Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
There is NOTHING southern about Philly.
Part of its metro is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Part of its metro is.
At the end of the day, the city of Philadelphia is entirely located in the northeast, embodies the northeast, and it is one of the quintessential northeastern cities, which is all that matters. I could care less about far outreaches of the metro area (New Castle and Cecil counties). Are you upset that the city of Baltimore is factually a southern city (along with its entire metro)? Embrace it.

In all, just because a city is located in whatever specific region, it does not necessarily mean that one city is automatically better than the other city of course. Its just what it is (sorry for the cliche).

Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Washington DC is not apart of the South. Cease & desist with those claims people!

It's 2012, it can be argued Washington is possibly even more so northern than Philadelphia.
Lol Ive heard it all now. That is 100% false! I said before and I'll say it again. Philadelphia is entirely located in the northeast, embodies the northeast, and it is one of the quintessential northeastern cities and is factually more northern in culture than DC. On the other hand DC is southern by the census definition. Washington DC is like a urban version of Atlanta imo. Washington DC is the most southern BosWash city culturally. The black natives sound sound even more southern than black people from Chicago and the White accent is neutral/non existent because the transient nature of the area. Let me guess DC is sooo fast paced right lol! The Washington D.C architecture also has a pleasant southern influence

Last edited by nephi215; 11-01-2012 at 10:27 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I just moved here 2 months ago & I wasn't born in the United States so all this northern & southern stuff has been a cultural experience for me.

So my opinion is not biased to make Washington out to be more than it is- in this case "northern". It's just an observation. I stand by what I said, culturally Washington is 100% not southern and it can definitely be argued that a place that's 50% transplant (metropolitan by the way) cannot be southern. Another 23% foreign born. So that leaves 27% to the natives, so if it even was southern- not by much if at all.

What are these "quintessential Northeastern" traits you speak of?
The quintessential northeastern traits that I am talking about are large concentrations of Puerto rican and Dominican Hispanic American populations. Also a large concentration of Italian, Irish, Jewish and Russian Americans and other white ethnic populations. A ivy league school. A large west Indian population (Jamaican, Trinidadian, Haitian etc). A distinctive accent that is identifiable. All of these traits are all present in Philly, NJ cites, NYC, CT cities, RI and Boston but nearly all of these traits do not exist in DC. I would say from an urban standpoint DC has definitely has northern influences (transit and rowhouses and busy dt workforce)

Last edited by nephi215; 11-01-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 PM

886 posts, read 1,562,952 times
valentro, Toronto is a Canadian city that's apart of the Great Lakes megaregion. Does that make Toronto a Midwestern city or better yet an American city?

Puerto Rico is apart of the US, those born there are Ethnically Puerto Ricans instead of Americans.

Vancouver is apart of a mega region with Seattle, called Cascadia. Does this now make Vancouver an American city?

Yes D.C. is connected by sprawl to the Northeast but it's both a Southern city and a BosWash city. Don't overlap BosWash to mean "Northeast", it's a dual regional mega region just like the other examples I mentioned. D.C.'s history started off in the south, being in the south is not a bad thing. It just is what it is. There are several nice cities in the south like Miami, Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta. There's nothing to be ashamed about, the culture and history of the south are as vast as its geography.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
The quintessential northeastern traits that I am talking about are large concentrations of Puerto rican and Dominican Hispanic American populations. Also a large concentration of Italian, Irish, Jewish and Russian Americans and other white ethnic populations. A ivy league school. A large west Indian population (Jamaican, Trinidadian, Haitian etc). A distinctive accent that is identifiable. All of these traits are all present in Philly, NJ cites, NYC, CT cities, RI and Boston but nearly all of these traits do not exist in DC. I would say from an urban standpoint DC has definitely has northern influences (transit and rowhouses and busy dt workforce)
What's this "thing" you have with Puerto Ricans? Furthermore, Baltimore has ethnic white (90% of the white people I know are Irish or Italian), Caribbean, Jewish people, as well as an Ivy league school, but Baltimore is still the south.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 11-01-2012 at 11:41 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What's this "thing" you have with Puerto Ricans? Furthermore, Baltimore has ethnic white (90% of the white people I know are Irish or Italian), Caribbean, Jewish people, as well as an Ivy league school, but Baltimore is still the south.
Sneaky sneaky guy you are. Baltimore is more Irish and Italian than D.C. but it's more in line with its southeastern big brothers Miami and Atlanta.

There are only 8 Ivy League schools and none are in the south (MD, D.C., VA, FL, GA, TX, NC, SC, TN, OK, AR, MS, AL, KY) Ivy League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ivy League schools are historically tied to the northeast. They're our regions crown jewels because all Ivy Leagues are exclusively Northeastern. The first schools in the US and the most prestigious schools in all of the world.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
That's a fair point. I'm really in tune with statistics & your points are fair- they check out. Irish, Italian, Jewish, Caribbean, Russian, & Puerto Rican are not as prominent in Washington as the rest of the Northeast.

A few quibbles though:

- You said yourself a post ago that "Washington is the southernmost Bos-Wash city". Bos-Wash is essentially another way to say coastal Northeast, so therefore you acknowledged that it's a Northeastern city?

- While Washington's demographics don't share anything in common with Philadelphia & Boston by immigration, they don't share anything with anywhere else either. For example, there are only two sets in the United States. The Northeastern cities of New York, Boston, & Philadelphia with their Hispanic/Latino stronghold primarily being Caribbean where as everywhere else in the United States having theirs as Mexican. Now the only two anomaly's to this are Miami (Cubans) & Washington (El Salvadoran).

- I don't know but I've been to Boston recently & the Irish/Italian characteristics of the city while still prideful & proud, have washed away after generations. Most "Irish" & "Italians" there these days are just Americans, born & raised. Many cant even speak Italian and quite a lot of them haven't even been to Italy before. I would say, it's more of a relic in history now.

Washington on the otherhand has been gaining transplants from everywhere, immigrants from all over, & it's sprawl is now connected to Baltimore (a northern city). While there's a sizable gap in Cecil County by that river where development is non-existent for at least 20 miles, that's just a small ink mark to a massive connection Washington has with the rest of the corridor.
The BosWash is just a term for the string of 5 large urban metros that are in a adjacent linear layout which all are connected through rail service and are all somewhat similar from an urban standpoint. BosWash corridor is not conterminous with the northeast because that would leave out the parts of PA, NJ, NY, RI, VT, MA, ME and NH that are not located on the corridor which all make up the northeastern US. The USA is divided by regions on a state basis and not a city or metro basis. In all, so yes is Washington DC is a BosWash city (of course, it is it part of its namesake) which is a form of urban proximity bondage and not exactly a cultural bondage. I wouldn't say DC is southern, but I wouldn't it is northeastern either imo.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 PM

nephi215's right. Thats the best way to put it.

That's the best description for D.C., that it's neither northeastern or southern. It's in it's own little world, midatlantic is broad because it includes states from both the south and northeast (NJ, PA, NY, DE, MD, VA, WV, NC).

D.C.'s culturally nothing like Boston, Philly, or NYC though. I can tell you that off the bat.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
nephi215's right. Thats the best way to put it.

That's the best description for D.C., that it's both northeastern or southern. It's in it's own little world, midatlantic is broad because it includes states from both the south and northeast (NJ, PA, NY, DE, MD, VA, WV, NC).

D.C.'s culturally nothing like Boston, Philly, or NYC though. I can tell you that off the bat.
I agree with both you and nephi on DC; it's 40 miles away from Baltimore, but the cultures are completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.