U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:04 AM

6,739 posts, read 8,730,985 times

Advertisements

I'd say PA, even though I don't live there "yet". I've drove thru there many times and the people I have encountered where always friendly and helpful.

I'm originally from NY and now living in KS........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 10:12 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,129,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Virginia gets my vote, if Fairfax Co, Loudoun Co, Alexandria, and Arlington can be cut off. The rest of the state has most of the things mentioned in the op.
I agree. Its too bad that part of the state is no longer really Virginia. It used to be right nice.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:29 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,461,337 times
Alaska. The temps are cold, but some people (like me) prefer that. It will never become overcrowded, crime is low, scenery is best in the states, a general quality of life there seems to be world class from what Ive read/seen.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:14 PM

3,484 posts, read 5,154,377 times
Smile Best State

bmurphy and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre,

I live in Connecticut but spend weekends in New Hampshire. New Hampshire is a special place and has great people, recreational activities and history.

That being said, my father is from Wilkes-Barre and many of my relatives live there. My aunt's nephew is the mayor of Wilkes-Barre and I have been following all the exciting things that have been taking place in your community. My great aunt was the dean of Misecordia College and I recently enjoyed visiting the area and meeting all the helpful people. I plan to visit Wilkes-Barre in the near future and look forward to going to a hockey or arena football game at your wonderful arena.

I wish that my hometown of Bristol, CT could experience the same type of rebirth that your community is experiencing.

Enjoy!

Old 02-11-2007, 10:39 PM

14 posts, read 40,651 times
Except if you're looking to homeschool. PA has some of the worst homeschooling laws and regulations, and has it's share of "going after" homeschoolers.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:35 PM

72 posts, read 381,441 times
PA is berautiful, no doubt. I just moved from MA to TX last year. Everyone said I was crazy because it is "so hot." I need to say that for me, having hot summer days is way better than long, cold, winters. Property taxes would be my only complaint. Everything else is so much cheaper down here, though. CUlture and the arts? Well, it's her ebut you just have to look a little harder to find it. Just north of San ANtonio is the Hill Country which is just beautiful. There's plenty of nice litle towns and any one of three other major cities is anywhere between 1 - 4 hours away. The coast is just 2 hours away too! If you live in the north side of San ANtonio, you won't have much crime either.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:03 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,396,022 times
FLORIDA!!!!
(And if you don't agree we don't need to hear a thousand negative posts of why you don't - as Archie Bunker would say, "STIFLE!!!" )

THEE BEST WEATHER!!! (read above statement again )
MANY different naturescapes - forest, wetlands, scrub, marsh. swamp. beach
THE ONE AND ONLY EVERGLADES!!!
DIVERSITY! We got it ALL baby! You name it, we got it! People from every state, people from every country, big time rednecks, big time rich folk, lots of gays, jews, freakies, normals - EVERYTHING!!!
And this state is SO big - I look forward to exploring it ALL!!!
AND we have the best grapefruit!!! (And orange juice!)
We can grow all kinds of tropical fruit trees down south or
we can have woods and hills and pure white sand beaches up north!
WE GOT IT ALL BABY!
(Yeah, yeah, no mountains. They're beautiful but overrated And you can always visit them - in the summer - and it's STILL too dang cold at night! )

Old 02-12-2007, 08:56 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,875,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Actually it isn't. It isn't even in the top 10 according to Sperling. Tuscon is the worst city for crime then Memphis and Miami. Houston is pretty far down on the list, it's a fairly safe city. The weather isn't horrible (if you want extreme heat try Phoenix in the summer). Houston is the only city with a substantial amount of humidity.
Dallas has been tops in the nation 4 out of the last 5 years. I posted links in another thread, not in the mood to look for them. Here's an older quick local link showing that we were tops
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?B...&PAG=461&rfi=9

Old 02-12-2007, 03:07 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,296,093 times
Moderator cut: link removed

Not according to Sperling, it lists the top large cities in the nation for crime as:

Tucson
Memphis
Miami
Phoenix-Mesa
Little Rock

Dallas doesn't even make the top 5 list...

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 04:18 AM..

Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,997,093 times
I would not live anywhere with a high crime index of over 400-450 so most of the big cities in any state is out. I also dont really like the problems like traffic and pollution that big cities have.

I havent been to many states so its hard to say but theres alot I like about WV, PA and OH. Affordable, reasonably priced houses is the biggest reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or