U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
These are not the ones that are homeschooling. And it's not like the children won't have to meet set standards in order to further their academic career.
You'd be surprised! I work in a pediatrician's office and for some reason, our office is very popular with the homeschooling community. As I said, you'd be surprised who homeschools. It's not just the university graduates. There was just a good homeschooling discussion on the education forum. I"m by no means opposed, but it wasn't for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 PM

450 posts, read 928,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
California used to set trends. I don't think they do anymore. Just look at the out-migration going on there. People are leaving it in droves. Probably because of nonsense like this.
Good riddance, California.
By the way, the vast majority of home-schooled kids I've known, are much smarter, and get better scholarships to college than their public-school counterparts, on average.
I believe that you are entirely correct. Studies support the fact that home schooled children excel academically. The rise of home schooling, charter schools, etc. must be frightening to people in public education because it represents a serious challenge to their monopoly. I would suggest that one possible reason home schooled children do so well is the fact that they are actually being taught. This is contrary to what appears to be the outcome of public education- not so much to teach, but to re-engineer society along utopian ideals. I think it would behoove concerned people to examine the history and policies of the NEA (National Education Assn.) and their role in setting the agenda for public education. They are far more than the largest teachers union. They are one of the biggest lobbying organizations in Washington.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:15 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,750,956 times
Well, most of the country sees this for what it is: A well-armed teachers' union strongarming the courts to outlaw competition to terrible public schools.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:44 PM

412 posts, read 1,607,579 times
I support completely remaking the curriculum of homeschooling but not banning it. I have a friend that is an American History teacher and he looked through some homeschooling curriculum and told me that he had no idea who any of the people they were talking about were when referring to the founding of are country, if this is so that means that who ever writes the stuff is rewriting history which I do not support. Homeschooling its self does not bother me but that does. Homeschooling has proven to be much more efficient and of higher quality than public school but it can only meet those standards if it teaches factual important information.

Last edited by Jaipur; 10-26-2008 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I support completely remaking the curriculum of homeschooling but not banning it. I have a friend that is an American History teacher and he looked through some homeschooling curriculum and told me that he had no idea who any of the people they were talking about were when referring to the founding of are country, if this is so that means that who ever writes the stuff is rewriting history which I do not support. Homeschooling its self does not bother me but that does. Homeschooling has proven to be much more efficient and of higher quality than public school but it can only meet those standards if it teaches factual important information.
Who did the home schooling materials refer to? Revisionist history is ongoing at all levels of scholarship. History cannot be relived, only reinterpreted. For example, revisionist historians have been floating the notion for years that most of the founding fathers were Deists. An examination of historical fact (primary source documents, etc.) clearly proves that is wrong. Yet somehow this revisionist version of history has found its way into public school classrooms and has been taught as fact. It would be interesting to know where your friend received his education. Sadly, the average person feels somehow unqualified to question anyone with the letters PhD after their name, so they accept carte blanche what is being said. The dirty little secret is the world of academia likes it that way. It justifies their elitism.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 PM

412 posts, read 1,607,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
Who did the home schooling materials refer to? Revisionist history is ongoing at all levels of scholarship. History cannot be relived, only reinterpreted. For example, revisionist historians have been floating the notion for years that most of the founding fathers were Deists. An examination of historical fact (primary source documents, etc.) clearly proves that is wrong. Yet somehow this revisionist version of history has found its way into public school classrooms and has been taught as fact. It would be interesting to know where your friend received his education. Sadly, the average person feels somehow unqualified to question anyone with the letters PhD after their name, so they accept carte blanche what is being said. The dirty little secret is the world of academia likes it that way. It justifies their elitism.
First off just for your information, he teaches at a private school. And he went to Xavier and got his degree in English, he used to be an editor before the publishing company he worked for went bankrupt and then he took an interest in history. So he went back to college studied history, read tons of books, and traveled all around the United States learning about history and then moved to Texas and became a history teacher.
I am not sure where the homeschool curriculum was from but I looked through it as well and it was not revisionist history, it was almost fiction. I am familiar with revisionist history and that is defiantly not what this was.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
There is a huge number of famllies in this country who are simply not sending their kids to school. And not giving them any instruction at all. Or teaching them whatever they please. Or just holding thieir kids prisoner for any of a variety of reasons, none of which are very comforting. In many states, there is virtuallly no effective oversight of parents who just say they are home-schooling.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a huge number of famllies in this country who are simply not sending their kids to school. And not giving them any instruction at all. Or teaching them whatever they please. Or just holding thieir kids prisoner for any of a variety of reasons, none of which are very comforting. In many states, there is virtuallly no effective oversight of parents who just say they are home-schooling.
You are probably right. When my kids were of school age, I wrestled with the home-schooling concept (that's a long time ago). I don't deny the sincerity of most home schooling parents, I'm sure there are a few duds too. What concerned me was the fact that most parents (obviously) did not have the resources financially to obtain the latest teaching aids (technology, books, etc.) that a school district has. My wife and I took a different approach. We moved to a small town with neighborhood grammer schools, one middle and one high school. We further involved ourselves in as many school activities as possible: Home School Assn., various committees, field trips, monitoring, fund raisers, etc. We tried to be a positive influence and for my part, it was an exciting time in my life. I have nothing but admiration for the teachers and administrators on the local level. It is the bureaucracy at the highest levels and their agenda I have problems with.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:45 PM

253 posts, read 1,505,465 times
Scarily enough, some North Dakota are trying to deregulate homeschooling. From the Fargo newspaper:

By Janell Cole
State Capitol Bureau
BISMARCK – North Dakota home-schoolers deal with some of the toughest regulations in the country and the strictest of any state in the upper Midwest.

They think the laws are unnecessary and are embarking on a mission to have the Legislature do away with virtually all such laws over the next three legislative sessions.

James Bartlett of Bottineau, executive director of the North Dakota Home School Association, told the Legislature’s interim Education Committee on Monday of home schoolers’ plans to ask the 2009 Legislature to get rid of state laws that require parents to meet certain qualifications and force families to submit to monitoring by a licensed teacher.

Studies show no statistical correlation between the amount of home-school regulations in a state and the college admission testing of home-school students versus school-educated students, said Cam Leedahl of Leonard, a home-schooler parent whose children are now grown.

“The facts all point to the fact that regulation is not necessary,” Leedahl said.

If a repeal of monitoring and qualification requirements is passed, it would put the state into what home-schoolers call the “moderate regulation” category. They would push for repeal of more regulations in 2011, making the state a low-regulation state, and lobby for further repeal of laws in 2013.

If they are successful, the final step would put North Dakota in the same category as 10 other states that don’t require parents to report to education authorities when they home-school their children.

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Wayne Sanstead told the committee that current regulations are the result of compromises worked out 20 years ago between home-school groups and the state. He said he would “adamantly oppose” any repeal of monitoring laws.

“You don’t believe it should be revisited after 20 years?” asked Rep. Karen Karls, R-Bismarck. “Do you believe home schoolers are not doing a good job?”

Sanstead said he “hears about cases around the state” in which neighbors or others have suspected children are not being educated.

Leedahl told Rep. Lisa Meier, R-Bismarck, that an estimated 10,000 families are home schooling their children. Some of them are doing so without filing the necessary “intent” papers with authorities.

The committee took no action. It was the panel’s final meeting of the interim and it adjourned for good Monday.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,957,210 times
I don't think California trend hold much weight here in Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.