Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:16 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

One word:

Raid.

Works wonders with flying cockroaches and anything else I spray it on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 12:19 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hey. Im a Illinoisan and I can (literally) handle these "pests" much better than 99.9% of southerners can.

KIDS... DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!

Seriously folks, there's nothing to really be afraid of if you'd educate yourselves on the critters.

Eeek! I can handle them all right...with a rolled up newspaper for the bugs and a shovel to kill that snake....

Old 09-27-2008, 06:41 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Maybe. But when I was living down there it happened often. Maybe I was just living in a dump apt. complex.

Okay, tough guy, I like how you're able to handle everything in nature and talk trash. Guys like that are usually the first to die. Just like that one guy who used to handle pythons and then was found strangled by one. Or how about Sigfried and Roy, when Roy was bitten in the neck by a white tiger and sustained major injuries? Oh, and ever hear of Steve Irwin? Of course you have, he's probably your idol. Maybe one day you'll follow in his footsteps and end up being gutted in the chest by a stingray too.

LOL @ this guy thinking he's a bigshot. How pathetic.
Hmmm, I think it is hard to compare a tiger to a brown recluse but ok.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Insulting a dead guy. Way to go!

Steve Irwin loved animals and did everything he could to save them. Crazy? Sure. But it was what he loved. Better to understand animals than to always avoid them, because you can't always avoid them.

As far as bugs, it's just something you deal with. You can never get away from bugs completely. We have spiders and beetles, but most are harmless.
It still breaks my heart that Steve is gone. He should have died at the age of 95 dang it!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:15 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,456 times
The only bugs that have ever caused most people any problem are mosquitos, and you find them all over the more humid eastern half of the United States. This year, due to the drought, mosquitos were hardly even noticeable.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its not hard to understand what you were implying. And making fun of that guy (by saying Steve Irwin is probably his "idol") and then saying he'll probably get killed by a stingray as well was uncalled for. Youre also making fun of those who have been maimed and/or killed by animals.

Ill ask you this: who gets killed more by wild animals every year? Those who know and work with animals, or those who try to prove their machismo and mess with animals when they dont know what theyre doing?
The latter, I suppose. But thank God I'm neither. I steer clear of them.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:18 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
I never said I went out and stuck my neck in every nook and cranny of wild nature. I just said I don't spend my time standing on top of a chair shrieking every time I see a pest. If there's a scorpion in your house, kill it. If there's a roach in your house, kill it (although if it's a Texas sized roach you might need to smack it four or five times to finish it off). If by merely doing this you think I am acting like a "bigshot," it goes a long way toward explaining why Southeners can handle these pests and those who are not Southerners can't.

Maybe Steve-O can give the straight scoop on this, but if what I've heard is correct, you might want to be careful about killing roaches and scorpions in your house, at least about doing so by smashing them. You may just end up spreading roach eggs or little baby scorpions all over the house.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:32 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Boric acid powder works wonders.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:23 PM

38 posts, read 155,483 times
living in this city i see lots of millipedes (ew), cockroaches, some of my friends have rats and mice, flies, and mosquitos... but i dont think that those bugs are exactly unheard of in other cities...

also out in the suburbs of richmond there really isn't much of anything (bug wise)

Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
I live out the country. We have mice, spiders, bugs of all kinds. We've even had a snake and a skink in our house (both harmless).

But you just learn to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.