U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should we punctuate Los Angeles?
L.A. 35 72.92%
LA 13 27.08%
La 0 0%
la 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,689,095 times

Advertisements

Honestly people in Louisiana seldom ever abbreviate anything when conversing. Alec, short for Alexandria, is one of the few examples I can think of. They pronounce it "L-ick". Either its from that slow pace we have or people like for you to understand them. Most people I know here when they say "el ay" are talking about Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,492,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
I think Los Angeles should decide. After all, there are more people in the city of Los Angeles than the state of Louisiana.
I can't be sure but I think most people in Los Angeles refer it as LA.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:00 PM

2,037 posts, read 4,557,837 times
LA is always Louisiana. Its the official abbreviation of it.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:58 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,689,095 times
Our state route 1 goes from the extreme northwest corner of La where it meets up with Ark and Tex, to Grand Isle on the Gulf. Everyone I have heard say it calls it L A one. Nothing else. So L A is used to identify at least highways in the state of Louisiana.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:32 PM

5,226 posts, read 3,637,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needless Kane View Post
Hello I've seen plenty of people make this mistake before but I just don't see why any one can't punctuate Los Angeles correctly really a simple L.A. and you have the correct punctuation of Los Angeles not Louisiana or la or La. LA is Louisiana and it's allways will be LA so if you want to say Los Angeles punctuate it L.A the same thing goes for la, la is not Los Angeles at all neither is this (La). It's to confusing please I ask you to do it like this:

L.A.

well actually you should decide if this way (L.A.) should win for punctuating Los Angeles. If that way wins then that is how we will punctuate Los Angeles on here if this way wins (LA) than you have to punctuate it like that for now on, O.K. let the debate begin.
Everybody knows it means LOWER ALABAMA

Old 04-04-2015, 07:52 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,154,105 times
It depends on the context but I see people use L.A. for Los Angeles more than Louisiana.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:00 PM

542 posts, read 490,062 times
I thought it was Los Alamos!?

Old 04-05-2015, 06:47 AM

6,586 posts, read 3,640,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can't be sure but I think most people in Los Angeles refer it as LA.

That is correct, in any communication outside of official governmental written correspondence. Now the question then becomes are we talking about The City of Los Angeles, the more inclusive Los Angeles County or the even greater Southland area adding in the surrounding mountain and desert counties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
LA is always Louisiana. Its the official abbreviation of it.

Yes on an envelope before the zip code you will write LA. However from my folks, being from New Orleans and DeRidder, I have never heard of them refer to Louisiana as "LA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Everybody knows it means LOWER ALABAMA
I first heard if from a Drill Sergeant when Angelenos said they were from LA, it seems as if the military only recognizes you as being from a state. So we had this silly look but holding a straight face wondering why he was going on about lower Alabama. Still the Los Angeles identity remains stronger than the California identity.

Now if a drill sergeant who had the power to make me do push ups and carry blocks of ice could not break the habit someone wishing me to write L.A. instead of LA in what is essentially a chatting situation isn't either

Old 04-05-2015, 07:14 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Depends on whether the person uses CA for Canada or California or Central America. People just love the warm fuzzy glow of using a "hip" expression, to show that they are in some inner circle, and are familiar with all the fashionable nicknames and expressions used by insiders. So much more fun than making the necessary keystrokes to write in complete sentences using real words, which is so boring.

My college roommate was from Louisiana, and a navy veteran on the GI bill. I asked him what ship he was on, he said "the L-A". I still knew nothing.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:46 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,745,743 times
L.A. stands for Los Alamos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.