U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,559,867 times

Advertisements

Well, this is one month since leaving so cal for a small town in OK. Don't miss socal at all. With the gang grafetti all over the place and the growing incidents, if it hits the fan that is NOT the place to be. Here may not be perfect, but sure feels that way. And if there is a meltdown, the house is paid for.

Any large metropolitan area will be bad. When people have no money and need basics they will turn to means they would not have considered. And no city will be left out of the carnage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,559,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Wherever I can roam the urban wastelands and highways in my custom-modified sports car, looking for petrol to keep the engine burning, or driving the 18-wheeler tanker full of sand to get the mohawk punks to chase me.
LOL Now Thats a movie to get us in the mood!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:08 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,968,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Omaha hasn't at least.
Try telling someone in Michigan or Ohio there hasn't been much job loss in the Midwest....

Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,708,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Try telling someone in Michigan or Ohio there hasn't been much job loss in the Midwest....
True, but I consider those states the East............

Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 PM

38 posts, read 142,035 times
Virginia, especially Richmond, is largely unaffected by this economic crisis. Houses are continuing to be built.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:45 PM

16,960 posts, read 22,280,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Probably out in a rural area in a house you already own with farm animals and a large vegetable garden. Whatever will make you more self-sufficient.
Precisely. I'd only add, in an area with low (or no) taxes, so it's not too difficult to remain in that area.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:32 AM

17,446 posts, read 23,968,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
True, but I consider those states the East............
So you mean Lower Midwest as opposed to Upper Midwest/Great Lakes area?

I wouldn't be so sure the Lower Midwest hasn't seen much job loss. Omaha may not be that bad off but I don't think St. Louis is doing too well....

Old 09-29-2008, 08:01 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,898 times
I saw a news story here locally that said Omaha was the only city in the area, including Kansas City, Des Moines and Chicago that would survive an economic resession with little to no effect. Gosh help me if I could find that story...

Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times
My choice would be a 45 foot cutter rig provisioned to the gunwales. I already have the pirate flag, I just need to get the boat ! There may be a total meltdown someday but I don't think that time will be any time soon. (But I may be buying that boat soon just in case) ! How many of the posters on these types of threads are wearing tin foil hats ?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:49 AM

19,121 posts, read 26,697,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
My choice would be a 45 foot cutter rig provisioned to the gunwales. I already have the pirate flag, I just need to get the boat ! There may be a total meltdown someday but I don't think that time will be any time soon. (But I may be buying that boat soon just in case) ! How many of the posters on these types of threads are wearing tin foil hats ?
haha! We have a very large pirate flag on the front of our house (that resembles a boat, really... the landlord thinks wood paneling is the best decoration for the inside, outside, bathrooms, kitchens.....) much to the shagrin of our neighbors (they actually called the cops on us because we had an Obama 08 banner on our deck) .
Well, we have all the provisions necessary to start a nice garden come spring, we have our chicken coop up and ready for birds come mid winter and our dehydrator and pressure cooker is all ready for meat, vegetables and fruit to store.
Plus, our landlord is in the army so he's not foreclosing anytime soon. I'd say we're pretty ready for anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.