U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,224,113 times

Advertisements

Also, how would you compare urban, suburban, and rural areas? North, Central Valley, or South? Have you had overall good or not-so-good experiences in California or with Californians?

I intend to take a trip out there next year (esp. SD, LA, SF, and traveling the PCH,) so I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,708,587 times
A mixed bag; there is no way you can make a generalization about "Californians" as a whole.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:29 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
men unbelievably heartless with a smile and a hawaiian shirt.
pretty women in love with a mirror, one that has no reflection.
all done with an endless palm tree background right out of shahrazad.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:29 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,564,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
A mixed bag; there is no way you can make a generalization about "Californians" as a whole.
Of course you can make a generalization, you just can't be specific...there's got to be an average or a majority.
Now to answer the question: I generally find Californians to be friendly, but sometimes a little arrogant. I have family in LA and SF, and both seem very kind/friendly to strangers, esp. the ones from LA.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 PM

536 posts, read 1,948,843 times
No problems here, a few people I ran into from SoCal have a different lingo that they think is too cool for school, other than that im cool with California, just don't want to live there.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,483,673 times
Well, it obviously depends on where you go, but Californians are generally very friendly. Where I'm from, people can be a little skeptical of outsiders, but once you spend some time talking to them, they'll bend over backwards to help you. I think this is mostly a product of the good ol' boys network. You hate it until you wake up one day and realize that you are in fact a good ol' boy, and that you have in fact been taking advantage of it for years.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM

767 posts, read 1,827,344 times
For big cities, I think that most people in San Francisco and San Diego are extremely friendly. Sure, you have the typical jerks and uptight people like anywhere else. But in both of these cities, I think that a majority of people are laid back and very accomodating to outsiders. If you even look lost or confused in SF, people stop and offer their help (and I'm not just talking about the bums who want money). If you're lost in most cities, nobody cares - unless they want to rob you. I found the people in San Diego to be equally nice even in the more ritzy beach areas (especially in Coronado). LA is alot more congested and people seem more uptight. But I think that's true in any city of that size. In the friendliness category, I would put SF and San Diego way above the big eastern cities, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and, with a few exceptions, most of the big cities in the south (e.g., Miami, New Orleans, Tampa, etc.). In those places, people seem alot more uptight, hurried, and uncaring in general.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:29 PM

508 posts, read 1,316,088 times
I thought the people in SF and SD were awesome. Didn't live up to the stereotypes at all but I have found that to be the case just about every place I have been.

I didn't spend much time LA, just a few stops.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:47 PM

3,664 posts, read 8,836,042 times
It is hard to make a general statement since California is a diverse state. I could however summarize each area:

San Diego is a city of transplants being a military town, so it does not feel like a California city people wise. Best way to describe S.D. is that you have good and bad from all over the U.S. and even the world. S.D. is still politically conservative for California, but moderate in the urban areas. The natives are usually cool and laid-back but many can be arrogant. From my experiense, S.D. has a lot of flakey people. They seem friendly at first and not in-your-face rude like in the Northeast, but you find out after awhile that something is a little off and you can't trust them.

Orange County has a wealthy population, so many of them can be snobs and like to show off their luxury cars, and still have their Bush/Cheney '04 bumper stickers. In the OC, the more expensive car has the right-of-way.

Los Angeles is big in itself and very diverse. It depends on where you're at. I've met some of the most down-to-earth people in L.A. and some of the most shallow and stuck-up people as well. Overall, I had good impressions of Angelinos as long as I wasn't driving. Road rage is common there and you always have to worry about the car behind you (don't take too long to turn or to find parking, or drive too slow). I like the use the Metro Rail system up there, and it is a lot less stressful.

San Francisco has a unique subculture. It's an urban vibe and generally liberal. There are a lot of hippie and artsy types, and they are usually laid back and friendly.

The rural parts of California are like rural parts of any state. The people are generally friendly, but they can be closed-minded and you'll find more racism.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,449,721 times
I've visited L.A., SF, and San Diego and found people Texas-friendly in all of them! The first time I visited SF, I met a woman on the street who invited me to her apartment and proceeded to make pasta for dinner while I watched a recording of pre-Pee Wee Herman Paul Reubens she wanted me to see, and this was after she gave me a mini-tour of the city earlier that day!

Last edited by houstoner; 10-22-2008 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or