Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I do not understand this argument. Everyone has a different interpretation of this and I don't see why it matters.

To me, Mid-Atlantic is West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

South is Kentucky, Tenn, Ark, Alabama, Miss., Fla, GA, North and South Carolina.

Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada are the Southwest to me.

California, Washington, and Oregon are the west, along with Alaska. Hawaii is also the west I guess.

Midwest is Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and anything else I'm forgetting.

That's MY interpretation. Who cares if someone else thinks that Virginia is the south? It's only a classification for crying out loud.
Why do include KY in the South, but not VA-when KY and VA are parellell to each other??? VA is much more southern than KY.

Saying New Jersey and Virginia in the same breadth, is like saying Jesus and Adolf Hitler IMO.

They are so different, they cant be part of the same region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
What does the green on that map mean? That green covers me in southwest Missouri and I'm wondering if I need to close my windows to ensure I don't breathe it in?
What is the point of the green coloring and what does it signify?
The green area represents what is known as the "Upper South". I got it off of Wikipedia.

They know their stuff.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:43 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Default Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Im sorry, but anywhere south of Orlando, FL is not Southern. It may be in the South, but its not the South in my book.
I think there are a lot of Crackers living in places like Clewiston, Tampa, Key West and even Miami who would disagree with this, vasinger.

When we lived in Miami (northern, non-retiree, non-hispanic transplants), seemed like most people there called every place that wasn't in FL "up North"!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Floridians not southerners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
A lot of the old souther don't place the word "Southern" on a place, so much as a lifestyle and attitude. When I was in Charleston SC we used to talk about this a lot with locals. They don't consider Floridan to have the South in the veins, so to speak.
Well they better not say this to my brother-in-law, whose proud family goes back many generations in Florida, and whose forbearers fought for the Confederacy in the "War Between the States". Those Charleston boys'll have a "fot" on their hands!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think there are a lot of Crackers living in places like Clewiston, Tampa, Key West and even Miami who would disagree with this, vasinger.

When we lived in Miami (northern, non-retiree, non-hispanic transplants), seemed like most people there called every place that wasn't in FL "up North"!
I dont like the term Cracker. Isnt if funny how this site says you arent allowed to use racial slurs but you can say "white trash" "redneck" etc?

Anyways, in my opinion, Northern Florida is right southern, but its just too transient south of Orlando to be southern. Tallahassee, Jacksonville, etc are nice southern college towns. But thats about it.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I dont like the term Cracker. Isnt if funny how this site says you arent allowed to use racial slurs but you can say "white trash" "redneck" etc?
vasinger--Perhaps the term cracker means white trash or redneck in your part of the south, but definitely not in Florida. There, that's what the native southern whites call themselves! They wear this name proudly!

Old 02-13-2007, 06:36 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Virginia is a South-Atlantic state.

Geogrphically, Climate wise, and everything else.[/img]
I will agree that Virginia is a Southern State.
I've even toured the White House of the Confederacy in Richmond.
Nice place.

But now that you bring the Atlantic into question, Virginia is not South Atlantic. (IMHO)

The South Atlantic has the warm Gulf Stream keeping winter sea temps above 45 F, allowing shrimp to survive. Summer sea temps well above 80 F normally, which strengthen hurricanes as they pass over.

Most of the time I've seen that maps with sea temps were 75-78 F in August, north of Cape Hatteras.
Nowhere else along the Atlantic or Gulf Coast (in the South) do they get summer sea temps below 80 F.

Cape Hatteras in central NC is the dividing line for me since it catches the last bit of the Gulf Stream before it heads off to England.

Garderners near the beach where the Gulf Stream passes can grow Cabbage Palmettos with ease, thanks to all this extra heat.

I've looked at sea temp charts and even southeastern Virginia's coastal sea temps are more like Delaware and southern NJ than southern NC and southward.

Tell me this, if you went swimming in the ocean at Virginia beach in a heat wave, could the water feel almost as warm as a bathtub?

In Myrtle Beach, without a heatwave the sea in August is warm enough you can't detect it cooling you. When it's 96-98 F, it's as warm as pee, (easily into the low 90's F sea temp) even when you get up to your shoulders in it.

With a diving mask and snorkel, I've even seen small some tropical fish in Myrtle Beach.

*Sorry Vasinger for giving you a hard time.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I will agree that Virginia is a Southern State.
I've even toured the White House of the Confederacy in Richmond.
Nice place.

But now that you bring the Atlantic into question, Virginia is not South Atlantic. (IMHO)

The South Atlantic has the warm Gulf Stream keeping winter sea temps above 45 F, allowing shrimp to survive. Summer sea temps well above 80 F normally, which strengthen hurricanes as they pass over.

Most of the time I've seen that maps with sea temps were 75-78 F in August, north of Cape Hatteras.
Nowhere else along the Atlantic or Gulf Coast (in the South) do they get summer sea temps below 80 F.

Cape Hatteras in central NC is the dividing line for me since it catches the last bit of the Gulf Stream before it heads off to England.

Garderners near the beach where the Gulf Stream passes can grow Cabbage Palmettos with ease, thanks to all this extra heat.

I've looked at sea temp charts and even southeastern Virginia's coastal sea temps are more like Delaware and southern NJ than southern NC and southward.

Tell me this, if you went swimming in the ocean at Virginia beach in a heat wave, could the water feel almost as warm as a bathtub?

In Myrtle Beach, without a heatwave the sea in August is warm enough you can't detect it cooling you. When it's 96-98 F, it's as warm as pee, (easily into the low 90's F sea temp) even when you get up to your shoulders in it.

With a diving mask and snorkel, I've even seen small some tropical fish in Myrtle Beach.

*Sorry Vasinger for giving you a hard time.

Actually, VA Beach is zone 8 region, and Richmond does have a sub tropical climate zone. I looked it up.

The weather changes at about Fredericksburg, VA. North and West of Fredericksburg is zone 6.

VA's long steamy hot summers are more proof.

And dont forget that cotton also grows in VA.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 AM

"And dont forget that cotton also grows in VA."

Well, if cotton is a criteria for Southern, you'd better include Illinois, too. Cotton's a cash crop in the southern part of that state!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:47 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
OF COURSE Virginia is a Southern state. Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy! And even today the state still has a conservative, southern voting record. Plus they talk like Southerners.

You have to get into Maryland before you start to become Northern. Many Southerners I know who have driven up I-95 don't realize they're really in the Northeast until they hit Baltimore when they see all the heavy industry, factories, etc along the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.