U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM

71,964 posts, read 83,625,334 times

Advertisements

geographically anything above AR is mid western and from AR south is southern, but much depends on where you live in these states and whether you are talking culturally or officially. MO is a mixture of slightly southern and mid west: NWA is a mixture as well. Florida doesn't really seem all the southern and yet it is the as far south as you get. OK is southern, and yet it seems more SoWestern in attitude. Other than the true New England state, the deep south and the Pacific section of our country it becomes hard sometimes do decide what states belong to what regions. OK, we know WS and MInn are upper midwest and Colo is a Rocky mountain state, but there are many states that just do not have a true regional fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 PM

71,964 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Missouri just isn't a northern tier state in the least, geographically. Culturally it is split. Climatically it is on the fence or southern.
this is exactly why it becomes almost impossible to put some states in a group or region. Look at WV, it is not a southern state, but have you ever listened to people in WV talk? Believe me, my husbands family were almost all born and raised there; they all have accents and I don't mean NY accents. They also think like many southerners. Here in NWA we have so many transplants it doesn't hardly seem southern, but go farther south in the state and it is truly southern. Not as deep south as Al or Mississippi but south.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this is exactly why it becomes almost impossible to put some states in a group or region. Look at WV, it is not a southern state, but have you ever listened to people in WV talk? Believe me, my husbands family were almost all born and raised there; they all have accents and I don't mean NY accents. They also think like many southerners. Here in NWA we have so many transplants it doesn't hardly seem southern, but go farther south in the state and it is truly southern. Not as deep south as Al or Mississippi but south.
I would agree with that. It all depends on the continued influx of transplants into NW Arkansas. It is an island in the middle of the South. I do like some areas of the south for retirement purposes, but they tend to be much further east like the High Country of North Carolina, parts of central Virginia, and the Cumberland Plateau in TN. The key is to gain as much elevation as possible when moving further south as I'm used to a cooler type of climate.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:16 PM

862 posts, read 1,215,819 times
New England:
Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island

Northeast:
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania

Mid-Atlantic:
Maryland
Delaware
New Jersey
Virginia
North Carolina

The South:
Virginia
North Carolina
Tennessee
South Carolina
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Eastern Texas
Kentucky
Southern half of West Virginia

The Deep South:
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
Northern Florida

Midwest:
Texas
Kansas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Nebraska
Iowa

Great Lakes/Rust Belt region:
Michigan
Indiana
Wisconsin
Illinois
Ohio
Minnesota

Great Plains region:
North Dakota
South Dakota
Idaho
Wyoming
Montana

West:
California
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado
Utah
Nevada

Pacific northwest:
Alaska
Washington
Oregon
Northern California

Pacific:
Hawaii

Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
geographically anything above AR is mid western and from AR south is southern, but much depends on where you live in these states and whether you are talking culturally or officially. MO is a mixture of slightly southern and mid west: NWA is a mixture as well. Florida doesn't really seem all the southern and yet it is the as far south as you get. OK is southern, and yet it seems more SoWestern in attitude. Other than the true New England state, the deep south and the Pacific section of our country it becomes hard sometimes do decide what states belong to what regions. OK, we know WS and MInn are upper midwest and Colo is a Rocky mountain state, but there are many states that just do not have a true regional fit.
To the bolded, spot on.

As to the rest of the post, you nailed it too. There are more than just a few states that can be difficult classifying for some people, especially if they've never been to that state and/or respective region.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
New England:
Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island

Northeast:
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania

Mid-Atlantic:
Maryland
Delaware
New Jersey
Virginia
North Carolina

The South:
Virginia
North Carolina
Tennessee
South Carolina
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Eastern Texas
Kentucky
Southern half of West Virginia

The Deep South:
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
Northern Florida

Midwest:
Texas
Kansas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Nebraska
Iowa

Great Lakes/Rust Belt region:
Michigan
Indiana
Wisconsin
Illinois
Ohio
Minnesota

Great Plains region:
North Dakota
South Dakota
Idaho
Wyoming
Montana

West:
California
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado
Utah
Nevada

Pacific northwest:
Alaska
Washington
Oregon
Northern California

Pacific:
Hawaii
Wow. Okies/Texans would be quite stunned to learn we live in the "Midwest."

I think many of your other delineations are far off too, but each to his own, Friend!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,098,470 times
South:
Virginia (Southern)
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Texas (Eastern half)
Tennessee
Kentucky
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Missouri (Southern)

New England:
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut

Mid-Atlantic:
Pennsylvania
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
District of Columbia
Virginia
West Virginia

Midwest:
Ohio
Indiana
Michigan
Illinois
Missouri
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Great Plains:
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas

Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 PM

13 posts, read 20,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
For me the Northern States are:
PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, MASS, VT, NH, and the upper Midwest.

The border states are:
MD, WEST VA, DE, MO

The UPPER SOUTH:
VA, KY, TN, NC

THE DEEP SOUTH
GA, SC, AL, MISS, LA, AK, AND NORTHERN FLORIDA

And then there's the rest of the country.....
Mason Dixon line.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM

14 posts, read 13,633 times
South:
West Virginia
Virginia
Kentucky
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Texas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida

North:
The states above those states

Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,144,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Mid-Atlantic:
Pennsylvania
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
District of Columbia
Virginia
West Virginia
I basically agree with what you wrote, but it's hard for me to call West Virginia a Mid-Atlantic state. It's kind of in its own region with Pittsburgh and Eastern Ohio. But I don't know what I'd call it. The southern part of West Virginia is arguably like Tennessee or other parts of the Appalachian South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quezocotl View Post
Mason Dixon line.
The Mason Dixon line as the border of the South really stopped making sense with the 13th Amendment, and honestly with the Fugitive Slave Act. The whole point was that you can cross the line and become free. That's why people mistakenly believe Delaware is on the Southern side of the Mason-Dixon line. There are some people it still matters to (I know a girl from Louisiana who was told she can't go to a school north of the Mason-Dixon line), but few people really think of northern Maryland as Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or