U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:41 PM
ljr ljr started this thread

3 posts, read 15,425 times

Advertisements

my name is Laura

Myself n boyf and little girl want to migrate to America were trying to figure out which state would be best to raise a family nice schools safe community.. You might think im being niave and maybe theres no such state.
Where from Dublin but live in Meath you have to relize that were we are from theres hardly any crime. I mean we dont have serial rapist or murderers or shut outs or anything like that.. The worst thing that has happened in my area would be a fist fight outside a pub...
We just have to get out of this country it rains constantly, everything is so expensive no one can afford to live her anymore.. just as an example i bought a new ford focus basic model it was 26,000 euros.. Are we mad to want a better life is there a better life over there...
ill tell you my perfect dream home if you promise not to laugh Wisteria lane in desperte housewives do places like this exsist????
please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 04:01 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,667,810 times
Default Ma.,Ill.,or NY.

Hello Laura

Just saw you post by chance on the texas forum. I originally from Massachusettes and now in New Jersey. I would suggest looking at Massachusettes in general (no paticular town comes to mind), Chicago Illionis, Maybe even some places in New York State. All these places have some strong Irish roots. And honestly that will make your transition over to the US easier (at least I believe so.) for paticulars of each town in each state use the city data search engine.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:11 PM

63 posts, read 318,386 times
How about Dublin, Ohio.

No but seriously it just depends on what you are looking for. I don't see how it should matter just because you are from Ireland.

I did happen to start a thread here a couple of weeks ago about where are the Irish American neighborhoods. You might want to go back and look at it, there might something of interest there.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,198,470 times
BOSTON very large Irish population. Actually New England in genral works but Boston is your best bet. Even the IRA has friends there.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:19 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,906,244 times
I'd vote for New England, but not Boston! Why not Boston? Boston is probably too big a city for what you are after but many of the small towns and cities in New England will seem familiar and may fit what you're after.

But, you know, in the end, the grass is not greener and Ireland is very green.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 AM

4,908 posts, read 12,520,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr View Post
ill tell you my perfect dream home if you promise not to laugh Wisteria lane in desperte housewives do places like this exsist????
please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately more than you could ever imagine.

States with largest Irish heritage

1. California- 2.6 Million
2.New York- 2.4 M
3. Pennsylvania- 2 M
4. Florida- 1.6 M
5.Illinois- 1.5 M

Irish heritage By a % of total population

1. Massachussettes- 22%
2.New hampshire- 19%
3.Rhode Island- 18%
4-Pennsylvania-Conneticutt-Delaware-Vermont 16%

Keep in mind that all of the above states, except Cal and FLA have not gotten above 0 celcius 32 fahrenheit for the past 2 weeks. Its BRRRR cold in the northeast. I'd pick a state with a moderate climate.

Regardless of nationality my top 3 cities in the usa I would move to are.

San Diego
Colorado Springs
Raleigh North carolina

Old 02-11-2007, 12:22 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,646,034 times
Sure, you can find many suburbs with low crime rates. I think in general America loves the Irish, so you should be welcome no matter where you go. Wanting low crime, affordable housing, and good schools are reasonable, but you also may want to consider the job market for what you do. Here's a good website to look at:
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcst.htm

Without knowing what you do, it's hard to make suggestions. Raleigh, NC has some very nice suburbs and the pricing isn't too bad; the job market is good and crime is relatively low. The northeast is known for its great schools, but it's a bit cold and tends to be more expensive. My husband and I are moving to the Kansas City suburbs at the end of this summer; crime is relatively low, the pay is good for what we do, prices are reasonable, and the schools are average to good.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:06 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,358,698 times
Most suburban areas in the U.S. will offer low crime and good schools. Weather-wise, no matter where you move in the U.S. it will be an improvement from Ireland . I would not recommend the Pacific Northwest however if looking to distance yourself from the rain and grey skies. Similarly, the cost of living as I understand it will be much cheaper here than almost anyplace in Ireland, minus a handful of places (NYC, San Francisco, etc.) that you most likely wouldn't be interested in anyways due to higher crime and low-performing public schools. It's a huge country so it's hard to steer people towards a certain area, but I would concentrate more on the south and west in suburban areas of larger cities. When taken as a whole, the Northeast and Upper Midwest generally have the top-performing public schools but they can get frigid and snowy in the winters.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,383,531 times
No violence untill the Meath GAA team step on the pitch eh ljr ? How do you guys plan on moving here ? Do you have jobs and visas etc already lined up ? There are some Irish here in New Mexico, im the only one in Clayton but there are a bunch of Irish and English in Clovis. There are a few in Santa Fe too, but if you cant afford to live in Meath, there is no way in the world you will be able to afford the money pit that is Santa Fe

Old 02-12-2007, 10:41 AM

16,464 posts, read 20,750,685 times
My son's teacher is from Ireland. We currently live in Washington State, the Seattle/Tacoma area. She says that the climate here is very similar to Ireland.

However, I wouldn't recommend moving here. It's outrageously expensive, and crime is really bad and getting worse. We're hoping to get out of here this summer.

Based upon our research (affordable, good quality of life, decent schools, safe community), I would recommend rural New England. There might be some places further south in places like Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc., that you might look into. We didn't, because we want to stay in a climate of 4 seasons. I like snow in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or