Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,509 times

Advertisements

Native Mississippian. The South, to me, is Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South and North Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucky, the Florida panhandle and east Texas. I lived in Maryland for a while and had people earnestly tell me, "Oh, it's so Southern here, like Gone with the Wind." Ah, no. I don't feel like I'm in the South until I hit the NC stateline. A lot of stuff goes into a it, the South shares a certain culture, accents, food, music, climate, and atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Native Mississippian. The South, to me, is Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South and North Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucky, the Florida panhandle and east Texas. I lived in Maryland for a while and had people earnestly tell me, "Oh, it's so Southern here, like Gone with the Wind." Ah, no. I don't feel like I'm in the South until I hit the NC stateline. A lot of stuff goes into a it, the South shares a certain culture, accents, food, music, climate, and atmosphere.
Why do you consider Kentucky Southern, but not Virginia? Virginia is just as southern as Kentucky, if not more.

Maryland is a border state.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I disagree. Washington DC has turned a large portion of Virginia into "the north". Anywhere north of Richmond, they don't have a conservative southern voting record, and they definitely don't talk like southerners. I went to school with some northern VA people, and they talk like they are from New Jersey.

You can make a case that Virginia is a "southern state", mainly b/c of it's history. But the demographics of it today are different than they were 250 years ago when it was undisputedly southern. I don't consider it southern, but I can see where someone would.
Are you kidding?

I grew up in Northern Virginia and I sure dont talk like someone from New Jersey.

Of course, i was a rarity in Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia has people from all over.

I dont consider Washington a northern city, either.

Northern Virginia is a melting pot now

But Richmond, Charlottesville, and The Shenandoah Valley are distinctly Southern.

And Northern Virgnia was very Southern just about 40 years ago. Not 250 years ago.

Last edited by vasinger; 03-09-2007 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-09-2007, 02:40 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times
The South to me is Virginia on south. Ive been to up state Virginia and there are alot of transplants there but the state outside this confined area tends to be Southern.

There are good but sad examples of places all over the South that have disrupted the area culturally such as DC, Atlanta, good amounts of Florida, and in NC the Raleigh and Charlotte areas. Areas overrun with transplants and shopping centers, but when you venture outside these areas it is predominantly Southern.

Kentucky Ive never been to so cant really say.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:38 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Are you kidding?

I grew up in Northern Virginia and I sure dont talk like someone from New Jersey.

Of course, i was a rarity in Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia has people from all over.

I dont consider Washington a northern city, either.

Northern Virginia is a melting pot now

But Richmond, Charlottesville, and The Shenandoah Valley are distinctly Southern.

And Northern Virgnia was very Southern just about 40 years ago. Not 250 years ago.
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But I've spent a fair amount of time in NOVA, and by my standards, it's not southern. I remember going out with a friend, socially, and meeting all of her friends. They all mocked the way that I talked (in a sort-of friendly way). They seemed really amused that I drove a pickup truck, like that was something unusual. One person got upset when I told them I liked to bird hunt. People on the roads drove like northerners, people in the stores talked like northerners, and people had only vaguely heard of grits.

I don't know how you define 'southern', but they definitely flunked my test.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:28 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I always thought the regions of the U.S. were grouped by location, not by how alike and how different they are??? If a state is in the Northeast then it's in the Northeast, no matter how much it might seem a little midwestern. I mean, Florida is about as south as there is, so it seems strange not to include because of it's retiree popluation. Am I off base or is this regional question already decided by where the states are positioned?
A Talahassee native once told me that (present day) Florida is the only state in the Union from which you have to travel north to really be in the South!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But I've spent a fair amount of time in NOVA, and by my standards, it's not southern. I remember going out with a friend, socially, and meeting all of her friends. They all mocked the way that I talked (in a sort-of friendly way). They seemed really amused that I drove a pickup truck, like that was something unusual. One person got upset when I told them I liked to bird hunt. People on the roads drove like northerners, people in the stores talked like northerners, and people had only vaguely heard of grits.

I don't know how you define 'southern', but they definitely flunked my test.
Thats because they're not native Virginians. Or their parents were from some place else.

You obviously know little about Virginia. I have lived here my whole life. I am Southern and my whole family has been here for 12 generations.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
Quote:
Thats because they're not native Virginians. Or their parents were from some place else.

You obviously know little about Virginia. I have lived here my whole life. I am Southern and my whole family has been here for 12 generations.
Your harping and self-righteousness on this issue is really irritating.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Are you sure you aren't anonymous?

y'all sound a lot alike.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:51 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
Quote:
Are you sure you aren't anonymous?

y'all sound a lot alike.
Right, because we both happen to share an opinion that you disagree with....

We don't sound alike. Anonymous is nicer and more articulate than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.