U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,124,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Did you mean to type 'black farmers'? I don't get it...you've never seen or heard of a farmer who is black? I think that's fairly common...

Where did you go to school that Virginia seemed like another country to you? In my mind Virginia IS the U.S., from the earliest settlements to it's colonial importance to T.Jefferson's UVA to Washington D.C. being next door...it's ultra-American to me. Plus it's beautiful...much like N.C. geographically with the mountains, the piedmont and the coast. I sound like a Virginian...I don't know, I just have a totally different idea about the state and was surprised to read your post.
Yes, thats exactly what I meant. Up north we dont have that kind of thing. I grew up in a small town In Massachusettes. There aren't any blacks I knew growing up. I thought blacks only lived in the cities. And in the north thats generally where they live.

I was taken back when I saw country black people. But this was over 30 years ago. Maybe Virginia has changed to a more general American place since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 09:59 PM

699 posts, read 2,341,783 times
Wow...and people think racism is confined to the south. Yes, I'm quite sure Virginia and the rest of the world has changed in 30 years. But I don't think it was un-American before; but I do think that possibly you were sheltered in your world...

Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think there are a lot of Crackers living in places like Clewiston, Tampa, Key West and even Miami who would disagree with this, vasinger.

When we lived in Miami (northern, non-retiree, non-hispanic transplants), seemed like most people there called every place that wasn't in FL "up North"!

I was enjoying readng these posts until I saw yours. Why did you say it anyways??

You hear alot of black people refer to each other using the 'n' word, does it make it right? I can certainly tell you that if you ever referred to me using that word or anyone else Ive ever known they would see it at the least as an insult.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:22 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,710,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
You hear alot of black people refer to each other using the 'n' word, does it make it right? I can certainly tell you that if you ever referred to me using that word or anyone else Ive ever known they would see it at the least as an insult.
In certain situations, I agree.
If you want to consider it wrong all the time and in every circumstance then I disagree.

For personal converstations among friends or family it can be totally okay. Like when people know your just joking around.

If I had tons of money and was feeling stupid, I might consider getting a customized licence plate reading something silly like "CRACKER" if it'd make my friends laugh. (and if it wouldn't matter too much at my place of work )

Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I was enjoying readng these posts until I saw yours. Why did you say it anyways??

No insult intended, Carolina_native. If I'd have know it offended anyone, I wouldn't have used it. I'm not much good at guessing political correctness. As I said to vasinger: "vasinger--Perhaps the term cracker means white trash or redneck in your part of the south, but definitely not in Florida. There, that's what the native southern whites call themselves! They wear this name proudly!"

That's based on my experience in living in one state in the South. I had no idea it meant different things in different places.

I've seen a variation of this in other parts of the country. In NY where I'm originally from, you call an Italian a "guinea", you've got a fight on your hands. Imagine my surprise when I moved to the upper midwest where Italian restaurants, owned by Italians, have Italian hoagy sandwiches on their menus, except they call them "Guinea grinders" or "guinea sandwiches". I was floored! A few years ago, an Italian from the east coast who was here in St Paul on business went into one of those restaurants and saw the sandwich on the menu. He filed a complaint with the City Human Rights Commission!

Another variation I'm aware of is in Georgia. It is (or was) common to refer to a store with a Jewish owner as "the Jew store". You don't wanna say that up here!

We all have a lot to learn from one another, don't we?

Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Wow...and people think racism is confined to the south. Yes, I'm quite sure Virginia and the rest of the world has changed in 30 years. But I don't think it was un-American before; but I do think that possibly you were sheltered in your world...
No, not sheltered. It just wasn't part of her experience. The fact is, there are virtually no black farmers in New England, or for that matter, much else of the North. If barbedwire is guilty of anything, it's not knowing the history of this country. All those blacks in northern cities came from Southern farms! And fairly recently, too. They began moving up north in relatively small numbers because of job opportunities during WWI. The pace picked up in WWII for the same reason. By the late 50s/early 60s, the bulk of the migration occurred. Prior to the 60s, most big Northern cities had huge white majoritites, while many rural counties in GA, AL , LA, SC and MS were overwhelmingly black.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,068,869 times
I dont care if someone calls me a cracker or a h0nkey(censored). But my heritage is very diverse I wouldnt want to be called an anglo by someone. Im German, Irish, British, Cherokee, Seminole, and Jewish. Or just American mut. Even my facial hair is black, red, white, blonde, and brown. Just dont use that anglo term imparticular please. Anyway I have a hard time seeing Kentucky as southern or northern. Kinda the same with Texas. They're like their own altogether.

Last edited by the_pines; 02-21-2007 at 07:13 PM..

Old 02-22-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No, not sheltered. It just wasn't part of her experience. The fact is, there are virtually no black farmers in New England, or for that matter, much else of the North. If barbedwire is guilty of anything, it's not knowing the history of this country. All those blacks in northern cities came from Southern farms! And fairly recently, too. They began moving up north in relatively small numbers because of job opportunities during WWI. The pace picked up in WWII for the same reason. By the late 50s/early 60s, the bulk of the migration occurred. Prior to the 60s, most big Northern cities had huge white majoritites, while many rural counties in GA, AL , LA, SC and MS were overwhelmingly black.
In Virgnia today, we still have rural areas that have substantial black communities. Of course its nothing like Mississippi or Alabama. But even in northern Virginia there's a little town called St. Louis. Its just a blip on the map, but its all black. Most of them were former slaves in the region.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 PM

699 posts, read 2,341,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
In Virgnia today, we still have rural areas that have substantial black communities. Of course its nothing like Mississippi or Alabama. But even in northern Virginia there's a little town called St. Louis. Its just a blip on the map, but its all black. Most of them were former slaves in the region.

You do mean most of them are ANCESTORS of former slaves? They would have to be at least 150 years old to have been a slave...

Old 02-22-2007, 07:57 PM

Yes, I meant they were descendants of former slaves.

If you look at most Black people have sur names like Carter or Jefferson...

Well you can probably figure out where they got their surname.

"King" Robert Carter had something like 1,000 slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or