U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,062,832 times

Advertisements

I just heard a story recently about someone who failed to pay a fine and when trying to get on a flight (domestic flight) they were promptly arrested for that outstanding fine. I suppose it depends how far the agency / municipality / whatever is willing to go. I don't know that I'd risk paying for a ticket and possibly not being able to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 01:11 AM

6,262 posts, read 17,373,111 times
my son had a traffic ticket he avoided paying ~ let me insert IDIOT here~ and I kept telling him it would catch up to him. He's in Bama too. Well 3 years down the road the police did a round-up one day and arrested LOTS of people for traffic violations which had not been paid. They were serious too. Arrested him and he had to sit in jail for a while and owed added fees in addition to the simple traffic tkt.
Called me COLLECT from jail to ask for help............no way!!

I think he would advise you to.........pay the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtino View Post
Yeah, I got letter to stating somewhat like...they can come in to your house or business or work and arrest you. Kind of threatening. but I sounds like I am going to have to pay 1200 bucks for two tickets. It's just stupid for me to get little two excited for new year and get my adrenline going while I was cruising by quietly in my little A8.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:08 AM

5,772 posts, read 13,738,189 times
I'll add my voice to those advising you to just pay up. Where you could run into real trouble would be if a judge issued an order for you to pay the fine. Then if you still didn't pay, you could be looking at a bench warrant for your arrest on whatever criminal charges they might have in Texas that relate to this, whether it automatically is a criminal offense in TX if you don't pay, or is contempt of court of you disobey a judge's order to pay. Whether anything could happen to you in Alabama would then depend on what kind of extradition agreement TX and AL had, and how aggressively Texas wanted to pursue this. It's not out of the question that you could be pulled over for a minor traffic violation, have the cop check your record and discover that there was a warrant out for your arrest, then find yourself being arrested and shipped back to Texas to stand trial.

What would happen as you went through Customs when leaving the country is another issue. I don't know the answer, because Customs is a federal agency that might possibly not care about some violation of state law as minor as an upaid fine. Then again, if they did check, and discovered that you had a warrant, maybe they would take you into custody and send you back to Texas, just the way the Alabama cops might do. I'm really not sure what would happen. I wouldn't risk it, though. Just pay the fine, and take it as a lesson in life.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:34 PM

6 posts, read 17,431 times
Thank you all (yall ;-). I am going to pay now and the consequences of not paying doesn't sound good.:-)

Old 09-28-2008, 12:13 AM

3,596 posts, read 7,710,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my son had a traffic ticket he avoided paying ~ let me insert IDIOT here~ and I kept telling him it would catch up to him. He's in Bama too. Well 3 years down the road the police did a round-up one day and arrested LOTS of people for traffic violations which had not been paid. They were serious too. Arrested him and he had to sit in jail for a while and owed added fees in addition to the simple traffic tkt.
Called me COLLECT from jail to ask for help............no way!!

I think he would advise you to.........pay the ticket.
You are clearly a fantastic parent. Great job

Old 09-28-2008, 08:17 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,634,943 times
Back in the mid-80s, I got a ticket in Chicago for parking too close to a fire hydrant. I just blew it off and never paid it. They started doubling the fine and a $20 ticket became $200. I just kept ignoring it and it eventually went away.

I think that these days though they are much more aggressive about going after you since they constantly need the money. I would hope though that a parking ticket doesn't escalate into an international incident. Don't they have enough real problems to worry about.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,914,590 times
Anyone who can afford to drive an Audi A8 can afford to pay their fines. I have a very low opinion of knuckleheads who duck out on their bills. It's really easy to stay out of trouble, just do the right thing pay the fine and stop the lawbreaking. What a lame post !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or