Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,230,735 times

Advertisements

Thanks Gunner. In WV the south/north line runs on a diagonal. This is a map of the Confederate counties in WV from 1861, and the gray line is the furthest extent of southern dialect as per the Univ. of PA Linguistics Dept., and 150 years separate the two maps. Not that everyone below the line has a southern accent, but that it is the furthest north of native born speakers found with southern accents.

(self-made public domain map using Wikipedia map and Telsur linguistics map)

File:Wvmapagain.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

South Regional Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 06:45 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,309,824 times
New England:

New York
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New Hampshire
New Jersey
Vermont
Maine

Mid Atlantic
Maryland
Delaware
Pennslyvania
Virginia

The Deep South
Mississippi
Louisiana
Alabama
Georgia

The South
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Tennessee
South Carolina
North Carolina
Kentucky
Arkansas
West Virginia
Virginia

Midwest
Texas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa
South Dakota
North Dakota

Great Lakes Region
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan
Ohio
Indiana

Southwest
Arizona
New Mexico
Utah
Nevada

Pacific Coast Region
California
Oregon
Washington

Great Plains Region
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado

Pacific states
Alaska
Hawaii

Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
New England:

New York
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New Hampshire
New Jersey
Vermont
Maine

Mid Atlantic
Maryland
Delaware
Pennslyvania
Virginia

The Deep South
Mississippi
Louisiana
Alabama
Georgia

The South
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Tennessee
South Carolina
North Carolina
Kentucky
Arkansas
West Virginia
Virginia

Midwest
Texas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa
South Dakota
North Dakota

Great Lakes Region
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan
Ohio
Indiana

Southwest
Arizona
New Mexico
Utah
Nevada

Pacific Coast Region
California
Oregon
Washington

Great Plains Region
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado

Pacific states
Alaska
Hawaii
Texas and Oklahoma are not the Midwest, they are a combination of western and southern depending on what part of those states you're in. The Great Lakes states are referred to as the Midwest in much of the country. Iowa is solidly Midwest, but the states west of there are a mixture of western and midwestern. The eastern extent of the Midwest is also a mixture of appalachian, midwestern, and northeastern. (NE Ohio).

Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,170,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Missouri is considered by most to be a Midwestern state. The southern part where I live is a place where some southern mixes in, but is predominantly Midwestern in feel, self-perception, and culture. However, if you go to the southwest or southeast of Springfield toward Ava, West Plains, etc., or toward Branson, it becomes noticeably southern in outlook and feel.
The Missouri bootheel is pretty much "southern" in flavor tucked there inbetween Tennessee and Arkansas.

I've always considered the North to be New England, New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
I've always considered the South to be Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana...along with the south Texas coast.

I've always considered the Midwest to be Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri.
I've always considered the Plains states to be the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and north Texas.
The West I've always considered any state west of the identified Plains states.

Whether these are the same as other people see them, I don't know, but that's always been my perception.
I agree with everything, with the possible exception of Delaware (especially northern Delaware) being southern

Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,851,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I agree with everything, with the possible exception of Delaware (especially northern Delaware) being southern
Northern Delaware is southern too! Quite a large portion of Philly's metro is Southern.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 10-31-2012 at 11:00 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,170,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Northern Delaware is southern too! Quite a large portion of Philly's metro is Southern.
First, New Castle county (the county of Delaware that is "considered" part of the Philly metro) has less than 1/10 of the Philly metro area population (so much for "a large portion Philly's metro"). Second, New Castle Delaware, and Cecil county MD, are in no way part of Philadelphia city which is entirely the is located in the Northeastern United states of course (along with Philly's suburban PA and NJ counties) . Third, I only consider suburban Pennsylvania and New Jersey counties a part of the Philly's metro. Fourth, don't get mad cause you live in the southern city that we call Baltimore. Embrace it lol.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM

932 posts, read 1,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
First, New Castle county (the county of Delaware that is "considered" part of the Philly metro) has less than 1/10 of the Philly metro area population (so much for "a large portion Philly's metro"). Second, New Castle Delaware, and Cecil county MD, are in no way part of Philadelphia city which is entirely the is located in the Northeastern United states of course (along with Philly's suburban PA and NJ counties) . Third, I only consider suburban Pennsylvania and New Jersey counties a part of the Philly's metro. Fourth, don't get mad cause you live in the southern city that we call Baltimore. Embrace it lol.
I'm confused as to what you're trying to say here.. Are you saying he's wrong because Cecil and New Castle aren't part of the Phila metro in your opinion? Because Wilmington is closer to Philly than West Chester is.

More to the point, I don't consider Delaware nor Maryland to be Southern states. Kent and Sussex counties in Delaware may be rural, but they account for less than half of Delaware's total population. New Castle county is a strong mix of urban and suburban and pretty dense.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,160,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There is NOTHING southern about Philly.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:00 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
There is NOTHING southern about Philly.
Before long, Canada will have southern influences good grief. If someone thinks Philadelphia is southern in any way shape or form they need to have their head checked.

And I thought I had a very broad definition of the south....

Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,753,484 times
NORTHEAST: New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania

MIDWEST: Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa

HYBRID: Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Missouri

SOUTH: Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma

Then there's the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.