U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,231,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Southern: All states south of the Ohio and Potomac Rivers, plue Indiana.
Indiana is not a southern state Other than that, I agree with your logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,808,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Southern: All states south of the Ohio and Potomac Rivers, plue Indiana.
Again arrogance/stubbornness does not dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State plus Texas is definitely a Southwestern State......

Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,796,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Again arrogance/stubbornness does not dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State plus Texas is definitely a Southwestern State......
Wrong

Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM

607 posts, read 1,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I've seen your posts around the forum, and not once have you stated your reasons for thinking this. It seems like you're the stubborn one here, as many of us agree that MD is a Mid-Atlantic state. The few that don't at least come up with somewhat logical reasons for thinking so.

And before you say I'm yet another arrogant person from the Deep South, that isn't true. I've lived in NYC throughout my early childhood and currently live in Central MD. I seem to recall my middle school and high school teachers for American Studies saying that they doesn't know why Maryland and Delaware are still included in the South by the Census Bureau.

Texas is culturally Southern with the exception of the El Paso region, which has Southwestern.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,796,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
I've seen your posts around the forum, and not once have you stated your reasons for thinking this. It seems like you're the stubborn one here, as many of us agree that MD is a Mid-Atlantic state. The few that don't at least come up with somewhat logical reasons for thinking so.

And before you say I'm yet another arrogant person from the Deep South, that isn't true. I've lived in NYC throughout my early childhood and currently live in Central MD. I seem to recall my middle school and high school teachers for American Studies saying that they doesn't know why Maryland and Delaware are still included in the South by the Census Bureau.

Texas is culturally Southern with the exception of the El Paso region, which has Southwestern.
Don't waste your time reasoning with this troll. Just treat him like a misbehaven house pet.....tell him he is wrong and then disregard him.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,123,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Don't waste your time reasoning with this troll. Just treat him like a misbehaven house pet.....tell him he is wrong and then disregard him.
Exactly! It is a total waste of time. Periodically, this M$ person will show up and claim that anyone who takes issue with that Maryland is anything but a Southern state, must "hate Maryland." That is the whole speel in a nutshell.

There is no reasoning with whoeover this is, and it is a waste of time to try. To engage him/her is like trying to ask a parrot to logically explain what they just squawked out. LOL (*laughing at my own wit here, ya know! )

Anyway, like you say, just disregard/ignore this poster and it will eventually go away...until next time. But meanwhile, everyone else can carry on with intelligent discussion/debate.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,915,669 times
Default Mid-Atlantic we get but Northern or Southern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post

Historically before the Civil War, Maryland was Southern but I must admit it is hard to see it as a Southern state now. She simply fits in with the Northeastern states better. Having said that, someone posted a poll that showed that 40% of Marylanders think that their community is in the South.

Now that would mean that 60% of Marylanders either think that community is NOT in the South or they are unsure. Anyway you slice it though, you have to admit that 40% Southernn is still a very sizeable number. More than I would have thought. and it probably explains $mk.

I get the impression that because Marylanders are divided whether they are North or South, they tend to say Mid-Atlantic. But pretty much everyone already agrees Maryland is Mid-Atlantic so that still does not answer the question whether you think Maryland is North or South. Simply saying Maryland is Mid-Atlantic is a cop-out, the Mid-Atlantic is a subregion not one of the 4 main regions like the Northeast, Midwest, the South or the West.

As for me, my impression is that Maryland fits the definition of a border state to a T. She is Northern, Southern and yes Mid-Atlantic all rolled into one.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 PM

77 posts, read 117,734 times
My opinion..... I have seen things ridiculous on here Delaware Maryland the south??????????? Thats beyond idiotic honestly anyone who says that have you ever been in the south? EVERRR??? I am from Raleigh and now live in newport news close to norfolk va and have spent a lot of my life in columbia sc as well. These are all true southern cities military in norfolk and transplants in Raleigh they are still southern extremely southern. Baltimore, Wilmington, Dover are considered northern by everyoneeee I deal with in the south. Its wierd when on here I see them considered southern. I am ridiculed for saying D.C and the rest of the dmv is a zone where north is becoming south and vice versa. They say there is nothing southern about D.C

All that being said

Northeast 2 regions New England and Mid-Atlantic(which is part of the northeast)

New England- Maine, Mass, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Conneticut(Capital of new england is boston meaning cities here would have more in common with boston than most other large cities) Other cities include Providence, Portland(ME), Montpelier, Hartford, Bridgeport. Probably no argument here.

Mid-Atlantic- Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey(Capital is NYC but we will use philadelphia so to cause no confusion about transplants and NYC pace blah blah meaning these cities will be more like philadelphia than other cities in other regions) Other cities include Pittsburgh(rowhomes is northeastern not midwestern) buffalo, syracuse, trenton, newark, atlantic city, dover, baltimore, harrisonburg, annapolis wilmington. Some people try say buffalo and pittsburgh midwestern but they're not probably no argument here if there is feel free.

Than we have D.C.... I consider the dc/dmv area the transition point of north/ south if you were to call it one or the other I wouldn't argue most people i'm around are southern and think d.c is very northern though.

South is 2 regions as well Upper South and deep south 3 if you include the 3rd coast area between houston and new orleans

Upper south- Virginia, North Carolina Tennesee(except memphis area and chattanooga area they're deep south) Kentucky(capital is Charlotte meaning these cities have more in common with charlotte than other cities other regions) other cities include Richmond, Louisville, Raleigh, Norfolk, Roanoke, Lexington, Durham, Nashville, Knoxville, Frankfort, Greensboro.

Deep south- South Carolina, Georgia, Florida(idc about transplants and people from orlando and miami seem southern enough for me) Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas except the far western parts they're southwestern Texas is about 80 % deep south 20 % southwest not all southwestern at all dallas houston san antonio fort worth austin are very southern cities with southern accents el paso on the other hand lol. Capital is Atlanta(Houston and New Orleans i categorize as 3rd coast cities) Charleston, Baton Rouge, Jackson, Birmingham, Columbia, Savannah, Augusta, Bilouxi, Montgomery, Little Rock, Jacksonville, Talahasee, Mobile and all the other cities i named are other examples.

This is the way I break it down right or wrong this is the way I see it comment if necessary or if you dont agree

Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 PM

77 posts, read 117,734 times
O btw I did not mention West VA or Oklahoma because those 2 confuse me they are the only true (border) states as far as regions go and I dont like putting border states in either region some say Oklahoma is southwest some say south some say midwest to me Oklahoma City has more in common with Kansas city MO which is the capital of the Plains States a subregion of the midwest than the capital of southwest(Phoenix) or Atlanta (capital of south)so I guess I can try put oklahoma there but it really doesnt seem midwestern. Now Huntington and charleston west va are a whole different ballgame. I have no idea and I have been to west va it feels like great lakes uppersouth and midatlantic.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,001,256 times
I have driven through Missouri several times and have gotten interested in whether Missouri is mostly southeren or mid western. My over all impression is that there might not be a neat dividing line. Here are my impressions from my drive throughs:

Saint Louis: Definetly big city midwestern. None of the employees at the restaraunt by the Soulard market had southeren style accents. Even the local produce sellers at the market (presumably from outside the city) did not seem to be southeren.

Herman area: Almost entirely Mostly midwestern. A local store owner told me that all natives to the area that he knew had "6:00 clock news accents". Likewise, another person told me that she was from Jefferson City and that while there are southereners in the State, she did not self identify as southeren. Most churches seemed to be Lutheran or Catholic.

Cuba area: Mixed, but southeren food influences, southeren style accents, and mannerisms getting more noticable. Baptist churches more prevalant, but the area also had Knights of Columbus religous advertising. One house had a rebel flag and a statue of the Virgin Mary. I guess catholic in Missouri does not alway mean mid western orientation.

Waynesville, Lebanon, Rolla: Had fried catfish and fried Okra for lunch - definetly pretty southeren. Noticed that the numbers of Catholic and Lutheran churches had noticably deceased and were replaced by Baptist and independent evangelical churches. This trend seemed to continue to Oklahoma.

Last edited by Cryptic; 08-27-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or