U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Forest Type do you like Better: Deciduous or Coniferous Forest?
Deciduous Forests 50 60.98%
Coniferous Forests 32 39.02%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:08 AM

22,383 posts, read 27,584,655 times

Advertisements

(In Homer Simpson's voice): "I like the first one better... Delicious."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 02:59 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,574,575 times
Deciduous:

Confierous:

Oh, that's a tough one!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 AM

2,932 posts, read 6,904,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Deciduous:

Confierous:

Oh, that's a tough one!
The first actually isn't a forest. An old growth deciduous forest in the Mountains of NC would beat a coniferous forest any day!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 AM

1,848 posts, read 6,250,017 times
I like our Coniferous Forests here in the west. The deciduous ones would be wonderful to see during fall, but I'll take the green forests of home.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,574,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
The first actually isn't a forest. An old growth deciduous forest in the Mountains of NC would beat a coniferous forest any day!
No, your little parks in your little hills are no match for trve forests full of bears and hobbits.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,322,522 times
Deciduous for the win.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:19 AM

39,326 posts, read 18,827,849 times
I love the mixed forests of Maine and New Hampshire....the oaks, beech and maples and the hemlock and pine.....it is a wonderful tapestry....a beautiful counterpane the whole year round. To choose one or the other is unnecessary.....we have it all.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,908,399 times
In western Montana there is a deciduous conifer called Western Larch (Tamarack). The wood is much like Red Cedar and the needles turn yellow and drop in the fall.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:38 AM

39,326 posts, read 18,827,849 times
Default Tamarack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
In western Montana there is a deciduous conifer called Western Larch (Tamarack). The wood is much like Red Cedar and the needles turn yellow and drop in the fall.
We have tamarack/larch trees here in New England as well as a native tree; there are also specimen trees called Dawn Redwood that shed their needles in the fall. These trees were thought to have gone extinct in pre-historic times but they were discovered growing in the mountains of China and have since been grown from seed and used as landscape trees in parks and estates in America.

Tamarack - 100 Most Common Trees

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,203,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, your little parks in your little hills are no match for trve forests full of bears and hobbits.
Well, you went out of your way to post a playground and not a forest. And, at the risk of sounding like a complete nerd, The Shire (where hobbits live) is a deciduous forest.... and black bears live in the forests of the east too. Also, some bears like Pandas only live in deciduous forests.

I love both because I love forests in general but I voted deciduous for a few reasons.

I lived most of my life in one, and despite enjoying hikes with the pines of northern new england, and the west, I will always feel most at home bushwacking through the undergrowth. (There are plenty of evergreens in Massachusetts but I would still say its predominately deciduous.

Unfortunately, much of the worlds Deciduous forests are no longer there. Why? because they are some of the most desirable places for a civilization. Places that have flourished over the last 2000 years such as most of Europe, Japan, and the east coasts of China, the US, and Australia (in all 3 of these cases, the nations began in these east coast forests).

I like both of these types of forests for their wildlife. The animals that call deciduous and coniferous forests their homes are some of my favourites. Hopefully they'll all get to stick around for a while.

Overall, forests in general rule compared to any other ecoregion IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.