U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,811,409 times
Reputation: 357

Advertisements

And after all that worthless typing you still have not made a valid point against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State.........



Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I don't agree that it isn't a rant, and this is my last response to you, so don't bother replying. Richmond does not have its own identity, its identity has never changed. And the idea of it being different from the rest of Virginia is laughable..having been there myself, i know this to be bogus. Baltimore and Washington are not that different...they have overlapped and are a mere 50 miles apart...suggesting that some difference exists between them is outrageous...yes, people will argue they are different cities, and they are in that regard...in regards to everything else, they are not. Baltimore and Washington haven't been more like Richmond for at least a century. After the Civil War, Baltimore and Washington lost many of their southern characteristics, reducing them to mere influences. And Baltimore and Washington may not be more like New England, but they are certainly more like the lower Northeast.

Demographic maps showing dominant white ancestry per county (Maryland is German, a trait only found in states outside of the south), religious maps (especially Southern Baptist ones), and I know for a fact that 10 years ago, sweet tea was not heavily sold and marketed in most of Maryland...the only southern food they had was their seafood industry, and one can actually even question whether that is southern because New England has a seafood industry. My only grudge with the Southern Baptist map is that Missouri, while it may have large numbers of Baptists, is not linguistically or culturally associated with the south, and actually has more Catholics than Baptists in terms of numbers of religious adherents.

Here is a dialect map which has been widely and universally accepted by just about everyone on the planet. It was done by professional linguists from the University of Pennsylvania. It only includes southern Maryland in southern dialect. If all these maps are not enough for you, you're beyond help and it's not my concern.

NYC dialect samples

Google Image Result for http://www.lawpundit.com/blog/GermanAmericanAncestryMapCensus2000.jpg

Google Image Result for http://philebersole.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/baptist.gif

Couple all this on top of my own experiences having visited Maryland and Delaware, and Baltimore and Maryland are all more associated with Pennsylvania than Virginia. Anybody who would say these places can't be considered more Northern than Southern from a modern standpoint is not someone I'm going to give my time of day to. Good day sir...we are done discussing this. Don't bother replying.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,811,409 times
Reputation: 357
WOW



Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
You're a waste of space and energy. You can't produce a single document supporting your opinion. Meanwhile, I've given mounds of supporting evidence. You just can't admit you're wrong. And I'm not GTFOH. I'm going to stay until I've driven you out of your mind..lol you already aren't yourself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,811,409 times
Reputation: 357
Keep up the Good Work..........


Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
LMAO. You obviously dont even understand your OWN two-bit "documentation".
Your so-called "NY dialect map" clearly says..." Map of Urban Dialect Areas in the US". Its obvious you dont see the problem with that statement so we'll see if you can comprehend the rest, as it goes on to say..."The South Atlantic States which are Delaware, Florida, Goergia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virgina (plus the District of Columbia)" ahem. Not only that, the phrase "frequently heard (by Northerners) as being quite Southern sounding." That my friend is their opinion...some Northerners think people from Detroit sound Southern...I DO NOT...go look at the "Why some people loose their accent" thread on C-D...it will be just as valid a documentation as this mess youre using. On top of that, did you even look at the Green Lines through MD? You do know where DC and Delmarva are, dont you?LMAO. Even Baltimore is suspciouslly close to that line. But check this out...


Andy's Baltimore Accent - YouTube Bmore/ Southwest/Dundalk etc.


BLACK MAN JOINS THE KKK - YouTube And "Bob" dont even sound like his ethnic group been in MD long but check him out any way...LMAO.


Eastern Shore of Maryland Accent - YouTube "Wheres Toya/Gloria?Wheres the baby?" LOL. E.Shore.



The odd accent of Tangier VA (from AMERICAN TONGUES) - YouTube The odd accent of Tangier...more isolated...yet sounds similar to Baltimore accents especially when pronouncing goose, house, loose etc. If this link doesnt work just go to you tube and type in The Odd accent of Tangiers Va.or click under this picture here ^^^^^^^^^^^^. Play it over the Baltimore accent at the same time.SMH.
..

Discussion with random elderly guy in Norfolk about the history of the Ocean View area - YouTube Tidewater, NORFOLK VA.


Carolina Outer Banks Brogue Vocabulary - YouTube OBX NC slightly different

Your German ancestry map means what exactly??? NOTHING!!!LOL. you a trip.LMAO.

Your "baptist religious map" BUWHAHAAHHA...are you serious? What about the AME church?LOL.

Look dude/maam I was born here and travel all through these lands.You from the- SHOW ME- state but you aint showed me ISH!!!LOL...you cant drive me out of my mind because I KNOW what Im talkin about. SMH. "Ive given mounds of supporting evidence" you say, LMAO!!!! patooey!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM
 
270 posts, read 215,042 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
LMAO.

I know we call all Central Americans "mexicans", but I think the ones in DE might be Ecuadorian/Guatemalans and the ones in PG/NoVa are Salvadorian. Why since George Bush JR. they all decided to come out here , I do not know. But since we arent really familiar with these folks Im sure they will continued to all be called Mexican.
And they will continue to call us Gringos, comprende?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,090,960 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Not just George Bush Jr. but more so of the local City/State Democrat Politicians rolling out the welcome red carpet invitation for more Illegal Mexican-Central American Immigrants to populate the cities/suburbs.......
Sad. Why do you think that is. I heard Maryland was opening a workcenter for illegeals.LMAO. Issuing drivers liscenses, is this true? SMH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Keep up the Good Work..........
Got to...transplants and foreigners are trying to act as though Maryland started existing when they arrived there, for some reason. SMH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil Fools View Post
And they will continue to call us Gringos, comprende?
So. I do not go to New Mexico nor do I go to any Mexican dominated territories, nor do I care to. No disrespect to you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 PM
 
Location: NYC
94 posts, read 191,831 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
It is about location and when it comes to culture just by judging the above comment pretty much describes that you have not taken any travels to different parts of Maryland except for Washington, DC and maybe Baltimore in which it is well known that a lot of people from DC and Baltimore are transplants from other regions of the United States.
Actually, no. The friends of which I speak are from small towns in Maryland, and their families have been there for generations. Please don't make assumptions about people you don't know. These people are not transplants and do not consider themselves southern nor do they have any trace of southern culture.

You keep saying it's a "FACT" that Maryland is southern, but you've presented no proof. Also, it's obviously NOT a fact if it is this debatable and others have provided documentation showing that it's not a southern state.

Whether it's mid-Atlantic or Northern, I won't get into that argument because I can see the evidence for both arguments and both make sense to me. But it is NOT southern. Not in culture. And I'm not saying this as an "arrogant southerner." I'm saying this as someone who has traveled all over the country. I've lived both in the north and in the south and done a lot of traveling of the states between. There are definitely cultural differences between all the regions, and Maryland is NOT AT ALL like Southern states in culture. Which is what I'm discussing here. If you think it's southern in location, fine. Everyone's perception of that is different. But when someone asks me what southern states are, I look at culture as my regional divider.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,235,722 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I guess they dont makem to bright in missoura huh...watch the videos..LISTEN...the people speak for themselves. You are arguin against your own "documentation". Your "experts" are the ones who included DE, MD, and DC in the "SOUTH ATLANTIC"...where as I said" Mid-Atlantic",along with VA, smart one.Experts?LOL.EF YOUR so-called experts..they are idiots, you foreigner.
Ahh, I see...turning to personal insults to have an argument. How admirable. I have two college degrees and a six figure salary..and yes, compared to people of your calibur in Maryland, I'd say they do breed us brighter. My experts worked for the University of Pennsylvania in the linguistics department, you f****ing moron. The dialect lines are based on widely accepted ones, such as those published by Karath, some know-it-all like you would have no knowledge on. You just called the ultimate experts in American dialect idiots...that makes you the biggest idiot on this forum. And put Maryland in the Suth Atlantic? THey did no such thing. The Census Bureau did that, and they did it solely based on an outdated line that you and $mk8795 cling to as your only proof of Maryland being southern, not northeastern, from a modern standpoint. I listened to several of those dialects, and they don't sound southern to me, at least not the one i heard from baltimore. It sounds nothing like the dialect of Tangier, VA, are wherever the f*** that was. And it sounds absolutely NOTHING like the Norfolk dialect. So I'm sorry, but you've lost. Your videos fail to convince me, and your only response when I give you positive proof of Maryland not being southern is to deny it and berate linguistic experts as retarded. You are no linguistics expert, so stop even pretending like you know what you are talking about. You are like a patient who thinks he's a better doctor than the doctor himself. Professional linguists in the University of Pennsylvania study, which is a widely accepted linguistic study, concluded that the majority of people residing in Maryland and Delaware spoke with a non-Southern accent. That makes any video you posted meaningless. How dare you call linguists that are among the most widely accepted in the country retards. You must be the ultimate expert. Call me a foreigner...I have family that lives in that state, you prick. Just because you live there and I don't doesn't make you any more knowledgable about it. Look up any dialect map and they will all show the exact same thing as mine showed. So far your only rebuffing of it has been based on individual videos which really don't prove much at all, and your constant dismissing of them as crap without any real evidence to show they are crap. Users like you and $mk8795 make this forum an embarrassment.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,486,078 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
...some Northerners think people from Detroit sound Southern...I DO NOT...go look at the "Why some people loose their accent" thread on C-D...it will be just as valid a documentation as this mess youre using. On top of that, did you even look at the Green Lines through MD? You do know where DC and Delmarva are, dont you?LMAO. Even Baltimore is suspciouslly close to that line. But check this out...


Andy's Baltimore Accent - YouTube Bmore/ Southwest/Dundalk etc.



The odd accent of Tangier VA (from AMERICAN TONGUES) - YouTube The odd accent of Tangier...more isolated...yet sounds similar to Baltimore accents especially when pronouncing goose, house, loose etc. If this link doesn't work just go to you tube and type in The Odd accent of Tangiers Va.or click under this picture here ^^^^^^^^^^^^. Play it over the Baltimore accent at the same time.SMH.
The Baltimore Dialect is more a closer to the Philadelphia dialect then it is to cities like Richmond, VA or the Tidewater region. Here are some Baltimore Natives. Do these accents sound more southern than Northern to you? I don't think they do.

Micheal Phelps

Michael Phelps Olympics Interview - YouTube

Stacy Keibler

Stacy Keibler Interview at Step Up Women's Network's 7th Annual Inspiration Awards - YouTube

Lance Reddick

BuddyTV interview with Lance Reddick (Fringe) - YouTube



Quote:
Your German ancestry map means what exactly??? NOTHING!!!LOL. you a trip.LMAO
.
Well the fact remains that the Germans primarily chose to settle in Northern states as oppose to the Southern states. You can't say that doesn't mean anything and then accept that one of the traits you will find in the Northern states is a large Italian American population. You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Your "baptist religious map" BUWHAHAAHHA...are you serious? What about the AME church?LOL.
Northern states tend to have a larger Catholic population while the South leans more Baptist or Protestant. This is a fact. There are many traits that divide Southern States from Northern states and this one just happens to be about religion.


Quote:
Look dude/maam I was born here and travel all through these lands.You from the- SHOW ME- state but you aint showed me ISH!!!LOL...you cant drive me out of my mind because I KNOW what Im talkin about. SMH. "Ive given mounds of supporting evidence" you say, LMAO!!!! patooey!
All he did was back up his arguments with fact which you have yet to disprove. You seem to dodge around the argument and go off mainly by emotion, on offense of course.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 01-06-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,090,960 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Ahh, I see...turning to personal insults to have an argument. How admirable. I have two college degrees and a six figure salary..and yes, compared to people of your calibur in Maryland, I'd say they do breed us brighter. My experts worked for the University of Pennsylvania in the linguistics department, you f****ing moron. The dialect lines are based on widely accepted ones, such as those published by Karath, some know-it-all like you would have no knowledge on. You just called the ultimate experts in American dialect idiots...that makes you the biggest idiot on this forum. And put Maryland in the Suth Atlantic? THey did no such thing. The Census Bureau did that, and they did it solely based on an outdated line that you and $mk8795 cling to as your only proof of Maryland being southern, not northeastern, from a modern standpoint. I listened to several of those dialects, and they don't sound southern to me, at least not the one i heard from baltimore. It sounds nothing like the dialect of Tangier, VA, are wherever the f*** that was. And it sounds absolutely NOTHING like the Norfolk dialect. So I'm sorry, but you've lost. Your videos fail to convince me, and your only response when I give you positive proof of Maryland not being southern is to deny it and berate linguistic experts as retarded. You are no linguistics expert, so stop even pretending like you know what you are talking about. You are like a patient who thinks he's a better doctor than the doctor himself. Professional linguists in the University of Pennsylvania study, which is a widely accepted linguistic study, concluded that the majority of people residing in Maryland and Delaware spoke with a non-Southern accent. That makes any video you posted meaningless. How dare you call linguists that are among the most widely accepted in the country retards. You must be the ultimate expert. Call me a foreigner...I have family that lives in that state, you prick. Just because you live there and I don't doesn't make you any more knowledgable about it. Look up any dialect map and they will all show the exact same thing as mine showed. So far your only rebuffing of it has been based on individual videos which really don't prove much at all, and your constant dismissing of them as crap without any real evidence to show they are crap. Users like you and $mk8795 make this forum an embarrassment.
I just want to capture this post before it gets deleted for some reason ..by you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,486,078 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And after all that worthless typing you still have not made a valid point against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State.........

Forgive me for asking but what valid points have you made besides going off the US Census Bureau which is by no means perfect itself as history has shown us (like counting blacks as 3/4 of a person for example). The US Census Bureau is always changing. The only thing you seem to go by as justification for separating the North from the South is the Mason-Dixon line.

We can end this debate once and for all if you can just answer this one question. "Do you honestly believe that the Mason-Dixon line is the true distinct line that truly separates Northern culture from Southern Culture when it comes to reality?" If you answer No than I will certainly agree but if you answer Yes than I will unapologetically debunk everything you thought you knew about the Mason-Dixon line. Sounds pretty good to me.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 01-06-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top