U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Reputation: 11726

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Southern Culture goes DEEP into Florida. All the way down to South Florida. Yes. Florida is part of the South. The history of Florida is in line with the South.
"South Florida" is not well-defined. And it's rather big, right? Just like the Mid-Atlantic. You could argue that southern culture extends just as deep, if not deeper, into the Mid-Atlantic as it does into South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Ether way Maryland has a pretty large catholic population similar to how other Northern States like New Jersey and Massachusetts.
That's a pretty weak response.

Maryland's Catholic population (19%) is more similar to Virginia (14%) and Georgia (13%) than it is to New Jersey (39%) or Massachusetts (44%). Those are cold hard facts. You'd have to be an idiot to reach any other conclusion.

Besides, as I already showed in my previous post, the Catholic population in Maryland is rather small once you remove Hispanics and Filipinos, which are large populations in the DC area. New Jersey and Massachusetts are not just similar insofar as having Catholics in general, but having lots of white ethnic Catholics too. That's the difference between those states and states such as Florida, Texas or Arizona, which also have large numbers of Catholics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Blacks tend to be protestant regardless of what region it is.
Do you go out of your way to miss the point? I only said that African American denominations were excluded from the analysis. If we included the number of AA Baptists in Maryland in the calculations, it would dwarf the number of Catholics. This would not be the case, however, in Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, etc. since AAs do not make up nearly as large a percentage of the population. AA is also the largest ethnic group in Maryland, which is a fact that makes it more similar to states in the South than states in the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,471,112 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not completely true. Check out the data.

Massachusetts (419,090/6,646,144) = 6.30%
Rhode Island (50,414/1,050,292 = 4.18%
New York (2,106,847/19,570,261) = 10.76%
New Jersey (993,407/8,864,590) = 11.20%
Maryland (885,690/5,884,563) = 15%
Virginia (974,917/8,815,866) = 11.90%
North Carolina (1,036,724/9,752,073) = 10.63%
South Carolina (472,525/4,723,723) = 10.00%
Georgia (709,558/9,919,945) = 7.15%

As you can see, not many Germans chose to settle in Massachusetts and Rhode Island (and the rest of New England for that matter). And on the flipside, the Carolinas and Virginia had just as much German settlement as New York and New Jersey. If you drive through the Carolinas, you will find all types of little towns with German-sounding names.


History of the German Settlements - Orangeburg

So German settlement in some southern states was not dissimilar to German settlement patterns in much of the Northeast (the major exception being Pennsylvania). Maryland is actually much closer to Virginia and the Carolinas than it is to Pennsylvania in this regard (25%).

Besides, Maryland falls below the national average for German ancestry anyway (17.1%). It's not until you get to the Midwest where you start seeing percentages of German ancestry that are well above the national average (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio).

If there's any demographic trend that distinguishes the Northeast, Midwest and the South, it's that the Northeast has Italian, Irish and Jewish percentages above the national average while the Midwest has a German population well above the national average. Most of the South falls below the average for all of these populations. The South has a black population that far exceeds the national average (12%).

Maryland has an Italian population that falls below the national average, an Irish population that's right at the national average, a German population that's below average, a Jewish population that's above average, and a black population that's well above average (30.5%). Take that as you will.
I wonder why you mysteriously decided to exclude Pennsylvania of all states, from your stats.

So now your trying to downplay the history of German migration to Maryland and make it seem like it's insignificant. Here's another fact, a lot more Germans migrated to states North of the Potomac and Ohio river than they did to states south of that. It's becoming quite hilarious to see you disassociate cultural traits and aspects that make Maryland what it is, just to prove that it's somehow belongs to the south.

It's clearly obvious that Maryland has much more similar traits to Northern states than it does Southern states. I highly recommended you spend some more time in the state of Maryland and stop listening to some of these New Yorkers that are feeling your head with foolishness because some of them have bias opinions of the state even though they themselves have probably never even been there. That's something you could think about BajanYankee. I'm sure you like a good challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,471,112 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's a pretty weak response.

Maryland's Catholic population (19%) is more similar to Virginia (14%) and Georgia (13%) than it is to New Jersey (39%) or Massachusetts (44%). Those are cold hard facts. You'd have to be an idiot to reach any other conclusion.

Besides, as I already showed in my previous post, the Catholic population in Maryland is rather small once you remove Hispanics and Filipinos, which are large populations in the DC area. New Jersey and Massachusetts are not just similar insofar as having Catholics in general, but having lots of white ethnic Catholics too. That's the difference between those states and states such as Florida, Texas or Arizona, which also have large numbers of Catholics.


Do you go out of your way to miss the point? I only said that African American denominations were excluded from the analysis. If we included the number of AA Baptists in Maryland in the calculations, it would dwarf the number of Catholics. This would not be the case, however, in Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, etc. since AAs do not make up nearly as large a percentage of the population. AA is also the largest ethnic group in Maryland, which is a fact that makes it more similar to states in the South than states in the North.
You could say the very same thing if you remove the ethnic whites from states Like New Jersey, New York, etc. All your doing is merely picking and choosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wonder why you mysteriously decided to exclude Pennsylvania of all states, from your stats.
I didn't. I thought you were educated in Montgomery County? You may have been better off going to Bartram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Your now your trying to downplay the history of German migration to Maryland and make it seem like it's insignificant. Here's another fact, a lot more Germans migrated to states North of the Potomac and Ohio river than they did to states south of that. It's becoming quite hilarious to see you disassociate cultural traits and aspects that make Maryland what it is, just to prove that it's somehow belongs to the south.
You're clearly allergic to facts. Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey all have German populations that are below the national average. In many cases, the percentages are well below the national average (and lower than southern states). So if "Germanness" is supposed to be some barometer for "northerness," then those states clearly don't fit the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
clearly obvious that Maryland has much more similar traits to Northern states than it does Southern states. I highly recommended you spend some more time in the state of Maryland and stop listening to some of these New Yorkers that are feeling your head with foolishness because some of them have bias opinions of the state even though they themselves have probably never even been there. That's something you could think about BajanYankee. I'm sure you like a good challenge.
That's funny. I hope you've had a great time trolling as someone who's never lived in the DC-Baltimore region. You must have forgotten that I lived in DC for five years. And I still own property there so the District is still getting taxes from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You could say the very same thing if you remove the ethnic whites from states Like New Jersey, New York, etc. All your doing is merely picking and choosing.
It's not "picking and choosing" because "Catholic" is usually a proxy for "white ethnic." When Chris Matthews talks about "Catholics" resisting Obama, he's not talking about Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans (which Obama won quite easily). He's talking about Italians, Irish and other ethnic whites that were (are) lukewarm about him. If you compare voting patterns among "Catholics" in Staten Island and the Bronx, you get two completely different pictures.

Quote:
"When you talk about Catholics, there are really two Catholic votes, the white vote and the Hispanic vote, which look starkly different," said Robert Jones, chief executive of the Public Religion Research Institute.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A71M420121108

But if you want to be completely lugheaded and say that "Catholics are Catholics," we could say that New Mexico and Massachusetts are fairly similar because of their large Catholic populations. But that doesn't make any damned sense, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:19 PM
 
213 posts, read 247,821 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't. I thought you were educated in Montgomery County? You may have been better off going to Bartram.



You're clearly allergic to facts. Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey all have German populations that are below the national average. In many cases, the percentages are well below the national average (and lower than southern states). So if "Germanness" is supposed to be some barometer for "northerness," then those states clearly don't fit the bill.



That's funny. I hope you've had a great time trolling as someone who's never lived in the DC-Baltimore region. You must have forgotten that I lived in DC for five years. And I still own property there so the District is still getting taxes from me.
Ohhhh, so you know so much after 5 years....no substitute for not knowing statistics apart from the African American population. Allergic to facts? Maryland is still predominantly German, making it more like the Northeast and South. No Southern state has the kind of German population Maryland does. Face it. You've lost. Better wave the white flag now before a terrible to-do is rained down on you, Jack Sprat. I bet your property is an empty run-down shack. Quit paying extra taxes on it and get smart. Oh no, don't get mad at me for that, whatever will I do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,471,112 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not "picking and choosing" because "Catholic" is usually a proxy for "white ethnic." When Chris Matthews talks about "Catholics" resisting Obama, he's not talking about Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans (which Obama won quite easily). He's talking about Italians, Irish and other ethnic whites that were (are) lukewarm about him. If you look at voting patterns in Staten Island among "Catholics" and compare them with voting patterns in the Bronx among "Catholics," you get two completely different pictures.

But if you want to be completely lugheaded and say that "Catholics are Catholics," we could say that New Mexico and Massachusetts are fairly similar because of their large Catholic populations. But that doesn't make any damned sense, does it?
Weren't you just doing the same when you were boosting about how Maryland's Black population is so much higher than the other Northern States. You didn't have a problem lumping all the Black population together right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Weren't you just doing the same when you were boosting about how Maryland's Black population is so much higher than the other Northern States. You didn't have a problem lumping all the Black population together right?
That doesn't make any sense. Are you still in high school, man?

There are no discernible differences in voting and cultural patterns among African Americans all over the country. I mean, name one majority African American district in the country that Barack Obama lost this past election cycle? Aside from more superficial differences (style, speech patterns, etc.), African Americans all over the nation largely vote the same (about 90-95% Democratic), eat the same foods, are more religious than average, have similar attitudes towards same sex marriage, etc. There are no fundamental differences between blacks in Chicago and blacks in Los Angeles.

But there are fundamental differences between a Mexican-American hotel worker in Las Vegas and an Irish firefighter in Lowell, Massachusetts (maybe you can't tell though). That's why it makes sense to distinguish Hispanic Catholics from white ethnic Catholics. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,471,112 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
Ohhhh, so you know so much after 5 years....no substitute for not knowing statistics apart from the African American population. Allergic to facts? Maryland is still predominantly German, making it more like the Northeast and South. No Southern state has the kind of German population Maryland does. Face it. You've lost. Better wave the white flag now before a terrible to-do is rained down on you, Jack Sprat. I bet your property is an empty run-down shack. Quit paying extra taxes on it and get smart. Oh no, don't get mad at me for that, whatever will I do
The White population in the South was historically English and Scotch Irish. Germans largely settled in States like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, etc. They would later spread out to areas in the Midwest(which are also Northern states as well). Of course demographics can change overtime but that still doesn't change the historical aspects and facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top