Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Forest Type do you like Better: Deciduous or Coniferous Forest?
Deciduous Forests 51 60.71%
Coniferous Forests 33 39.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Deciduous most of the time. Here we have a nice mixed forest mostly, but it is hard to beat Deciduous when it comes to the Fall.

Early Fall:

Same Location but a bit lower in elevation and the leaves are turning a bit sooner:

Even later in the Fall:

Yeah, I like deciduous forests. Coniferous is nice as well. There are tens of thousands of square miles of deciduous forests left and not just in parks. Very unfair photos to use to try and prove coniferous is better than other forest types. Like I said before, a mixed forest gives you the best of both worlds. Plus if you burn wood in the winter, nothing beats having deciduous forests close at hand for the nice Oak, Maple, and other hardwoods for the fireplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
I just don't sense wilderness in deciduous wooded areas. They feel more like undeveloped parcels of land between subdivisions. Of course, that's slanted by western perspective.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM

321 posts, read 1,096,934 times
I like the deciduous forests in the autumn... Other wise there pretty nice to.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I just don't sense wilderness in deciduous wooded areas. They feel more like undeveloped parcels of land between subdivisions. Of course, that's slanted by western perspective.
Absolutely correct in recognizing the bias. Hit the other side of the Country and I can take you back into some really remote areas that are mainly Duciduous and view Moose, Bear, Canadian Lynx, etc... and be many, many miles from anything that resembles a house, let alone a town or village. That is up in Maine. Here we have the UP and while not quite so devoid of settlement as the North Maine Woods, there are places where it is miles of thick forest to the nearest woods road. then a long drive to a settlement of tiny size.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Our forests in Wisconsin are a mix of Coniferous and Deciduous. The Coniferous trees definitely outnumber the Deciduous in our forests, but birch trees are common as well. I personally prefer Deciduous.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Thats because they often are lol!

There is something that seems more wild about a pine forest for some reason.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:54 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Deciduous. In the winter you need every square inch of sunlight hitting the ground possible.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
Deciduous Forest is pretty much anywhere on the East Coast and anywhere East of the Rockies, and in the Coastal Pacific Northwest in Washington where it's kinda a rainforest.

Coniferous Forest is pretty much the entire Mountainous regions Pine Forests and high altitude forests. Pretty much all you find in the West Coast.

Which do you think is more scenic ?
You will find Coniferous forests in the east in the far north but also in the South. New Jersey and Long Island have their pine barrens. Still most of the east (including the south, NJ and LI) is primarily Deciduous.

I was always curious how far south you have to go to find non-pine forests that actually keep their leaves all year long.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Deciduous. In the winter you need every square inch of sunlight hitting the ground possible.
Good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.