U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree?
Agree 15 53.57%
Disagree 9 32.14%
Don't Care 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,552 times

Advertisements

Why am I unable to purchase most goods made in North America but am rather forced to buy exclusively imported from China?
I believe this answers the question of a crashing economy.
Why can the experts not see this simple problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseNote View Post
Why am I unable to purchase most goods made in North America but am rather forced to buy exclusively imported from China?
I believe this answers the question of a crashing economy.
Why can the experts not see this simple problem?
Because these so-called experts have a vested financial interest in keeping things this way. Follow the money trail. It answers all questions.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,097,209 times
This might help to some degree.

U.S. Stuff Home- Made in USA Products, Assembled in USA Products, usstuff.com

Old 09-25-2008, 07:38 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,914,590 times
Who exactly is "forcing" you to buy stuff from China ? All you have to do is read on the label where it says "made in China" and not buy it. There are plenty of products made in the U.S.A. but they are often a bit higher in cost. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything except insurance if you drive.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,394,180 times
You mean would I rather buy a $4 razor made in China with someone who was paid $3 an hour to make it. Or would I rather the same type of razor made in America that costs $11 and used someone who made $10 an hour?

It's all economics, it's not "China's fault".

I thought this was all kinda common sense by now!?!?

We could easily stop all shipments from China and buy only from the USA, but then of course we'd only be able to afford a little less than half of what we're use to buying now. Our real wage and income adjusted for inflation and living costs have gone down the past few decades. The only reason at all we're still seeing a standard of living increase and being able to afford all these products is because it's being made with dirt cheap labor elsewhere, and we're going further into debt. Feel free to buy only American, but you'll wake up very quickly to where our own purchasing power parity has gone. And no, the increased production from all these new American built products would not offset the advantage we see of having people in other countries make them for 10% of the cost.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM

3,596 posts, read 7,710,711 times
It's really the four exclamation points that makes me question the utility of reply

Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,218,263 times
I know fish isn't produce but I accidentally purchased Chinese farm raised fish (the packaging was very discreet about that) a while back and seemed to feel nauseous every time I would eat the fish.
The quality of Chinese products is disgusting if you ask me.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:08 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
You mean would I rather buy a $4 razor made in China with someone who was paid $3 an hour to make it. Or would I rather the same type of razor made in America that costs $11 and used someone who made $10 an hour?

It's all economics, it's not "China's fault".

I thought this was all kinda common sense by now!?!?

We could easily stop all shipments from China and buy only from the USA, but then of course we'd only be able to afford a little less than half of what we're use to buying now. Our real wage and income adjusted for inflation and living costs have gone down the past few decades. The only reason at all we're still seeing a standard of living increase and being able to afford all these products is because it's being made with dirt cheap labor elsewhere, and we're going further into debt. Feel free to buy only American, but you'll wake up very quickly to where our own purchasing power parity has gone. And no, the increased production from all these new American built products would not offset the advantage we see of having people in other countries make them for 10% of the cost.
You're right, it's not China's fault. It's people here who keep buying this stuff along with our wonderful American businessmen who would sell out their own mother to line their pockets. China's only taking advantage of a situation that we help create.

The way I look at it, this can not continue indefinitely. Something must give otherwise we will become a third world country. Low wages and massive foreign balance of trade deficits did not get us to superpower status. We are trading our long term security for short term consumerism.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:55 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,914,590 times
Like I said, take a bit more care in choosing the products you buy and read the freaking labels. Don't blame China, if we want our country to be stronger buy American and pay the higher price. Better yet reuse, recycle and try to do for yourself. I took two broken garden rakes and made one good one from the parts. If I ended up having to buy a new one I would buy one made here. We are the problem not our politicians or foreign countries. At least we do trade with China instead of fighting. China is not our enemy, Russia is.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 AM

769 posts, read 2,012,176 times
Many shoppers in the U.S. could care less and/or don't want to spend the extra time to check for "Made in U.S.A." on every product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or