U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:56 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,318,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
There are definitely beautiful areas of Cali. There are also ugly areas of Cali.
Personally I prefer the east coast.
Definitely agree. I prefer the east coast especially the people. Not so, hmmm, plastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 02:01 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,002,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
Out of all da U.S states, everyone here seems to talk about Cali the most. Why?? Theres other good states like NY and Florida
In my opinion you just listed 3 of the worst states in the country. Ill add Illinois as a close #4

Last edited by bls5555; 09-26-2008 at 02:20 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 12:24 AM

6,239 posts, read 15,448,091 times
I get more than a little tired and annoyed when people from outside California describe people out here as "plastic". The entertainment industry certainly has its fair share, but that's not the #1 industry. Believe it or not, in L.A., international trade is #1 (guess where all those goods from China come into the U.S.?), #2 is tourism, #3 is entertainment, #4 is technology, and #5 is business and professional services.

I know plenty of down to earth, normal, working people here. We're all just trying to eke out an existence of some kind, like anyone else in other parts of the country.

Please don't judge an entire city of 11 million people, or a state of 37 million people based on a very few samples that you see on TV or in films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Definitely agree. I prefer the east coast especially the people. Not so, hmmm, plastic.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I get more than a little tired and annoyed when people from outside California describe people out here as "plastic". The entertainment industry certainly has its fair share, but that's not the #1 industry. Believe it or not, in L.A., international trade is #1 (guess where all those goods from China come into the U.S.?), #2 is tourism, #3 is entertainment, #4 is technology, and #5 is business and professional services.

I know plenty of down to earth, normal, working people here. We're all just trying to eke out an existence of some kind, like anyone else in other parts of the country.

Please don't judge an entire city of 11 million people, or a state of 37 million people based on a very few samples that you see on TV or in films.
Exactly how us Texans feel when people think were all cowboys and live on farms.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,722,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
They hate us because we're beautiful.
We don't hate you, we're annoyed by people like MachineKnownAsLosAngeles, Milqueoast, and Oilpainter which forces us to defend our region. All three of them have been known to instigate trouble with New Yorkers, Chicagoans, and other cities. I really don't care if a Californian doesn't like New York, they mean nothing. But I care when you dog New York and if you dog New York, expect to get it back.

I've noticed that New Yorkers and Californians have been starting to get a little better this recent week because Oilpainter and MachineKnownAsLosAngeles haven't been dogging other places. MachineKnownAsLosAngeles even went as far as to say something positive about Chicago! Although he doesn't seem to want to budge with New York... Leads me to believe he's still stuck in the Death Row vs. Junior Mafia days. Me, I'm beginning to let my guard down a little, but I'm still pretty cautious when I see MachineKnownAsLosAngeles and Oilpainter. I'm very cautious... I'm like a cat.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 PM

32,372 posts, read 55,173,351 times
One of the places I love here is Lake Tahoe
http://www.myminitrip.com/images/100_0949lake_tahoe.jpg

Also Yosemite
http://www.themariposamarlins.com/images/yosemite_7_bg_090404.jpg (broken link)

I hate the drive along Hy 1 but Big Sur is breathtaking
http://www.mikelevin.com/BigSurBridge800.jpg

The waves get really big near San Francisco. I love watching.
http://www.jmg-galleries.com/images/...wer_decent.jpg

http://www.jmg-galleries.com/images/...ight_break.jpg

Living near San Francisco is not very difficult. LOL
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/...cabc7e7e_b.jpg

Last edited by Bo; 01-04-2009 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Inline copyrighted photos replaced with links to images.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 PM

133 posts, read 457,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
We don't hate you, we're annoyed by people like MachineKnownAsLosAngeles, Milqueoast, and Oilpainter which forces us to defend our region. All three of them have been known to instigate trouble with New Yorkers, Chicagoans, and other cities. I really don't care if a Californian doesn't like New York, they mean nothing. But I care when you dog New York and if you dog New York, expect to get it back.

I've noticed that New Yorkers and Californians have been starting to get a little better this recent week because Oilpainter and MachineKnownAsLosAngeles haven't been dogging other places. MachineKnownAsLosAngeles even went as far as to say something positive about Chicago! Although he doesn't seem to want to budge with New York... Leads me to believe he's still stuck in the Death Row vs. Junior Mafia days. Me, I'm beginning to let my guard down a little, but I'm still pretty cautious when I see MachineKnownAsLosAngeles and Oilpainter. I'm very cautious... I'm like a cat.
No doubt Future Cop! You tell it like it is. NY does not care if anybody else does not like us. I know you like to reference the east coast-west coast hip hop war of a decade ago, well I came up in that era and will say I always thought it was always exploited by the west coast. NY didn't care if CA wanted to bang and do what they do, we were more concerned with making money and doing our thing to pay much attention to them. I know no one else will care about this point so I will direct this to you--what do you think about NY now with gangs and all that B**SH**? I think it is all retarded! Bloods and Crips--that's a west coast thing! NY has never been about banging and all that. I think the early days of hip hop were the best! Hip hop back then was what NY was about--just having a good time and unity! It seems like somewhere along the line NY hip hop got hijacked and the west coast influenced us. I draw the line there. Let the west coast do their thing, but don't bring your style over here and force us to adapt. I know that sounds very ignorant, but for me it's sad to see NY become watered down and commercial like the rest of the country. NY needs to be NY again!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:56 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,232,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
hahha, hell no! I think hating on CA has become an official Olympic sport now! Just go to the general forum and search for CA and you'll see how many anti-CA threads there are under the other state forums. Or go to USAToday.com and anytime there is a story about CA, no matter what it's about, there will be hateful, ignorant comments directed at us.

It's the most populated and powerful state and the center of the media so we get a lot of attention, both good and bad. Some hate us for it, some love us, some like us, etc.... Honestly I'm tired of all the attention and coverage this state gets, it goes to SOME people's heads and causes a backlash against us. This state has a lot to offer but just as many problems it seems. On most quality of life measurements we rank average at best to below average but that doesn't stop people from gloating about the climate, scenery, things to do, etc...to defend this state. It's definitely not as praised or liked as much as it used to be.

Hi, I have seen you in another post. I'm beginning to think that you are a spokesman or woman for California.. Sav858, with all due respect, this post is comical to say the least. I mean, their hast to be a reason why thousands of people are complaining about California and why many people are moving HOLE family's OUT of Cali????

I'm not directly challenging your position but what I'm trying do is to get you to understand other peoples perspectives because you seem to be oblivious to the main issues Sav858, just like the people who live in Hollywood hills!

Seriously, your view of California indicates that you must be a wealthy man or woman who is able to afford the lifestyle that protects you from the common problems of a middle class Californian. If that's the case more power to you.

Respectfully,

M01

Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Hi, I have seen you in another post. I'm beginning to think that you are a spokesman or woman for California.. Sav858, with all due respect, this post is comical to say the least. I mean, their hast to be a reason why thousands of people are complaining about California and why many people are moving HOLE family's OUT of Cali????
Yes there are MANY reasons why people are leaving CA and I do recognize that with this post and many other posts about CA. What do you think I meant by this:
Quote:
This state has a lot to offer but just as many problems it seems. On most quality of life measurements we rank average at best to below average but that doesn't stop people from gloating about the climate, scenery, things to do, etc...to defend this state. It's definitely not as praised or liked as much as it used to be.

Quote:
I'm not directly challenging your position but what I'm trying do is to get you to understand other peoples perspectives because you seem to be oblivious to the main issues Sav858, just like the people who live in Hollywood hills!
What are you talking about? Where and when did I pretend CA doesn't have all the problems it has? I have no problem pointing the bad out just as I don't pointing the good out. What issues am I oblivious to? Please explain to me what issues you "think" I am not aware of. I know fully well all the problems this state has. This is from a post I made about CA on Friday:
Quote:
I love CA, it's my home and it always will be. BUT on the other hand I cannot deny all of the major quality of life issues it has. Even though my life is not bad and I don't experience many of the negative aspects of the state; I grew up in a great area, went to great schools, never had an issue with crime, etc... I realize many people in the state have had a much difference experience than me. And just all the negative things you hear about like huge budget shortfalls, illegals, pollution, etc.. it can wear on you whether or not you actually experience or see those things first hand. Just knowing you live in a state with so much inequality and problems can get to you.
^^how am I being "oblivious" to CA's problems when i say something like that??

Quote:
Seriously, your view of California indicates that you must be a wealthy man or woman who is able to afford the lifestyle that protects you from the common problems of a middle class Californian. If that's the case more power to you.

Respectfully,

M01
Seriously, your opinion of what you think I am like is VERY WRONG. I grew up a very middle class lifestyle and there were plenty of times my parents struggled when I was younger. We weren't poor but sure as hell weren't well off so don't come to me making assumptions about my lifestyle. My parents are much better off now than when I was growing up but we did struggle like many average middle class Americans when my family was younger. I'm barely considered middle class for the salary I make in San Diego right now.

Just b/c I don't "hate" CA and bash it constantly like some of you doesn't mean I am not aware of reality. Unlike some other people, I can see BOTH the good and bad about this state.

Last edited by sav858; 10-13-2008 at 06:25 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,232,937 times
I don't have a rebuttal for any of that, you've made your points well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or