U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times
Reputation: 5401

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And yes you just screwed up you Bull Sh-t anti-Maryland argument.......

Sorry kid but Maryland is still a Southern State.........
Looking at the map Maryland has more Catholics than Baptist, which is a trend that most non-southern states have when it comes to religious affiliation.

More importantly how am I anti-Maryland? I have never bashed the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 PM
 
Location: NYC
94 posts, read 191,429 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Umm Hmm Yeppp Uhh Haaa Sure

However after All of that typing it still does not take away from the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State and you or any Maryland hating disrespectful deep southerner can not do a dam*n thing to remove the reality.........
Two things.

1. I'm not from the "Deep South." I'm from Kentucky. It's the south, but not the "Deep" south.

2. Again, you say it's a "fact" but you haven't given any proof of this argument. Which means it's NOT a fact. It's your opinion.

And please don't insinuate I'm lying. I'm not. I've been to Maryland (not DC or Baltimore), and I loved it. I do not call Maryland northern because I hate it. I don't hate the north, either. I LIVE IN THE NORTH NOW. And Maryland is FAR MORE like the northern cities I've lived in and visited. The people I know who live there agree and DO NOT LIKE IT when someone refers to them as "southern" because a.) they don't have accents and b.) they don't see themselves that way.

In fact, the numbers show that the majority of people in Maryland DO NOT consider themselves southern. So why are we putting htis label on a state that doesn't want it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,595,585 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
For me the Northern States are:
PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, MASS, VT, NH, and the upper Midwest.

The border states are:
MD, WEST VA, DE, MO

The UPPER SOUTH:
VA, KY, TN, NC

THE DEEP SOUTH
GA, SC, AL, MISS, LA, AK, AND NORTHERN FLORIDA

And then there's the rest of the country.....
I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
 
781 posts, read 1,094,315 times
Reputation: 609
This goes to the convo a page a two back, im originally Oakland C.A. been in Virginia and Maryland most of my life while I do see some diffrences between them i see far more similarities they share. Its funny seeing people from other places tell you how it is culturally where you reside but hey we all have our own look on things. Also our opinions may vary depeding on our cultures and the way we were raised because im mainly speaking as far my community goes the African American cummunity.

Last edited by Diff1; 01-08-2013 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,795,084 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
This goes to the convo a page a two back, im originally Oakland C.A. been in Virginia and Maryland most of my life while I do see some diffrences between them i see far more similarities they share. Its funny seeing people from other places tell you how it is culturally where you reside but hey we all have our own look on things. Also our opinions may vary depeding on our cultures and the way we were raised because im mainly speaking as far my community goes the African American cummunity.
It depends on where you are in VA. If you are in NOVA...yeah Maryland and VA are similar. I grew up in Southwest VA and its nothing like Maryland. It's very much culturally Appalachian...just like Eastern KY, Eastern TN, Western NC, and Upstate SC to some degree. Maryland to me is quintecentially Mid-Atlantic and when you start getting into the tentacles of NOVA...it feels Mid-Atlantic as opposed to traditionally southern IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM
 
Location: NYC
94 posts, read 191,429 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
It depends on where you are in VA. If you are in NOVA...yeah Maryland and VA are similar. I grew up in Southwest VA and its nothing like Maryland. It's very much culturally Appalachian...just like Eastern KY, Eastern TN, Western NC, and Upstate SC to some degree. Maryland to me is quintecentially Mid-Atlantic and when you start getting into the tentacles of NOVA...it feels Mid-Atlantic as opposed to traditionally southern IMO.
Totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Shaw.
2,226 posts, read 3,143,092 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
4. "Your" experts work at Penn, woopty effn doo. Who were the "experts" before these geniuses figured out this linguistic puzzle for all of us unENLIGHTENED folk?
Penn does have one of the best linguistic departments in the world. For what it's worth the Mid-Atlantic dialect (sometimes called Atlantic midland) is not purely a Northern accent. It's a cross between Northern and Southern, although there are a few more features in common with the North. Before the Civil War, Philadelphia was called (alternatively) the most Southern Northern City and the most Northern Southern City. Baltimore had that moniker as well (at times). Although, when the Civil War broke out, Baltimore had divided loyalties and Philly did not (dispelling that notion, I guess).

So, I wouldn't trash linguists on this one. They're just tracking dialectal shifts in America, not trying to show cultural regions. There's some logic in using linguistic maps to build cultural maps, but it obviously isn't everything.

Linguistically, the area south of Delaware is Southern. Take that how you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
6.I AM NOT THE ONE WHO HAS TO PROVE MARYLAND AS BEING SOUTHERN BECAUSE IF YOUR ILLITERATE *** COULD READ, I HAVE BEEN SAYING "MD/DC/VA are historically the South but MID ATLANTIC in logistical REALITY" and you agreed to the historical part yet ignored the other part and substituted Mid-Atlantic for Southern. R.I.F.
They are historically Southern. I think one of the main reasons for the shift was the fact that Maryland didn't have reconstruction. But neither did Kentucky, so that's not the other reason. There was also a lot of integration with other Northern cities, so that may have helped facilitate the shift.

[quote=757Cities Southsider;27654227]7.Although I can see how one could say MD is a part of the South...I HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT MD/DC/VA IS THE MIDATLANTIC, DE too. I HAVE ALSO SAID THAT IT IS NOT THE NORTHEAST BUT RATHER MID-ATLANTIC. R.I.F.

Some people use Mid-Atlantic as a subset of the Northeast. Both sides have a point on that one. I'm sure I don't need to tell you the argument against it. The argument for it, though, is that it's clearly part of the Northeast corridor and people in the region often act like they're in the Northeast (but there is a big city/small town and urban/rural divide).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
8. I never said they were southern accents, YOU DID, in your warped brain. They are interconnected though... Mid Atlantic-Tidewater-Early Modern English(upper class/ English West Country)...as this area is home to Englands first permanent settlement and colony. SMH.
The Tidewater accent is a subset of the Southern accent, though, while the Mid-Atlantic is not. I do enjoy a Tidewater accent. I wish I hear up here in Arlington. (You can hear it in southern Maryland south of DC, but not in it's home of Virginia (well, the northern part).)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
1,576 posts, read 2,536,238 times
Reputation: 1119
What about the West Coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 AM
 
Location: MD suburbs of DC
607 posts, read 1,092,467 times
Reputation: 426
Culturally speaking, here are my thoughts on "border states":

Maryland above the fall line (with most of the population of the state) is culturally Northern. Maryland below the fall line is culturally Southern, with the exception of a few areas in PG county bordering MoCo.



DC is Northern, but some eastern parts of the city do bear similarities to Southern MD, which is Southern.

Delaware north of and including Dover is Northern (which holds the vast majority of the state's population). Delaware south of Dover is Southern.

The lower third of Missouri is Southern. The rest of Missouri (with most of the state's population) is Northern.

The upper third of West Virginia is Northern. The rest of WV (where most of the population resides) is Southern.

Kentucky is entirely Southern apart from the Cincinnati suburbs.

Oklahoma is complicated. All I can say is that Oklahoma City and Tulsa are strongly Northern influenced, but south and west of the line between the cities are Southern. Not sure about population.

Virginia is mostly extremely Southern, but NoVA is much different from the rest of the state and I'd consider it Northern.

These are from both my own experiences and research. Obviously they're not perfect, but it's something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Reputation: 36087
Southern: All states south of the Ohio and Potomac Rivers, plue Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top