

I don't get the trees part.....trees are trees. We didn't "decorate" the country, it came like this.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM

550 posts, read 1,974,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Man I envy you...you must have zero real problems in your life if you're concerned about the color of our money and the regularity of our trees.
You said it I think an abundance of trees is a good thing, as is AM/PM (I can't imagine saying, "Be there at twenty-one o' clock.")

Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,923,115 times
After you have lived in the U.S. for several years and grow up a little you might have the chance to go back to Sweden and you will either be glad to be back in Sweden or you may be whining about how much better it was in the U.S. After you start paying those high taxes out of your own pocket I think you will realize the good things about the way we do things here. Also you need to see more of the U.S. before making whole nation judgments. By the way what the heck is a "regular tree" ?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM

948 posts, read 3,417,271 times
Lilla Mattias , lyssna nu

The Metric system i can understand. But the dollar bills and the coins. You have to understand that Americans don't need colors and shapes to know what their money is worth. You just need to use your eyes. I have never confused a 1 dollar bill for a 100 dollar bill, NEVER.
And lay off the overweight thing already. European country's, especially Sweden is catching up so you tell them to stop pointing fingers and take the fork out of their mouth.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 PM

338 posts, read 477,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
You said it I think an abundance of trees is a good thing, as is AM/PM (I can't imagine saying, "Be there at twenty-one o' clock.")
Countries with 24 hr clock system NEVER say ''Twenty-one o' clock", they say ''Be there at 9 o' clock tonight". We use morning, afternoon, evening, night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.