Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 11:00 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
Where does Florida fit in?
New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
New Jersey.
All of it?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 44,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Missouri I put in as a border state because although its midwestern geographically, it probably has the stongest southern feel to it. Kansas does too

Missouri also claimed a lot in the Confederacy, even though it offically went with the union, and southern MO borders on Arkansas and TN so thats definitely more southern, than midwestern.

Virginia is a state that confuses people. Its like the Old South in many areas, but because its the furthest north of the southern states, some people include in the Mid-Atlantic region, or even Northeast (both of which are inccorrect)

I always consider Virginia "Upper South" along with Kentucky. I put Maryland and West Virginia as border states- because that part of West VA that goes north of the Mason-Dixon line, and Maryland is a mix of northern and southern culture.
thank you. missouri does have a mighty southern feel to it.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:42 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,388,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri guh314 View Post
thank you. missouri does have a mighty southern feel to it.
Are you kidding me? Missouri doesn't feel the least bit Southern to me except in far Southeast Missouri, far South Central Missouri, and in the bootheel. Missouri feels a lot more Northern to me than Southern, and I've been to just about every Southern state there is. And you being from St. Louis, it astounds me how you would think Missouri is Southern, because there is nothing Southern about St. Louis.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 44,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Are you kidding me? Missouri doesn't feel the least bit Southern to me except in far Southeast Missouri, far South Central Missouri, and in the bootheel. Missouri feels a lot more Northern to me than Southern, and I've been to just about every Southern state there is. And you being from St. Louis, it astounds me how you would think Missouri is Southern, because there is nothing Southern about St. Louis.
where im from it is

Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,388,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri guh314 View Post
where im from it is
And where exactly are you from, since you seem to think it's southern and can't even elaborate on it? Eureka? Oakville? Wildwood? Because none of those places are southern. And describe how it's southern if you're even capable.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,177 times
Default Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
New Jersey.
Florida is south. MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, LA, AL, (all southern states).

Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
And where exactly are you from, since you seem to think it's southern and can't even elaborate on it? Eureka? Oakville? Wildwood? Because none of those places are southern. And describe how it's southern if you're even capable.
I can't speak for this person, but some of the counties on the Arkansas or Tennessee border are at least somewhat Southern. By that I mean strong Southern Baptist influence, country music is highly popular, Ozark accent is spoken in parts, etc.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 AM

375 posts, read 799,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I can't speak for this person, but some of the counties on the Arkansas or Tennessee border are at least somewhat Southern. By that I mean strong Southern Baptist influence, country music is highly popular, Ozark accent is spoken in parts, etc.

I agree with the Baptist part (though Baptists are prevalent in all of Missouri, even a few places in Southern Iowa and Southern Illinois). However, the country music thing is bunk. Country music is the most listened to genre, and seems to be pretty popular outside the South in places like Iowa, Indiana, Ohio Nebraska, Kansas, the Dakotas, a few of the Western states, shoot even parts of California its popular (though it might be do to the Okie influence).

Anyways, I always considered the old confederacy and Texas (though really only East Texas) as the South. Missouri certainly has southern elements (Branson and Springfield are border cities, but definitely have southern elements). Anyone who says Kansas is southern has to be kidding themselves. Yes it is very religious and conservative, but any state that not only fought for the union, but was basically the flashpoint for the civil war (google, "Bleeding Kansas) should not be a southern state. I would group most of Kansas though with northern Missouri and Southern Illinois Indiana and Ohio and the lower midwest. Its kind of where there is a blend of north and south.

Heck look at the cities in the area. Kansas City and Saint Louis are very midwestern, but have southern elements (BBQ, lots of african americans, significant amount of baptists, historic economic ties to some parts of the south) even Louisville, Cincinnati and yes even Pittsburgh have these elements due to being geographically close to the South

Old 10-27-2012, 05:32 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Anyways, I always considered the old confederacy and Texas (though really only East Texas) as the South.
Uhhh, the Old Confederacy and Texas? Are you making an historical distinction? If so? How are they seperated? In fact, Texas was one of the 7 original charter members of the Confederacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.