U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 04:53 AM

127 posts, read 870,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
The houses are old but are in as good condition as the overpriced new houses...
This doesn't make very much sense...how can an old house be in 'as good condition' as a new one...whatever, though trust me the 20 year old trailers are not in good condition, mostly
Quote:
The weather is good most of the time, what do you not like about the weather?
Well, it's dog humid in the summertime. It's cloudy, cold and snowy in the winter. The springtime is variable with many storms. The fall is beautiful but it is over way too quick
Quote:
There is plenty to do if you arent a clubbin or partin guy...
Really like what? I couldn't think of 5 things to do that didn't involve eating or drinking...
Quote:
Best of all, the crime index is low so those areas are safe, much, much safer in fact compared to my city...
Crime in Columbus is quite bad, and there are some sketchy areas of town I wouldn't want to walk in...but out in the country it's not too bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 05:43 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,185,426 times
Texas, hands down. I choose the heat over the 18 feet of snow in other parts of the country. Crime is found in every big city. Texas is tough on crime. People are friendly, still good basic values with a work ethic found here. Sunshine most days out of the year. No state tax, real estate low in most places (forget the big cities). Since the state is so big, there is huge diverse topography from pine trees to desert, mountains and ocean, etc. My main complaint is the scarcity of lattes in the small towns I pass through!!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:53 AM

12 posts, read 56,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
This is kinda just for fun, and I know every state has problems. In your opinion though, which one is the best? I'm talking about: weather, not growing too fast, good economy, good housing, fair taxes, etc. Nothing is perfect but which state(s) achieve the balance well enough?

My nomination would have to be PA. No -- it's not perfect, or anywhere close, and I haven't ever lived anywhere else. Taxes can be high, but seem fair. Housing is pretty moderate. The weather is 4 seasons. Not overcrowding at any fast rate. Not a huge risk of natural disasters though quakes, hurricanes and tornadoes have happened.
-----------------
I have to agree with you. PA would be my choice.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:00 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,787,642 times
Kentucky and/or West Virginia!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:09 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,991,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
This doesn't make very much sense...how can an old house be in 'as good condition' as a new one...whatever, though trust me the 20 year old trailers are not in good condition, mostly

Well, it's dog humid in the summertime. It's cloudy, cold and snowy in the winter. The springtime is variable with many storms. The fall is beautiful but it is over way too quick

Really like what? I couldn't think of 5 things to do that didn't involve eating or drinking...

Crime in Columbus is quite bad, and there are some sketchy areas of town I wouldn't want to walk in...but out in the country it's not too bad

Actually many old houses were built better than those cookie cutter new houses. Also the owners who live there keep the house in great condition. I have seen vitrual tours and I would choose some of those houses over modern tract houses. I am not talking about trailor but a house like this:

http://homepics.realtor.com/image9/http/alleghenyvalley/listings/large/003/133499.jpg (broken link)

Humid in the summer in the northeast? LOL its hot and humid 10 months of the year in south Florida and 75% of the time during the "winter" its still hot and humid! Of course its cold, cloudy and snowy in the winter anywhere north, those states have four seasons and most people like it that way accroding to the poll thread I made on this forum.

Want to have fun get a hobby or something. Fun doesnt have to mean drinking and partying and going to strip joints! As for crime, Oil city, Franklin and Titusville are very safe. Lots of good towns in WV to choose from.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:57 PM

669 posts, read 2,945,588 times
There is nothing to do in those towns besides shop and eat. That was the poster's point. You will get bored. Don't kid yourself. Hobbies don't keep you occupied forever. You can't be a hermit. You'll have to leave the house -- and when you do, you'll be bored.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,991,823 times
I am bored here in West Palm Beach. Its too dangerous to go out to clubs, thats where people get mugged, raped or even murdered. I take a risk even going shopping. Theres bank robberies all the time and mall shootings. I cant wait to get out of my 14th most dangerous city!

Old 02-17-2007, 11:38 PM

127 posts, read 870,931 times
Quote:
I am bored here in West Palm Beach. Its too dangerous to go out to clubs, thats where people get mugged, raped or even murdered. I take a risk even going shopping. Theres bank robberies all the time and mall shootings. I cant wait to get out of my 14th most dangerous city!
Well, heck, WPB sounds like a pretty shoddy place...but I can think of plenty of areas better than WV/OH/PA area. Here are some examples for you:
New England
Texas
Illinois/Wisconsin
Tennessee
Arizona
The Northwest

These regions all stack up far better than the mentioned area. There is PLENTY to do in all 6 areas. The cost of living fluctuates between them, but quite often you get what you pay for, and all of them are reasonable. The climates are all very different in these areas, but in some places eg IL/WI, New England, the extreme climates can lead to other recreational chances like ice fishing and snow mobiling. The climate in Ohio was just dull and gloomy, yet not cold enough to support these activities.

All I'm getting at is if you're gonna leave WPB, you should seriously consider other areas rather than just jumping into this one because of what people may have told you etc. The folk in the hills tend to like where they live, simply because they've never been anywhere else to know any different.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:41 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,393,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
NEW YORK! Best city on the planet, wonderful countryside upstate, lovely shores out on the island, and the prosperity of Westchester. But mainly it's the city that makes it
Love it! They ask for state & a true NYer says NY but means the city!!!
It's in the blood baby, it's in the blood! (NYer here, born & raised!)

Hey NAH - we definately don't agree on weather ( ) but I TOTALLY hear ya about the "getting bored" thing! I don't get bored either!!!
I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think if you have an active MIND and a "childlike" sense of wonder/adventure/imagination - you don't get bored!
When I tell people I don't own a TV, they ask "So what do you do?" Or if they ask if I "go out" & I say no, I get the same response.
I am perfectly happy to sit in my yard, putz on the computer, (city-data is the only forum I go to...I like to research stuff about health & places, read about weather, look at real estate, putz on ebay) go biking, dream of hiking when we take vacation, spend time with my love, with my fish, talk on the telly - with that & doing laundry, dishes, eating, sleeping - WHAT TIME IS LEFT???!!!
And I'm usually up about 17 hours - but I like to get between 8 & 10 hours sleep! So I figure if a day had 28-30 hours, that would be great! And if we didn't have to work, which takes up the most d*mn time then I'd be hiking & biking & enjoying the wonderful SOFL weather, (MINUS Nov - April!!!) taking up cooking, gardening - AHHHHHH the things there are to do!
Malls? Movies? Restaurants? TV? What are THOSE?!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:55 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,069,248 times
Ohio is one of my favorite states easily. The economy slag? I dont think ive been alive when the economy there wasnt slagging. Lets not go throwing stones and writing off Ohio because its slow and cloudy in the winter. When you're known for as many things as Ohio I dont think it even needs to be said that balance and long term growth with sustainable affordable rates are successfull. Progress isnt always what can be done but sometimes whats not done.

Im sensing the usual northeast arrogance and hatefullness towards Ohio. You better hope NYC stays on the northeasts side. Because if NYC ever sways towards Ohio revitalization there are going to be some really mad northeasterners when the state you crapped on so many times has the upper hand and comes a knocking at your door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or